The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 9, 2019, 08:58 AM   #1
shurshot

IWB holster for SAA?

Anyone carry a SAA, Colt or clone in an IWB holster? If so, what holster are you using? In my box of old holsters I have collected over the past 4 decades I found a dusty 1911 5" IWB Safariland that seems to work pretty good holding my new Uberti 4.75 1873 .45 LC fairly secure and snug. I have a Bianchi Lawman, but I'm liking the IWB mode of carry. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better rig?
Old September 9, 2019, 10:12 AM   #2
reteach

Have not made the decision to buy one yet, but I've been looking real hard at these from Barranti.

https://barrantileather.com/shop?ols...summer-classic

I would use it with a Ruger Single Seven 3 3/4. Sorry that I'm not offering first-hand experience, but it is something to consider.
Old September 9, 2019, 12:33 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

A dusty 1911 is a totally different shape than an SAA. A 1911A1 is square, not round like an SAA.
Couldn't imagine any hand gun being more uncomfortable and unsuitable to an IWB though. The SAA was designed as a horse pistol. Meant to be used from horse back.
Middle of the back on the outside works though.
Old September 9, 2019, 01:16 PM   #4
bamaranger

hammer spur

Anytime I've tried to carry a single action revolver other than a Ruger Bearcat in any sort of waist band trouser / belt holster, I eventually get bit by the hammer spur. Longer barrels just make it worse.

Dillon sells Meinicke (?) OWB single action holsters that seem like they have enough forward rake that it might help with the problem, but as a SA is not a real serious SD pistol for me, I've not bought one.

My SA carry is either:
-on a second gun belt with a flap holster , cross draw for longer barrels
-cross chest or shoulder holster

This works well for woods roaming/ATV for me.
Old September 9, 2019, 02:08 PM   #5
shurshot

TOHeir; This Safariland has a piece of leather that separates the hammer from the body. Yup, its square, not round (I'm well aware of the difference in shapes), but it fits. Not a perfect fit, but the thin leather is more comfortable and far more secure than just tucking it in my belt "Mexican carry", as they used to say. It works.
I'll have to check out Barranti ... Thanks Reteach.

Last edited by shurshot; September 9, 2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old September 9, 2019, 03:31 PM   #6
shurshot

Whoah! Those Barranti's are not cheap, that's for sure! Nice looking rig though.
Old September 9, 2019, 03:57 PM   #7
reap

IWB

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/pr...single-action/

I have always been interested in these but haven’t made the purchase yet. May be what you are looking for?
Old September 9, 2019, 06:38 PM   #8
shurshot

Reap... yep, that looks like what I'm interested in. I'll have to see if they can leave an "ear" in the cut to keep the hammer from poking into my belly. Lol!! Thank you!
Old September 10, 2019, 08:17 AM   #9
the Black Spot

I put those long belt clips on a pancake, turned into an IWB. If removed its back to OWB
Old September 10, 2019, 01:51 PM   #10
Bob Wright

Sorry men, but I just can't see a Single Action carried in an IWB holster. Just seem contrary to everything I've ever put into practice about use of the Single Action revolver.

Bob Wright
Old September 10, 2019, 08:49 PM   #11
shurshot

Bob, I understand your perspective and to some extent agree. But for me, depending upon how I dress and the weather, sometimes an OWB is not as desirable as an IWB, with a single action or double action revolver or a semi pistol. I'm in the northeast and strive to stay as concealed and low key as possible. I carry 24/7, on duty and off. Although a long shirt or coat will cover my OWB rigs 97% of the time, IWB is 100%. For me anyhow. I'm just more comfortable with IWB as I'm not constantly concerned about keeping my rig covered if the wind blows or if I bend over at the store to grab a case of bottled water, as I am when wearing an OWB rig, as my shirt or coat may ride up and expose my rig. I live in an area covered with "snowflakes" and I don't want them to melt if they spot a "gun"... LOL! And, if there are bad guys around, I certainly don't want THEM to know I'm packing. Pretty hard to defend against a sucker shot from the rear, which when properly landed, would render most men unconscious and or disoriented and then easily overpowered and disarmed. It happens, no matter how big and strong we may be, a sucker shot can render us defenseless. A hardcore ex con, the real deal, who spots your gun and then decides he wants it, will likely blindside you... HARD and FAST. Like Mike Tyson once said "Everyone has a plan... until they get punched in the face"!
Everyone also has their preferences for carry rigs. My preference, when in town anyhow, is out of sight... out of mind. IWB carry helps me achieve that better than OWB, regardless of the weapon.

Last edited by shurshot; September 10, 2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old September 11, 2019, 12:54 AM   #12
DockRock

I love single actions revolvers. I regularly carry one, in a flap holster when out riding or walking in the woods. I can't imagine carrying one IWB. Uncomfortable is the least of my concerns.