The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 2, 2014, 08:41 PM   #1
idek

recommended scope for .22lr.

Over the years, I bought a few different scopes for use on my .22s. They were all of the budget variety buschnell, simmons, tasco. I don't have major complaints about them. They do okay for my purposes, which are plinking and some small game hunting. But I'd like to try something of higher quality.

The following are certain criteria that matter to me.

- not too long or bulky. I like to mount scopes low and I don't want a lot of extra weight. Objective around 32mm or less preferably.
- magnification of 2-7x would be my top preference. I see a lot of 3-9x, but I like the wider FOV at 2x.
- I'm not really interested in adjustable objectives or bullet drop turrets or other knobs that stick out of a scope.
- a standard duplex reticle would be preferred.

Basically, I'm looking for a smallish, straight-forward scope with nice glass, accurate adjustments, good reliability, and the ability to hold zero well.

Browsing online, one option that might match all the criteria was the Leupold VX-1 2-7x28mm.

Another that looks decent is the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 Rimfire Riflescope, although it might be pushing my preferred size limit a bit.

Can anyone comment on either of these scopes or recommend others that I should consider?

*also, would a quality rimfire rifle be okay on a .357 carbine? I figure bullet velocities and trajectories are in the same ballpark, and the 50-yard parallax would be about right. Not sure if the slight recoil increase would be bad for rimfire scopes though.
Old April 2, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2
EchoM70

Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm

http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x35-Fullfi...ope-P5972.aspx
Old April 2, 2014, 10:43 PM   #3
Scorch

Whatever you get, buy a good scope. Nikon used to make a 1.5-5X28 scope, I had one on a 77/22 and it was pretty nice. I don't see it in their current lineup, maybe some other scope maker offers a scope in that power range. Otherwise, 2-7 is pretty nice, I have 2 Leupolds and a Weaver in that power range.
Old April 2, 2014, 11:15 PM   #4
idek

Thanks for the suggestions. Scorch, I was looking at some 2-7x28 Weavers. How does your Weaver compare to the more expensive Leupold?

EchoM70, I looked up the Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm, and it looks good, but it appears to be designed as a centerfire rifle, meaning 100 or 150 yard parallax maybe(?)

Since I probably shoot more in the 20-50 yard range, I'd prefer shorter parallax settings if possible.

Last edited by idek; April 2, 2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old April 2, 2014, 11:33 PM   #5
SerenityNetworks

For plinking and small game hunting I personally don't see the need for a Diamondback or a Leupold. For the size you are consideringyou might consider the Crossfire II 2-7 x32 ( http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...ssfireii2-7x32) I have better Vortex scopes on bigger rifles and love them, but for my .22s I've also been more than pleased with the Crossfire II that I mentioned.
Old April 3, 2014, 12:04 AM   #6
EchoM70

Quote:
EchoM70, I looked up the Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm, and it looks good, but it appears to be designed as a centerfire rifle, meaning 100 or 150 yard parallax maybe(?)
It's a 100 yard parallax. The distance isn't great enough for you to develop any noticeable parallax issues. It's the same as saying you can't use a 100 yard parallax scope at 150 yards or 180 yards because of parallax issues. It's generally when the distance starts getting greater than 100 yards than the setting that you start having issues. Like shooting 200+ yards with a set parallax of 100 yards for example.

But if you feel an absolute need for the 50 yard parallax scope, don't rule out shotgun scopes. Generally set at 50 yards and will withstand recoil from your .357 carbine as well.

Here's the Burris Droptine 2-7x35mm... It's the FF2 set up with a 50yd parallax made with the .22lr in mind.

When it comes to sub $300 scopes, I always have to recommend Burris. They make the absolute best scope in that price range. In my opinion of course. $300+ I start looking at Vortex, Zeiss, or Luepold... Just to give you an idea of my preferences and what generally works in my experience.

Last edited by EchoM70; April 3, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old April 3, 2014, 12:21 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

The Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm would fit your needs nicely. It's somewhat of a cross-breed between the Leupold Rifleman and the VX-1. It's Leupold quality and carries an equivalent warranty, but is half the price. I have one on a .444 Marlin Handi-Rifle. It takes a serious beating from my heavy loads, but the scope is holding up great.

And... Leupold will reset the parallax to any distance within the scope's range, on any of their pre-set parallax scopes, including Redfields, if you ship it to them. (Last time I checked, anyway. It might be worth a call to "Redfield" customer service, to double check.)

I'm up to 4 or 5 of the Leupold Redfields, and I'm happy with all of the Revolutions. I recently picked up one of the scopes from their Revenge line. I'm still not sure about that one. It was built in the Philippines, and the quality and clarity just aren't as good as the Revolution line. It's working so far, but time will tell the whole story.

I like older Weaver scopes, but the current warranty situation keeps me from buying one.

For me, it's Leupold for good quality (but not a wallet buster), Redfield for mid-range quality, and if those don't fit the bill... Tasco. If still none of those fit the bill, I check local shops for used scopes, and see what kind of deal I can find.
Old April 3, 2014, 12:24 AM   #8
idek

Regarding the shotgun scope suggestion, I actually have a Simmons 1.5-5x32 shotgun scope that I bought several years ago for use on a .22, because I liked the lower magnification range. It's about the same size as basic .22 scopes and has a 50-yard parallax.
Old April 3, 2014, 01:12 AM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
Scorch, I was looking at some 2-7x28 Weavers. How does your Weaver compare to the more expensive Leupold?
No comparison, really. The Weaver is good, but the Leupold is brighter and looks better.
Old April 3, 2014, 05:34 AM   #10
geetarman

Try a Nikon P22. It is a 2-7 that is parallax set for 50 yards. One inch tube and about a 32mm bell.

I have one on a Ruger 77-22 and another on a CZ 452 Trainer. I think the scope is about $165 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Carpe Cerveza

Last edited by geetarman; April 3, 2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:55 PM   #11
redrick

I just bought a Leupold rimfire 2-7x28 scope . The glass is very clear and a perfect fit for my old Marlin 60 and squirrel hunting .

I also have a Weaver 3-9x32 ao rimfire scope on my Ruger 10/22 . The glass is not quite as bright as the Leupold , but still a very nice scope .

I would have a hard time picking one over the other .
Old April 6, 2014, 09:12 AM   #12
skoro

recommended scope for .22lr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idek
Browsing online, one option that might match all the criteria was the Leupold VX-1 2-7x28mm.
That's a very nice scope. I have one mounted on my Henry lever action and I like it a lot. Expensive, though. I have a similar Weaver 2-7x28 on my Savage MkII bolt action that's quite a bit less costly, but not quite as good optically. But very good glass for the money.

If I weren't on a strict budget, I'd definitely go for the Leupold. But the Weaver wouldn't disappoint.
Old April 14, 2014, 07:29 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
- not too long or bulky. I like to mount scopes low and I don't want a lot of extra weight.
Me too-especially when putting a scope on a .22 sporter rifle. I don't think you'd go wrong with a Nikon "Prostaff" 4x, rimfire version, with a 50 yard parallax.
Old April 15, 2014, 09:15 AM   #14
DealHunter

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/275...-reticle-matte

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/N...arget-EFR.html

I have have a CZ455 and a Sako Quad I use with more than 1 caliber. So far I've been using one of the Nikon Shotgun Scopes but this is what I've settled on now due to the adjustable parallax (.22lr shots at 50 yards, 17hmr shots at 150 yards) and the Zero-Reset.

Perhaps that might fit the bill for you?
Old April 16, 2014, 06:54 AM   #15
rugerdawg

I have to agree with the Vortex Crossfire 2x7, great little scope for the price.
I'd put up against the leupold vx1 anytime.
Old April 20, 2014, 04:34 PM   #16
joshobrien77

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarman View Post
Try a Nikon P22. It is a 2-7 that is parallax set for 50 yards. One inch tube and about a 32mm bell.

I have one on a Ruger 77-22 and another on a CZ 452 Trainer. I think the scope is about $165 at Sportsman's Warehouse.
Plus one on this. I have it on my 17th and it's a great scope.
Old April 20, 2014, 11:52 PM   #17
Hunter0924

I agree that buy quality glass when you can afford it.
I am a big fan of Leupold but there are less expensive scopes that are also will do the job.
I hate to even bring this up but a friend of mine has a few of the BSA scopes and they seem to work well.
They are very inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty but would not be my first choice.
Old April 21, 2014, 06:40 AM   #18
Mobuck

I'm very satisfied with the Sightron 2.5x32 rimfire scopes I have mounted on a pair of 10-22 Rugers. Compact size, clear, bright, adjust properly, and hold zero--all the things I require from a 22 scope.
Old April 21, 2014, 05:50 PM   #19
Unlicensed Dremel

You forgot the most important consideration: What's your budget and new only, or used too?

On the 2nd question, yes, I think a "rimfire" marketed scope of any decent quality will be fine and in fact nearly perfect on a .357 mag rifle - still not much recoil there.
Old April 21, 2014, 06:23 PM   #20
Colt46

Ultra high quality scopes aren't as important on the rimfires

Most .22 lr will be inside 100 yards. I think you can easily get a cheaper scope and not suffer any performance related issues that you might at longer distances and centerfires.
Old April 22, 2014, 06:29 AM   #21
rebs

After reading many reviews I recently bought a Center Point scope at Walmart. It is a 4-16 x 40 with adjustable objective lens. I am very impressed with this scopes clarity and brightness. So far it is holding zero really well even after adjusting to longer range and then back to original zero. For 69.95 it seems to be a great scope, time will tell. It also comes with life time warranty.
My other scopes are Nikon and Leupold, this CP is not the same quality obviously but for the price it is a deal so far.
Old April 25, 2014, 03:30 PM   #22
bn12gg

I own Zeiss, Leupold, Simmons, Weaver, Bushnell on various rifles. If you wish to kick it up over the Simmons and Bushell, I would suggest studying up on the Leupold scopes. You need to study up on power to meet your needs -- Leupold is a fine scope for the money.

David
Old August 15, 2014, 01:24 AM   #23
idek

I'm getting back to some old topics I started (in this case, really old) to give updates on questions I'd asked.

I ended up getting a Burris Droptine 2-7x35. Using a promotion code, I got the scope from MidwayUSA for $130. I've been very happy with it. The magnification range suits my uses very well and I'm pleased with the optical quality. It seems to be a good size and looks appropriate on my 10/22.

I suspect I could have been happy with several other scopes as well, but this one seems to meet all my criteria at a reasonable price. Thanks once again for all the suggestions.
Old August 17, 2014, 09:40 AM   #24
coldbeer

You guys suggesting $300 scopes for a $200 gun are killing me. Chances are a $100 and under scope will do the job.
Old August 17, 2014, 11:14 PM   #25
emcon5

Quote:
You guys suggesting $300 scopes for a $200 gun are killing me. Chances are a $100 and under scope will do the job.
Surprised nobody has recommended a Nightforce or Zeiss yet....