The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 28, 2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Itchy Llama

Help me understand.

I need some validation here. (No one has ever accused me of being a genius.) I have to ask this question to help me understand.
What is the difference between say a Remington Model 750 and an AR-15? As far as functionality goes I see no real difference. Am I correct in saying that the difference is only the way they look? Wood grain stock as opposed to a black composite stock?
Is the issue the functionality of the gun or more the way it looks? Can you not fire a semi-auto ‘hunting’ rifle as fast or as accurate as AR type rifle?
(Magazine size is another topic.)
Old December 28, 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
bumnote

Quote:
Am I correct in saying that the difference is only the way they look?
Pretty much.

Quote:
Can you not fire a semi-auto ‘hunting’ rifle as fast or as accurate as AR type rifle?
Not according to the talking heads and experts on the news.

Also, most AR's also fire the "high powered" 223 round apposed to the "hunting" rounds of 30-06, .308 or .270.

At least in the media and to the uninformed...to me it seems it's all based on looks.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3
BGutzman

ARs have deadly sinister looking plastic and places to hang stuff off of.. Also under this proposed legislation I could see at least some traditional sporting rifles getting caught in the mix.

The general media is building a frenzy in support of gun control.. just this morning to my incredulous eyes I read an article proclaiming that 50% of all kids killed with firearms go unreported as firearms deaths as they supposedly get confused for other types of injuries...

Really? I don't believe it for one microsecond, but it makes great press... Completely nonfactual, manufactured news but that's the world we live in.

Oh wait most traditional hunting rifles are powerhouse compared to the rather anemic 5.56mm.. Don't get me wrong all are deadly in competent hands but 5.56 is not the equal of your 30.06.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
bumnote

Quote:
50% of all kids killed with firearms go unreported as firearms deaths as they supposedly get confused for other types of injuries...

I keep replaying the scene from "Jaws" in my mind. Love to me the M.E. who'd make that mistake... "Looks like a lawn darts accident to me."
Well I guess if the story's that good, don't let the facts get in the way.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:37 AM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
just this morning to my incredulous eyes I read an article proclaiming that 50% of all kids killed with firearms go unreported as firearms deaths as they supposedly get confused for other types of injuries...
That's "No Shrug" material, there! Got a link?
Old December 28, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Yep, let's have link. Death children usually are thoroughly investigated.

Take an injured child to the ER and you get questioned.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Stressfire

Quote:
Help me understand.
What's to understand? They look scarier. That's it.

Quote:
Wood grain stock as opposed to a black composite stock?
Hmmm, though you just gave me a good idea for a winter woodworking project. I think an AR would look pretty classy with some wood

Quote:
Death children usually are thoroughly investigated.
Glenn, you don't want to know what happened when I googled "Death Children." Some things just can't be unseen
Old December 28, 2012, 10:58 AM   #8
BarryLee

Here's a link to a similiar story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/28...tes-advocates/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 28, 2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

That article said abuse is under-reported not firearms death.

I still would like a specific link for that claim. I don't believe it.

I can't type in the morning. I meant dead children, sigh.

I don't know about all jurisdictions but where I live a dead child is thoroughly investigated.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:55 PM   #10
hermannr

Lord, really think before you take a kid to the emergency room for a wound of any type. About 30 years ago we took our youngest daughter to our Doctor because she was swelling up all over (bee sting).

He gave her a shot, and told us:

1: Keep benedryl handy anywhere this child will be...if you had waited longer she would not have survived....the benedryl will slow the reaction.

2: also, Keep her out of the public sight. Tomorrow she will look like she was beaten from head to toe and you will probably be arrested for child abuse.

Yep, she was black and blue all over her body, and then green and yellow for a week...from a bee sting.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

My kid, about age 12, planted her knees in gravel playing something. So she comes home and I said, Daddy will take care. However, I looked that the wounds - they were deep and tiny gravel was embedded all over. I couldn't clean it thoroughly - so I took her to the ER where they gave her local and used some kind of sterile scouring pad (made for wounds). She was bandaged for a few days and couldn't bend her knees.

I was to wait outside - and guess what - the docs and the law on the premises asked her if it was an accidnet or what.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:12 PM   #12
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Seyer
I was to wait outside - and guess what - the docs and the law on the premises asked her if it was an accidnet or what.
It is wonderful that our society has no institutional tolerance for child abuse. However, somewhere along the line, perspective and proportionality appear to have taken a hit.

I do almost no criminal work. The last criminal matter in which I was involved was in defense of a county jail guard who had spanked a stepchild for hiding food in her closet (a behavior which on prior occasions had caused a vermin problem). The child's biological father saw an opportunity to cause a problem in his ex-wife's new marriage and took the child to an emergency room.

The response of social workers and city prosecutors was to charge child abuse and press the matter to trial. (Any incarceration would have been amongst the population this guard supervises). I do not know whether the prosecutor actually believed that any abuse had occurred, but this seemed a chilling misuse of prosecutorial power.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
What is the difference between say a Remington Model 750 and an AR-15? As far as functionality goes I see no real difference. Am I correct in saying that the difference is only the way they look? Wood grain stock as opposed to a black composite stock?
The AR is superior. It is designed to shoot a larger number of rounds in a shorter period of time without overheating. It is also arguably more rugged and reliable as well as likely being better built depending upon the maker. Accuracy is a wash all else equal but I would give the nod to the AR.

One is a Ford Focus, the other is a Ford Taurus.

Could you build a better 750 that is designed to a larger number of rounds in a shorter period of time without overheating as quickly? Indeed you could.

Could you then change the furniture on it to make it appear more like an AR? Indeed you can.

Could you make a larger capacity magazine for it? Change the caliber? Make it more accurate? Yes, yes and yes.

This is why the smart (forgive the oxymoron) gun control people know in their hearts that they must ban all guns.
Old December 28, 2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line, Itchy Llama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Llama
. . . .What is the difference between say a Remington Model 750 and an AR-15? As far as functionality goes I see no real difference. Am I correct in saying that the difference is only the way they look? Wood grain stock as opposed to a black composite stock?
Is the issue the functionality of the gun or more the way it looks? Can you not fire a semi-auto ‘hunting’ rifle as fast or as accurate as AR type rifle?
(Magazine size is another topic.)
Well, you see, in order to fully . . . ummm, wait. It doesn't actually sound like you need an explanation. You already get it.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:12 PM   #15
BGutzman

Sorry, I think Barry already posted this for me..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/28...tes-advocates/

This is the article claiming that children being killed by firearms may be underreported by up to 50%. I'm sorry I'm correcting myself.. its just violence not gun violence... My apologies.. It still feeds the frenzy!

Last edited by BGutzman; December 28, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:29 PM   #16
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Llama
...What is the difference between say a Remington Model 750 and an AR-15? As far as functionality goes I see no real difference. Am I correct in saying that the difference is only the way they look?...
Well, to some people looks matter. On the other hand, I hope you're not suggesting that our opposition should be considering banning all semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old December 28, 2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Warrior1256

Keep in mind that the anti-gunner's opinion of what constitutes the definition of an "Assault Weapon" is simple, it's what ever type of firearm that they want to ban.