The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 17, 2011, 11:35 AM   #1
denster

Great deal on a double.

Just got in a 20Ga L.C. Smith Double. This is the one Marlin had made out of country. CDNN had the listed for $999 but when I called they were on sale for $899.
This is one really nice shotgun. Yes I know it is not a real Elsie but it is nice.
The blue and case colors are perfect. The wood is at least AAA fancy and the checkering is excellent. I can't find any flaws in the inletting. It has selective ejectors, which I like and a non selective single trigger which I can live with.
These were supposed to retail for around $1700 and probably worth that but at $900 it is a steal.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:22 PM   #2
jaughtman

Our GS here....

had them for around 799 on clearance last year and I kick myself for not getting one - they had the O/U's for 699! Who did Marlin have make them?

J
Old May 17, 2011, 07:41 PM   #3
oneounceload

Quote:
Marlin Firearms Company retains the rights to the name "L.C. Smith" and in 2005 introduced 12 and 20 gauge guns made in Italy by Fausti Stefano under the name L.C. Smith. In 2007, they offered a 28 gauge and a .410's made in Spain by Zabala. Both the over-unders and side-by-sides are box locks, and are in no way mechanically related to the guns designed by W.H. Baker and Alexander Brown, and sold by L.C. Smith Maker, Syracuse New York (1883-1892 but purchased by John Hunter in 1888), Hunter Arms Co., Fulton New York (1892-1945), L.C. Smith Gun Co., Inc. owned by Marlin (1945-1950), nor the Marlin L.C. Smith (1968-1972).
From the LC Smith Collectors Association
Old May 17, 2011, 09:37 PM   #4
denster

oneounceload.

Just a hearty high ho who cares. It is an exceptionally well constructed side by side, balances well and is great looking. I don't care to quibble over the L.C. Smith logo. I know it's a Fausti. It's still a bargain for $900 bucks. Of course it would have been more of a bargain for $800 but Oh Well.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:25 AM   #5
oneounceload

I was merely stating to the other poster where they were made - there was nothing in my post regarding comments of build quality - get over it

Sounds like you got a nice gun and now that Fausti has an operation over here, you should be able to get parts and servicing when it needs it

Have a nice day