The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 1, 2007, 10:46 AM   #1
dfelix121

tritium sight alternative???

Heya folks... i just saw something on ebay that said it was a tritium sight alternative. Nitesiters or something like that. Has anyone heard of them before?

-newbgunr
Old October 1, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2
kayakersteve

I think they still employ some type of radioactive lighting device like trijicons do. Make sure they are not just extended glow in the dark, though>
Old October 1, 2007, 10:56 AM   #3
dfelix121

Did a search on the internet and found their site. Doesnt say that it's radioactive, but also says it's more than your average glow in the dark stuff. 30 hours of glow?

-newbgunr
Old October 1, 2007, 11:00 AM   #4
dwatts47

Besides the supernova sights that must be charged with another light source, most 'alternatives' to tritium are just junk.

If its a money issue, save up and by a good set of night sights as their durable construction makes them worth the money tritium or not.

If there's someother reason you'd want to avoid tritium I could'nt think of what it would be.
Old October 1, 2007, 11:07 AM   #5
dfelix121

It is about money for me... lol they're going on ebay for $4.00...and just under $10 on their site.

What are the supernova sights you're talking about. I've never heard of them.

-newbgunr

Last edited by dfelix121; October 1, 2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: forgot name
Old October 1, 2007, 11:30 AM   #6
dwatts47

They're Stock equipment on HK's New P30 They Glow brighter than tritium (not sure how) but must be precharged with a flashlight or other ambient light source.

And When I got one of my first newer model guns, a beretta 96, it came with common painted dot sights. I spent roughly $50 on that sight paint garbage to avoid the cost of having a gunsmith install other sights on this gun. Finally realized I'd have been $50 bucks closer to the real deal If I Had just been patient.

If thats not an option, my second choice would be HI VIZ fiber optics. They're not tritium but if you use a light in one hand and a gun in the other (Rogers/ Ayoob Technique) the light will be picked up by the sights and they'll look like they do in day light.
Old October 1, 2007, 12:28 PM   #7
dfelix121

You seem knowledgeable. Thank you for your help and information. I'm so new to guns and gun accessories that I feel like a goober sometimes. All I know is that I like em!

So $50 yeah... i can see just waiting to get the installed sights. (tritium/trijicon?)

But as it stands $50 is alot when i'm feeding a big family! hehe

The site is www.nitesiters.com

I've read some bad review on the glow in the dark paint so don't want to go that way, and this looks like a decent alternative to that solution as well.

Lemme know what you think.

THANKS!

-newbgunr
Old October 1, 2007, 01:39 PM   #8
dwatts47

Quote:
Super Bright & Super Adhesive
We use only the brightest and longest lasting photoluminescent pigments, which are up to five times as bright as Tritium, and glow brightly up to 30 hours after charging. Nitesiters are super industrial self-adhesive laminates that you can apply to your regular iron sights to make three dot or heinie arrangements to suit your own shooting style. The sights are resistant to scratching, moisture and gun cleaning solvents. They are engineered to be reliable under the most adverse conditions you might encounter, yet they can be removed without harming your firearm. The phosphors are Alkaline Earth Metal Compounds doped with Europium.
It looks interesting, but the "gun solvent resistant glue" thing is where I call BS. Gunsolvent and oil are very hard on anything thats applied after the finish, I.E. after the Gun's bluing or stainless polish is done. Duracoat is effectively "gunpaint" but requires the gun to be sand blasted and then it's baked on to stay adheared to the Gun.

I know the cost of premium tritium sights can seem high, but it should be the last set of sights that you have to buy for the gun.
Old October 1, 2007, 01:52 PM   #9
dfelix121

Thanks for your help and input... i'll start saving, but think i might pick up a pair just to see if they will work.

-newbgunr
Old October 3, 2007, 06:31 PM   #10
chris in va

Do you really feel you need night sights? Might just want to invest in a good 'tactical' flashlight instead. Heck, even those $20 Brinkmann lights work really well.