The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 7, 2009, 01:27 PM   #26
NWPilgrim

Considering the hunter had no idea that what he was looking at was anything other than a deer ...

He must have thought "Holy moly! That is one humongous deer! This will top the record by 200 pounds!"

His excitement at the prospect would be priceless. He will have a campfire story for a lifetime. The Day I Shot A Monster in Ohio.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old December 7, 2009, 01:48 PM   #27
mtnbkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburch
Yeah, we've got some back in Virginia again since Kentucky release them.

Our state has them listed as game, but you have to report it special if you bag one.

Not 100% sure on the laws since I don't have the book with me, but basically the season is the same as whitetail, and the rules of the hunt are the same as well.

It also counts as a Whitetail and uses one of your tags (Either Antlered or Non-Antlered depending on the status or your elk)
The law says you treat them like deer, including bag limits, tags, sex, etc. That started a year or two ago IIRC.

We had a similar situation a few years ago in SW Va, guy shot an elk thinking it was a deer and was surprised when he got to it and found out it wasn't a deer. Same result as well. The Wardens let him keep the meat and there were no charges since, at that time, nobody knew there were elk in Va.

Chris
Old December 7, 2009, 01:56 PM   #28
NWPilgrim

You guys in VA and KY, are these newly appearing elk planted by the game department, escaped/let loose by priveate owners, or actually occurring naturally? That is really something to find elk that far east. Maybe we'll start seeing alligators in Oregon!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old December 7, 2009, 02:03 PM   #29
mtnbkr

I think the ones in KY are released by the game and wildlife folks there. The ones in Va have migrated from Ky.

At least that's what I've read...

Chris
Old December 7, 2009, 02:11 PM   #30
Countertop

The Elk were planted in Kentucky to re-establish the herd in that state. There is no established herd in Virginia, so as MtnBiker said - they are treated as simply deer.

They put up a new page on Elk this last August - which was the first time they actually addressed it.

Quote:
* Elk of either sex, antlered or antlerless, may be taken during any open deer season using the weapons legal for deer during that season.
* The taking of an elk counts towards the hunter's daily and license year bag limit for deer.
* Licenses, tag validation, and checking requirements for elk are the same for deer except that elk must be checked at a check station.
* It is unlawful to destroy the identity (sex) of any harvested elk until checked. Elk may be dismembered to pack it out from the place of kill. The identity of the sex and all parts of the carcass must be present when the elk is checked.

Successful elk hunters are asked to contact the Wildlife Division of the Department's Marion Regional Office at (276)-783-4860 as soon as possible after killing an elk so that arrangements can be made to collect Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) samples. CWD testing is voluntary
My understanding is that its the CWD concern that triggered the regulatory treatment.
Old December 7, 2009, 02:17 PM   #31
Countertop

Quote:
You blast an elk in Pennsylvania and you are in a WORLD of hurt.
Apparently they have a lottery for Elk tags in PA.

The Elk there are pretty tame. Went on a Grouse hunt in and around St. Mary's, PA in early November, and they had viewing ares for the wild elk, who were all pretty docile and used to being seen and aren't concerned with humans at all.
Old December 7, 2009, 04:24 PM   #32
shortwave

From a distance, this guy probably did think it was a huge deer. This was not a big elk, body or rack wise. We`ve got some 300lb.+ deer running around. Thats not the norm but they`re here.

ODNR spokeswoman said there have been deer taken here in Ohio that they believe where crossbred with elk due to the skeletal and rack makeup.

As far as cougars being in Ohio, IMO, its very possble if not probable.

I can remember as a kid, it was legal to spotlight deer at night with no weapon in the vehicle. Was down around Marrietta spotlighting and came across a blackbear sow with two cubs. ODNR refused to accept that two adults and three kids watched these bears in a cornfield planted by ODNR for wildlife. Couldn`t get them to come out and look at the tracks all over. They knew but didn`t want them poached.
Old December 7, 2009, 04:44 PM   #33
bowtekhunter

Quote:
the 9 point elk
eastern count or was it a 9x9?
Old December 7, 2009, 06:22 PM   #34
shortwave

Quote:
eastern count or was it a 9x9
From the looks of the pics it a 9 pt. total. Eastern count.
Old December 7, 2009, 06:23 PM   #35
davlandrum

Quote:
eastern count or was it a 9x9?
guessing it was a 4x5...

Quote:
ODNR spokeswoman said there have been deer taken here in Ohio that they believe where crossbred with elk due to the skeletal and rack makeup
Not to be a kill-joy, but don't you think someone would have noticed this in any of the western states that have resident populations of both elk and whitetails. I call bunk.

Do whitetails crossbreed with any of the other deer subspecies; i.e. blacktails or mulies? I know that mulies and blacktails will interbreed on the Cascade divide.

OK, I don't actually know that, I have just always been told that.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 7, 2009, 06:24 PM   #36
shortwave

Quote:
eastern count or was it a 9x9
From the looks of the pics it a 9 pt. total. Eastern count. Also not much mass.

Wished I knew the website to post as there`s a pic. of this bull elk in the pickup truck bed with the hunter.
Old December 7, 2009, 07:01 PM   #37
Huntergirl

He got the meat. Good deal...
Old December 7, 2009, 07:29 PM   #38
James R. Burke

Had a lady here a few years ago shoot a moose with bow for a deer. She turned herself in explained she made a bad mistake, and was real sorry. They fined her ever which way but loose.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:21 PM   #39
wpcexpert

I don't know bout the rest of yall...but that is awesome. Not the part about the guy not knowing what he was looking at. Or the part about sure about his target thing. But he just got to bag a bull Elk for free.

I would be tickled plum pink if that were me. I'm trying to scrimp and save enough for a good elk hunt. But this guy got to kill one and didn't have to pay anything.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 7, 2009, 09:26 PM   #40
longrange08

UGH

I hunt southern ohio. there are 0 NONE not any elk here preiod. so if i saw one i would shoot it as there are no laws regarding them as they arent here. so if you see one its a pen raised one. so why shouldnt he be able to keep it regardless of what he thought it was. i will however conceed if he didnt REALLY know what it was he is a retard
Old December 8, 2009, 12:16 AM   #41
jrothWA

Once owned property in Astabula Cty, Ohio...

went grouse hunting and ended up talking to neighbor next to me.
His son goes and a trophy mount of a PRONGHORN antelope. that two years before escaped from the Zoo @ Erie, Pa.

Took it to the check station and the crew took info and some tissue and let him keep it.
Old December 8, 2009, 02:48 AM   #42
andrew66

ok that guy needs to take his hunters safety course again. (they will be requiring that here in manitoba next year) but that aside. its good that the warden let him keep the meat. I am dead against poaching, but even when an animal is taken illegally, i feel that the meat/fur shouldnt be taken away. i bet alot of it gets thrown out.
about the species that "arent there" who would have thought that cougars would be in the southern prairies of manitoba. apparently green peace planted them there to manage the deer population they ended up killing more livestock than anything. And they have "mysteriously" disappeared.... and suddenly (except this year) we were allowed a second (antlerless) deer tag