The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 6, 2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Pgidley

Marlin 925 FTF

I've had a marlin 925 22LR for a few years now. The rifle has always had fail to fire issues, usually 1 or 2 rounds clip. I've tried higher quality ammo and everything seems to be the same, so I really need to do something about it. Im in Canada, so sending the rifle back to Marlin would be difficult and not really worth it. Is there anything I can do myself, or should I take it to a smith?

Thanks
Old April 6, 2008, 08:22 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Can you return it through your dealer and distributor? The distributor should have all the necessary licenses.

Failure to fire can have several causes (other than ammo and failure to clean), but the usual ones are a weak firing pin spring; a short, broken or mis-shaped firing pin; or bad headspace. The firing pin should be easy to check and excess headspace will show up in a bulged case head. If those look OK, you might try obtaining a new spring. If you have problems getting one, try contacting Marlin; they should be able to send that to you with no problem.

Marstar also might be able to help.

Jim
Old April 6, 2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Pgidley

Can you return it through your dealer and distributor? The distributor should have all the necessary licenses.

Failure to fire can have several causes (other than ammo and failure to clean), but the usual ones are a weak firing pin spring; a short, broken or mis-shaped firing pin; or bad headspace. The firing pin should be easy to check and excess headspace will show up in a bulged case head. If those look OK, you might try obtaining a new spring. If you have problems getting one, try contacting Marlin; they should be able to send that to you with no problem.

Marstar also might be able to help.

Jim

Unfortunatly the dealer I bought it from went out of business shortly after I bought it. (!) The main shop I go to now might be willing to send it back, now that I think of it... I pulled the firing pin apart today and took out the small spring that pulls the firing pin back when cocked. What would a bulged case head look like? I do notice that the marks left by this rifle are not as deep or as big as either my 1960 39A or my 50's model Winchester 72A which both have thick pin marks.

Thanks