The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 25, 2018, 08:03 PM   #1
epl1007

Best cheap range ammo 9mm

I’m going to be taking a defensive pistol class with my G 19 gen 4 And was wondering what’s the best cheap range ammo to buy
Old March 25, 2018, 09:05 PM   #2
jonnyc

I shoot lots of Tula steel and Federal aluminum and brass. All cheap and reliable.
Old March 25, 2018, 11:22 PM   #3
BigJimP

I reload ...but based on results my buddies are having with retail ammo...stay with brass cases and I would recommend you look at case lots of Federal white box or Blazer brass.
Old March 25, 2018, 11:58 PM   #4
Tacticool1976

check out target sports usa, when you buy in bulk and get free shipping it comes out to about 9$ a box for brass 9mm ammo, or check out a local wally world and sometimes they have WWB for about the same price
Old March 26, 2018, 12:36 AM   #5
Cirdan

Winchester White Box is usually the cheapest brass cartridges.

Tul is steel cased. Some like it, some don't.
Old March 26, 2018, 04:19 AM   #6
Carl the Floor Walker

I buy a lot of bulk ammo. I shoot a lot of Freedom Munitions, Lax, Perfecta, Remington bucket. One of my favorite is American Eagle.
Freedom munitions is great for 380 and about the best place I have seen.
Best shipping and good deals is "Sportmen's Guide". And I alway's get free shipping as a member. I can also buy Bulk from Sportsmens and put in on 4 Pay which kind of gives me a budget to work with.
Freedom is on of the few that will not run in my LCR9mm. And sadly Freedom munitions can have horrible shipping times.
Old March 26, 2018, 05:54 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

My last bulk purchase of 9mm was Blazer Brass & it's been just fine. I've also used Perfecta, Fiocchi, TulAmmo BrassMaxx, and WWB without issue. That's all through a Gen 4 G19.
Old March 26, 2018, 06:36 AM   #8
rpenmanparker

Until starting to post here and seeing the ammo search sites, I have been buying exclusively from Freedom Munitions for a couple of years. Then I learned the same ammo is available from Ammo Valley even cheaper. You have to pay for shipping, but the price for the ammo is much less. I plan to search Ammoseek before succumbing to the next Freedom sale ad or ordering from Ammo Valley.

Bottom line: there is very good, very cheap ammo available, not necessarily famous brand. So many ranges forbid anything but brass, that is all I will buy anymore. I am not shooting out in the wilderness or on an outdoor unattended range so it matters what the rules are.
Old March 26, 2018, 05:40 PM   #9
GarandTd

If you're not into boycotting Walmart(some are, and I don't blame them) they have federal and Winchester brass 100 round boxes for under $20, federal aluminum case for a little less than the brass, and Winchester USA forged (steel case) for $22.50/150 rounds. They have the best non bulk 9mm target ammo prices anywhere around me.
Old March 26, 2018, 08:34 PM   #10
TXAZ

Best or cheap.
Pick 1.

Look at ammoseek.com, they show you in real time who has what deals on ammo.

Pick your level of cheap ammo

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 26, 2018, 08:48 PM   #11
Rangerrich99

Not saying its the best or even the cheapest, but 1,100 rds of Wolf Polyformance steel-cased 9mm 115 gr. ran flawlessly and accurately through my Glock 19 gen 4 last year. I think it can be had for about $155/1000.
Old March 26, 2018, 08:52 PM   #12
Targa

Sellior & Bellot and Fiocchi are my go to.
Old March 26, 2018, 08:57 PM   #13
sparkyv

Just about any brand mentioned above, brass only. At this time you should be getting 9mm ammo for about $0.20/rnd. or less.
Old March 26, 2018, 09:24 PM   #14
MandolinMan

Provided your pistol functions reliably with it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with modern steel or aluminum case ammo. In fact, I can't recall experiencing a single malfunction with it. I'm finding Tula 9mm at my local Wally World for $7.76 for 50.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old March 26, 2018, 09:41 PM   #15
youngridge

Blazer, Winchester white box, even the green Remington box ammo works well for me. I try to buy at .19/round or less. I haven’t shot steel through any of my Glocks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 26, 2018, 11:25 PM   #16
Cirdan

I have both a 19 and a 26, and they've never choked on anything. During the worst part of the ammo shortage I fed them reloads and Tul steel, and they ran fine.

I prefer brass, and prefer not to run reloads from unknown vendors. Especially now that prices are coming down to reasonable numbers.

Be wary of buying online. Ammo is very heavy and shipping costs can be substantial, wiping out any savings. I go to a gun show where a regional wholesaler sets up. Just got 1,000 rounds of Sellers & Beloit for <$0.20 per round.
Old March 27, 2018, 12:21 AM   #17
Carl the Floor Walker

You need to start shooting and find out what your gun likes the best. Some guns will not run certain ammo. I personally will not ever buy Winchester White. Just too many problems with all guns that feed just about anything. Tula max for instance may not run in you gun as well as you can see why from the Picture below.

Old March 27, 2018, 06:43 AM   #18
rpenmanparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan View Post
I have both a 19 and a 26, and they've never choked on anything. During the worst part of the ammo shortage I fed them reloads and Tul steel, and they ran fine.

I prefer brass, and prefer not to run reloads from unknown vendors. Especially now that prices are coming down to reasonable numbers.

Be wary of buying online. Ammo is very heavy and shipping costs can be substantial, wiping out any savings. I go to a gun show where a regional wholesaler sets up. Just got 1,000 rounds of Sellers & Beloit for <$0.20 per round.
That could be the case, but it isn't with the cheapest suppliers. Shipping is either always free, sometimes free, always very cheap, sometimes very cheap, or standard price but the ammo is so cheap it doesn't matter. Freedom Munitions has cheap or free shipping a good fraction of the time. Ammo Valley charges more for shipping but takes that and more out of the ammo price. And so on.
Old March 27, 2018, 06:44 AM   #19
rpenmanparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandolinMan View Post
Provided your pistol functions reliably with it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with modern steel or aluminum case ammo. In fact, I can't recall experiencing a single malfunction with it. I'm finding Tula 9mm at my local Wally World for $7.76 for 50.
Except most indoor ranges forbid it.
Old March 27, 2018, 09:40 AM   #20
MandolinMan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandolinMan
Quote:
I can only speak for the indoor ranges around me that happen to be fine with it.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old March 27, 2018, 12:03 PM   #21
weblance

I like Blazer Brass 124 grain FMJ. Ive shot many thousands of this stuff in 9mm and 45, and I have never had a problem
Old March 27, 2018, 09:28 PM   #22
nanney1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
If you're not into boycotting Walmart(some are, and I don't blame them) they have federal and Winchester brass 100 round boxes for under $20, federal aluminum case for a little less than the brass, and Winchester USA forged (steel case) for $22.50/150 rounds. They have the best non bulk 9mm target ammo prices anywhere around me.
I don't stockpile or buy in bulk. So, the Walmart options work for me.
Old March 28, 2018, 06:28 AM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandolinMan
I've heard of ranges prohibiting steel core ammo, but I don't think I've ever heard of one prohibiting steel or aluminum cased ammo.
Old March 28, 2018, 07:27 AM   #24
Mackie244Bud

+1 what rpenmanparker said.
Quote:
ALL of the ranges by me (South Florida) do not allow for steel cased ammo.
I'm not quit sure why that is exactly and I never asked.
However they (gun ranges) always ask me, "What are you shooting today?"
I tell them Brass and they say good.
If that is not what they are talking about they would say, No, we don't care about the casing just if it's ...steel core ammo.
Trust me down here it's ALL about what ends up on the floor not down the range.
I could take a picture of their sign next time i'm there.

Maybe they pick up all of the old Brass casings to sell or reload and don't want to pick out the steel casings.

Also look out for ammo sales!
You just missed a BIG one from Federal for their "American Eagle"
25% off per box or bulk sale.
I bought 2,500 rounds of American Eagle 124g FMJ $500.00 (free shipping)
I received $125.00 in rebate checks.
So, do the math, that's 2,500 rounds for $375.00
That comes out to $7.50 per box of 50 / 15 cents per round.
That's the numbers I like going to the range on.
If I shoot 300 rounds that's $45.00 + Range cost: $15.00 = $60.00 day!
That's my hobby and Enjoyment!
Less than Golf and more than Bowling (depending on how much you eat & drink..LOL)
And neither one Could Save your Life..Well maybe a Golf Club or you could throw a bowling ball at your assailant!
LOL / ROFL Sometimes I knock myself out!

Before that Remington "Green" box was on sale.
What big ammo sale will it be for this year I don't know.
The Federal Ammo promotion ran from July to December 31st. of last year!
I'm good to go for awhile but I always keep my eyes open.
Lastly when a sale occurs it is usually shouted from the rooftops, somewhere in here!

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; March 28, 2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old March 28, 2018, 12:06 PM   #25
KLCane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie244Bud View Post
+1 what rpenmanparker said.

ALL of the ranges by me (South Florida) do not allow for steel cased ammo.
I'm not quit sure why that is exactly and I never asked.
However they (gun ranges) always ask me, "What are you shooting today?"
I tell them Brass and they say good.
If that is not what they are talking about they would say, No, we don't care about the casing just if it's ...steel core ammo.
Trust me down here it's ALL about what ends up on the floor not down the range.
I could take a picture of their sign next time i'm there.

Maybe they pick up all of the old Brass casings to sell or reload and don't want to pick out the steel casings.

Also look out for ammo sales!
You just missed a BIG one from Federal for their "American Eagle"
25% off per box or bulk sale.
I bought 2,500 rounds of American Eagle 124g FMJ $500.00 (free shipping)
I received $125.00 in rebate checks.
So, do the math, that's 2,500 rounds for $375.00
That comes out to $7.50 per box of 50 / 15 cents per round.
That's the numbers I like going to the range on.
If I shoot 300 rounds that's $45.00 + Range cost: $15.00 = $60.00 day!
That's my hobby and Enjoyment!
Less than Golf and more than Bowling (depending on how much you eat & drink..LOL)
And neither one Could Save your Life..Well maybe a Golf Club or you could throw a bowling ball at your assailant!
LOL / ROFL Sometimes I knock myself out!

Before that Remington "Green" box was on sale.
What big ammo sale will it be for this year I don't know.
The Federal Ammo promotion ran from July to December 31st. of last year!
I'm good to go for awhile but I always keep my eyes open.
Lastly when a sale occurs it is usually shouted from the rooftops, somewhere in here!

Mackie244 / Bud
I usually go to Gun World over in Deerfield Beach and a range up here in Delray. Do you know of any south east Florida outdoor ranges? They were talking about building something in the Loxahatchee area. Not sure what happened to that project.