The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2009, 08:02 AM   #1
DRice.72

For those of you who live in Eastern NC

What is the hunting like there? Hogs, bear, deer? My GF wants to move to the Outer Banks. I have fished there for years, but never hunted along the coast. If its good, I may actually consider moving there.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Doyle

I don't know about now, but the marsh areas in the outer banks used to be prime waterfowl hunting. Back in the mid 80's, I bought a labradore puppy from a guy in Bell's Island that was a professional duck and goose guide. He was the world champion goose caller 3 years running.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~obgc/index.html

We live a lot further south in NC, but have visited the OBGC for a couple of NCRPA meetings. Nice place to be close to...

As to hunting, the question is always more 'where' than anything else. There are public land options ( http://www.fws.gov/northcarolina/hunt.html ) as well as private land by permission. You could do worse...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:32 AM   #4
DRice.72

What about the animal populations, and general size compared to WNC?
Old December 10, 2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Countertop

The deer are plentiful but small. Though there are lots of private land enrolled in quality deer management program. I've shot some nice deer on private reserves.

There are some wild hogs, actualy growing numbers of them coming up from South Carolina. They aren't as big as the ones in Western Carolina on game preserves, but there is open season on them as the pig industry in the state seeks to have them eradicated (they spread disease and cause real crop damage).

The black bears in Eastern NC are the biggest in the entire country. But for a last minute family emergency, I would be in Eastern Carolina right now hunting for bear. It is clearly the best black bear hunting in the entire country. 400 pound bears that are trophies elsewhere are passed on. The bruins aren't considered large till they get to 500+ pounds.

They are hunted mainly with dogs. i can point you to guides if you need them.

Great waterfowling too.
Old December 10, 2009, 04:00 PM   #6
dopar66

hunting ENC

Whitetail are more plentiful here than you are used to, and to echo pretty much everyone else, as a rule smaller. 200+ pound deer are monsters, and a few are killed each year. Most are not near that size, more in the 150 pound range. Heck with waiting for a 200 pounder, give me two 150 pounders any day.

Hyde county, best I recall, has a thick population of bears. It's near enough to any OB county that if you can get permission, you can get there. (Google "record black bear Vanceboro" for a grin.) Check the game laws, there are several counties in this area that are bear sanctuaries.

I've been looking into hog hunting myself, living just south of the Roanoke river basin. Don't have much concrete info to offer you other than a massive hog was killed in Nash county a year or two ago. About 1-1/2 hours inland from the OBX if you drive like me.
Old December 10, 2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Countertop

I hunt hogs in the swamps in and around Goldsboro, but they are also throught the Neuse River valley (can you call it a valley?? maybe its better to call it a drainage).
Old December 10, 2009, 06:36 PM   #8
simonkenton

I hope to God the hunting in eastern NC is good.
The hunting here in western NC, in the mountains, is pathetic. Few deer.
Old December 10, 2009, 07:18 PM   #9
treefarmernc

I was on a 40,000 acre fire down around Hyde county in the summer of 2008 and we saw more bear than deer. The down side is that I saw about as many rattle snakes as I did bear also.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRice.72
My GF wants to move to the Outer Banks.
Does she have a sister in the 36 year old age range + or - 5 years?

I'm from WNC myself, and used to vacation on the Outer Banks every year. You're a lucky dog, DRice. I'd move to the Outer Banks in a heartbeat.