The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 26, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1
meatgrinder42

Unlawful concealment?

I was reading about open carry in Wisconsin (since our concealed carry doesn't go through until next month) and in all the laws I saw 'unlawful concealment' and it said 'A firearm encased in a vehicle but within reach of your person (wingspan) plus lunge distance is considered unlawful concealment'.

My question, I have an extended cab pick-up. I can reach anywhere in the back pretty easily. So does that mean technically I cannot have my pistol in the extended cab while driving to say the range or hunting? Because it would be within arms reach plus lunge distance at all times? Anyone know? It just sounds ridiculous.
Old October 26, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2
rdmallory

I would think if it was in a locked/closed case it would be exempt.

Move to Kentucky you can keep it loaded in your console without a permit.

Doug
Old October 26, 2011, 01:46 PM   #3
hermannr

you won't have to worry about that next month, but yes, that is the idea as of today. just case it and don't worry,
Old October 26, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4
HoraceHogsnort

rdmallory wrote: "I would think if it was in a locked/closed case it would be exempt. Move to Kentucky you can keep it loaded in your console without a permit."

Yes, Kentucky has much more lenient gun laws. An additional advantage to moving there is that you can sleep with the immediate members of your family!!
Old October 26, 2011, 09:47 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Whenever I drive thru Kentucky (usually the southwest part near Paducah), I take my shoes off at the state line. It just seems right

To the original question, if the case is locked, the firearm is not in reach. But I am not a lawyer. Put a padlock on it, and put it behind the seat or in the bed.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Stressfire

Quote:
arms reach plus lunge distance
Huh, go figure. Haven't heard the "lunge distance" portion before.

Usually, requirements are (without permit) unloaded and encased in a container with a clasp, lock, zipper, or some other fastening device.

Edit: did you try http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf? From my reading of the laws cited & the notes:

Quote:
Note: You can carry an unconcealed handgun in a vehicle in Wisconsin but if you come within 1000 foot of a school like described above you can be charged. You can transport within 1000 foot of a school without a permit/license to carry under Federal Code 18 USC 922 if the handgun is unloaded and secured.

Last edited by Stressfire; October 27, 2011 at 08:26 AM.