The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
fireroad

Pistol primer question

New to loading pistol, will be starting with 40 S&W, I plan on loading Montana Gold 155 JHPs over Titegroup. The recipes I have (out of a manual) calls for Win small pistol primers. All I can get my hands on for now is Rem small pistol primers. I know from experience with rifle that primer brand makes a difference in load performance...is the same true for pistol ie can I use the Rem primers? Brass will be from my collection of once fired mixed headstamp. Loads will be light practice/plinking.
Old April 16, 2009, 05:23 PM   #2
James R. Burke

You should be o.k. if it is the same size, and type needed. Just start at the min and work up. I use CCI for everything. If it calls for the reg thats what I use if it calls for a mag thats what I use, and always start at the begining and work up. Just dont substitude a reg for a mag.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:06 PM   #3
fireroad

Turns out all they had was remington 5 1/2 primers.They are a magnum, but supposedly remington does not make the pellet fire any hotter, they just have a thicker cup. I looked on their website and noticed most of their UMC ammo for .40 is loaded with the 5 1/2's.
Old April 16, 2009, 09:35 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Small Pistol primers are all the same dimension. Any brand of primer will do nicely. However, if you buy another brand after working up the load, you'll have to work up the load again.
A Remington #5 1/2 is a regular small pistol primer. They don't list a magnum small pistol primer.