The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 20, 2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Merad

CMP Garand arrived today (pics + questions)!

I ordered a CMP Special SA Garand back at the beginning of September, along with some ammo, clips etc. Got the ammo and accessories in the middle of October, but no word on the rifle. After hearing from several people who'd ordered Specials and got them fairly quickly, I contacted the CMP on Monday and was told that the SA's were backordered for the the foreseeable future, but that HRA Specials were in stock and ready to ship, so I had them switch my order and got an early Christmas present today.

Beautiful!

CMP Special = new barrel = 0 throat and muzzle erosion

HRA 5579xxx serial #, 1954 manufacture from what I can find

So now the questions:
Does anyone have any guides or videos on the correct way to do long range Garand shooting with a sling?

What should I do with the stock? Raw linseed oil, tru-oil, or? Linseed oil is the authentic WW2 look AFAIK, but I have heard that tru-oil gives a tougher finish that's weather proof. Any opinions? Also do I need to strip the stock or anything before applying the new finish? It looks pretty bare as is.

Lastly the clips I have (from the CMP) really don't want to let go of the first round when they're full. The pic below is after locking the clip in, pulling the op rod handle all the way back, and letting go. To get the first round in the chamber requires either pulling back the op rod handle 2-3 time or manually pushing it into battery. Is this the norm for Garands or what?

Anyway, I put two clips through it this afternoon. Can't say much about accuracy yet since my back yard shooting area is only 25 yards, but she sure is a delight to shoot. Gotta admit I giggled like a school girl every time I heard that *PING*. Look forward to taking her out to a real range!

Old December 20, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2
tahunua001

very nice... mines just a service grade but it is still a decent shooter.

as for questions, I just use linseed oil. I use it for all my milsurps and it works fine. as for the clips something didn't look right with the one I got from CMP. I have a couple dozen USGI ones that all work great, never have used the CMP one.
Old December 20, 2013, 06:52 PM   #3
MJN77

When I bought my first M1 years ago, it came with a copy of The M1 GARAND owner's guide by Scott A. Duff. In the book, it says that sometimes you may need to "slap" the op-rod forward to chamber the first round from a new clip. It's completely normal. Also if you watch a lot of WWII or Korean war footage, you will see GIs do it too. I have a few hundred en bloc clips and all of them are military surplus. Some you need to slap, some you don't. Just depends on how tight they hold the ammo. Also, linseed oil is what M1 stocks were originally finished with.
Old December 20, 2013, 10:55 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is very common, especially with new clips, to have to "bump" the op rod handle to chamber the first round. Some users have the habit of automatically hitting the op rod even when it is not necessary.

Jim
Old December 20, 2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Hardcase

I'm echoing what others have said, but maybe it's more convincing ;-) Give the op rod a rap to chamber that first round - it's normal.

I also use linseed oil, but I don't know if the linseed oil today is the same as what they had back then.
Old December 21, 2013, 08:38 PM   #6
rdmallory

Quote:
Does anyone have any guides or videos on the correct way to do long range Garand shooting with a sling
See if you can find an Appleseed shoot in your area. They usually start with 22LR due to the volume you will shoot. They teach proper sling usage a long with natural point of aim, proper sight usage etc. After the first 2 day class you can bring your M1 to a know distance shoot. They will have you popping balloons at 300 yards. Which is about my limit. It is hard for me to see a 12 inch balloon past 300 yards.

No scopes, no sand bags, no tripods. Just a sling and proper shooting position.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Doug
Old December 21, 2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Tad_T

Nice rifle!

Having to tap the operating handle is normal. I have to on both of mine.

I second the suggestion on going to an Applessed shoot. It is well worth your time.
Old December 21, 2013, 10:44 PM   #8
chris in va

Appleseed is fine, just don't bring your Garand unless you reload or don't mind paying for 400 rounds of Garand specific ammo. And yes, I attended one.
Old December 22, 2013, 09:22 AM   #9
rdmallory

AppleSeed has a know distance shoot which is different than their regular shoot where you are learning the basics. Most of the regular (first shoot) is at 25 yards. After you complete that course and get the basics you can attend a know distance. A lot less shooting more of a proof of concept.

http://appleseedinfo.org/kd-appleseed.html

Have fun.

Doug
Old December 22, 2013, 07:07 PM   #10
4EVERM-14

Congrads. Nice rifle.
As others have said having to bumping the op-rod to chamber the first round is normal. However, DO NOT GRAB THE OP-ROD. With the back of the hand deliver a glancing blow to the tab to drive the op-rod forward.
Enjoy your piece of history.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old December 22, 2013, 10:29 PM   #11
stu925

Those special grade rifles sure are good looking rifles. If I come up with the cash to buy another Garand it will most likely be a special grade.

Stu
Old December 23, 2013, 06:21 AM   #12
Orlando

Every in spec rifle needs the op rod assisted to close.
Use BLO unless you like a shiney finish then use Tru Oil
Old December 23, 2013, 05:43 PM   #13
P5 Guy

Grease all the sliding parts.
Old December 23, 2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Ifishsum

Tru-Oil will give you a shiny finish, not personally the look I like on these guns. Regular BLO will dry to a weatherproof finish, it just takes longer to dry completely. I think the look is well worth the wait myself.
Old December 24, 2013, 07:30 AM   #15
gdvan01

Nice looking Garand!

I have to bump mine into battery every now and then.

Take a look at Tom's 1/3 Mix*, I have used it on my Garand and an SKS my Dad brought back from Viet Nam:

http://www.thegunstockdoctor.com/

*use it in a well ventilated area

If you want to shoot commercially available ammo, take a look at the ported gas plug from GarandGear. It's not legal for matches though...

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/d...-plug?sef=hcfp

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old December 24, 2013, 04:42 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
What should I do with the stock? Raw linseed oil, tru-oil, or? Linseed oil is the authentic WW2 look AFAIK, but I have heard that tru-oil gives a tougher finish that's weather proof. Any opinions? Also do I need to strip the stock or anything before applying the new finish? It looks pretty bare as is.
I strongly recommend Pure Tung Oil (PTO). It's an authentic USGI finish that is more moisture-resistant than linseed oil. Be sure to get quality stuff like that sold by Real Milk Paint Company http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oil.html rather than the stuff sold at Lowes (which has a bunch of other laquers mixed in).

You will not need to strip the new CMP stock. Just lightly wipe it down with some mineral spirits to clean it before applying 5-6 coats of PTO.

Last edited by Fishbed77; December 24, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old December 24, 2013, 07:39 PM   #17
Merad

How long does Tung oil take to apply compared to BLO? I really, really want to do one of the authentic finishes, but I am just not going to have the time or space to keep an "ongoing project" for the next 6 months. I need to go with an option that can be finished within a couple weeks, at least.
Old December 24, 2013, 07:51 PM   #18
tahunua001

um?
BLO is usually dry enough to handle after 24 hours, just how many coats are you thinking of applying?
Old December 24, 2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Merad

Everything I was reading the other night claimed BLO should be done daily for a week, then weekly for a month, and then monthly for a year.
Old December 25, 2013, 08:01 AM   #20
Orlando

That is a internet Myth
I have never used more than 5-6 coats , coats applied 24 hrs aparts
Old December 25, 2013, 09:20 AM   #21
MJN77

Everything I have ever read about linseed oil said 6-10 coats (your preference) 24-48 hours apart. I think I read about a fellow that used 12 coats on a flintlock rifle he built, but that was just him.
Old December 25, 2013, 10:50 AM   #22
9mmfan

Very nice! Enjoy.

I'm really enjoying all these CMP M1 threads lately.
Old December 25, 2013, 12:51 PM   #23
Merad

Awesome, well, I just ordered a tung oil kit and some "gunny paste" from GarandGear. We'll see how that turns out.
Old December 25, 2013, 01:54 PM   #24
Timcat

Here's a video about using the sling. Also notice that he slaps the op rod on his rifle after loading an enbloc. I do that with my .308 CMP Special every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRPfj-6bRZM
Old December 26, 2013, 12:44 AM   #25
Fishbed77

Quote:
How long does Tung oil take to apply compared to BLO?
About the same amount of time. Give each coat a day or two to dry before applying the next.