The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 6, 2016, 01:38 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

In light of today's views, I will have to be another nay-sayer to the idea of a too-realiistic toy. They put those orange muzzle caps on toys for a reason.

Hi, Swathdiver,

You wrote, "...law(s) in many states such as Florida, do not consider the cap and ball revolver a firearm... One can open carry, conceal carry and take them to school for example."

Maybe in Florida, but in every jurisdiction I know, the laws on carrying a gun do NOT exempt cap and ball revolvers (or other antiques or repros). Nor do laws on bringing guns into schools or other prohibited areas. And laws against armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, or attempted murder do not limit those crimes to guns using metallic cartridges. A C&B Remington might be legal to buy or own without many restrictions, but in other sections of the criminal code it is a deadly weapon, the same as a Glock.

Jim
Old June 8, 2016, 03:35 AM   #27
swathdiver

Quote:
Maybe in Florida, but in every jurisdiction I know, the laws on carrying a gun do NOT exempt cap and ball revolvers (or other antiques or repros). Nor do laws on bringing guns into schools or other prohibited areas. And laws against armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, or attempted murder do not limit those crimes to guns using metallic cartridges. A C&B Remington might be legal to buy or own without many restrictions, but in other sections of the criminal code it is a deadly weapon, the same as a Glock.
Florida law on antique firearms mirrors Federal Law with the exception of ammunition.

In Federal and Florida for example, neither are deadly nor dangerous weapons or devices, they are specifically excluded from being such by definition. Check out Florida's Chapter 790 and Federal Title 18, Section 921.

An yes, I also stated previously, if one commits a crime with their '51 Navy or '61 Springfield Rifle, it by law is now classed as a firearm. A sign on a police station that says "all firearms" does not legally include antique firearms, they must use the term to include them.

However, one prosecutor somehow managed to convince a judge that the addition of a fiber optic sight converted the antique firearm into a firearm to jam up an ex-con wishing to lawfully hunt with one.
Old June 8, 2016, 10:19 AM   #28
foolzrushn

Another problem for a small child would be weight. It might be difficult to hold something with larger (for a kid) grips, that was heavy. Our old roll cap guns were pretty light (zinc?? always heard it called 'pot metal').

But if you think about it, there were other things that we learned with roll cap guns,even though they weren't authentic. We learned how to holster, and how it flapped around when you ran....unless you tied it to your leg gunslinger style.

We learned to reload another roll during a heated battle. And definately...how to clear jams from the part that pushes the caps up. Some of those things were not safety counter-productive. And while pointing it at other kids was, there were always plenty of imaginary bad guys, bears, alligators (anything with big teeth!). I remember shooting at the TV a lot helping the Lone Ranger and Tonto.

A good metal roll cap gun is harder to find these days, but it seems I saw something on the Nichols website about servicing their brand. I have seen roll caps at Wallyworld and some of the farm stores. I still have some of my old cap pistols. Probably should put 'em on Ebay.

certified 'soap welder'
Old June 8, 2016, 08:20 PM   #29
foolzrushn

Just for grins....

here are a couple of my cap pistols from long ago. Too small for a 5yr old though. You can tell that these saw lots of caps from the grunge. They used the single round caps like the Nichols Dyna-Mite. The hole went all the way through the barrel. The Colt has a revolving cylinder, but the other one is just cast to look like a cylinder. And yeah, the holster is pretty sad, but I didn't know how to sew leather....and hey, I was a kid!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg caps closed.jpg (110.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg caps open.jpg (117.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg caps chambers.jpg (99.0 KB, 136 views)

certified 'soap welder'
Old June 10, 2016, 01:26 PM   #30
Rachen

In most places, anything would be called a weapon by law enforcement if the object was used in the assault for the sole purpose of causing injury or death.

Just recently in NYC, a bar patron who beat another with the leg ripped from a bar stool was also charged with "criminal possession of a weapon" as well as the assault charge. No one would consider that stool leg a weapon until it was used as one, thus that additional charge.

So even if in places one can carry a cap and ball revolver openly, as soon as that cap and ball is used to intimidate or injure, the firearm charge will apply. And if it is a justified defensive shooting, it would be recorded in the files as a "shooting", just as would be if a modern firearm is used.