The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2001, 09:01 PM   #1
Jordan

First of all, I was having a failure to extract. Extractor seemed fine. Replaced it anyway. Problem continued.

Traced problem to a raised hump at the 6 o'clock position of the chamber. Seems the barrel set screw thing had been tightened too much (or something) and bulged into the chamber causing my tight extractions.

Can the chamber be reamed out? Now that the set screw has been overtightened will I have trouble getting it snug without going too deep and damaging the chamber again?

Another question: This gun is old... don't know how old. But there is not a serial number anywhere on it that I can see. When did Rem start using serial numbers? Is there any way to determine the age of this thing?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old April 20, 2001, 05:20 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jordan, the 514 was made from 1948 to 1970. Serial numbers were not required until after 1968. I wouldn't fool with getting it re-chambered or whatever although you could. This particular rifle is worth more as a shooter than as a collector so I'd just replace the barrel. It will be cheaper. Gun Parts http://www.e-gunparts.com sells new blued barrels for the 514 for around $40 shipped. George