The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 1, 2018, 03:42 PM   #26
nnxx

I tried a Glock 19 and it is too small. Feel a little weird
Old April 1, 2018, 03:44 PM   #27
nnxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
If you were able to carry? In NJ (when Hell freezes!) the Glock 19 would be a good choice.
I tried a Glock 19 and it is too small. Feel a little weird
Old April 1, 2018, 04:33 PM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

Lots of throwing around of various guns. That's the way of the Internet. Why not a Gluger in 423 Maximum - blah, blah.

If you shoot a G17 well and it fits your hand, it is an excellent choice. There is no reason for the snappier rounds as modern 9mm works as well. So much for the 40, 357.

1911s - I love them but they are great for a little more trained up folks. 1911s can be very reliable or problematic. You have to practice with their manipulations for using the safety or clearing them.

Glock 17s are very reliable. Yes, try a lot of guns but don't listen to hyper picky suggstions for exotica just because it's the Internet.
Old April 1, 2018, 04:50 PM   #29
Ruger45LC

If you like the size of the G17, I'd recommend that. If you want a bigger caliber, look into the G22 or G21, both great guns also.
Old April 2, 2018, 05:05 PM   #30
peacefulgary

If you never intend to carry concealed then the Glock 17 is an excellent range and home defense pistol.

If you want to carry concealed then just go a little smaller...Glock 19 or 26 or 43.

Happy shooting!
Old April 2, 2018, 11:57 PM   #31
wmg1299

The Glock 17 is a fine pistol that is well suited to your needs. I am sure that many avid shooters started by purchasing "one gun" to keep at home for defensive purposes. If all you ever need it for is home defense and occasional range sessions, it will last forever. If you wind up really enjoying recreational shooting, don't be surprised if it is soon joined by a DA/SA hammer fired model, a 1911, and a random revolver just for fun.
Old April 3, 2018, 08:21 AM   #32
Siggy-06

You could get a M&P45 full size that already comes with 10rd mags. If I was limited to a capacity, I'd probably just get a 1911 or 7 shot .357mag revolver.
Old April 3, 2018, 08:32 AM   #33
Viper225

Limited to 10 Round Magazines.
Illegal to use HP ammo for SD.

I have another suggestion, and I happen to like Glock Pistols.
Take a look at a Glock Gen 4 G37. This pistol has a normal magazine capacity of 10 rounds. It is chambered in 45GAP. This is a pistol with the same grip size as a Glock 17, so it is great to handle. The 45GAP delivers 45acp performance in a slightly shorter cartridge that fits in the standard size Glock platform.
When limited to Ball Ammo a 45 has a lot more going for it than a 9mm.
Just something to look in to. I have a Gen 3 G38, and I like it just fine. You may need to order ammunition for it, but that should not be a big issue.

Bob R
Old April 3, 2018, 10:02 AM   #34
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnxx View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first handgun and maybe only handgun for range shooting on the weekends and potentially home defense in the future. People have been recommending Glock 17 as I am a big dude. Since I am in NJ, I can only get Glock 17 10 round. What other handguns would you recommend if you don’t think Glock 17 10 rounds is a very good choice for me?

Thank you.

Sigh. I’m sorry man.

Well. If you LIKE the Glock then get one. But if it just feels a little off? Look at a Springfield. Or an S&w shield. Or any other Striker fires pistol. If you aren’t carrying concealed? Your options are really wide open (unless you are one of those people that carries concealed with a manual safety).

Can you tell us what you LIKE on a pistol? What features you want? Semi auto is a good choice for first time because it is simple to reload...despite what revolver people may say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 3, 2018, 02:32 PM   #35
HippieMagic

Quote:
It’s rugged and reliable, not particularly accurate and there is not a blessed thing you can do about the long mushy horrid triger pull except get some Glock trigger tuning wizard to work it down to simply icky. 9mm is a nice easy chambering.
This isn't my experience at all with my Glock 19. It pointed a little weird until I got used to it but there is nothing mushy about the trigger at all. It breaks pretty clean compared to some guns. I wouldn't consider it the most comfortable gun in the world to shoot, but it really isn't bad. Hits what I point it at well enough for my liking.

The Sigma trigger is what I would call a "long mushy horrid trigger pull".

The Glock 19 was my first handgun purchase and I don't regret it. If you like the 17, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Glock. I might suggest buying a metal guide rod or a plug for the grip. Not sure if that's still an issue in the newer gens or not, but it was an annoyance in my Gen 3. It's an extremely easy gun to field strip and clean, has been completely reliable for me, and has been my primary carry for a while now.

It's not my favorite gun in the world but it definitely serves its purpose and just works.
Old April 3, 2018, 07:57 PM   #36
nnxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
Sigh. I’m sorry man.

Well. If you LIKE the Glock then get one. But if it just feels a little off? Look at a Springfield. Or an S&w shield. Or any other Striker fires pistol. If you aren’t carrying concealed? Your options are really wide open (unless you are one of those people that carries concealed with a manual safety).

Can you tell us what you LIKE on a pistol? What features you want? Semi auto is a good choice for first time because it is simple to reload...despite what revolver people may say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wasn’t going to buy a handgun but they issued me the handgun permit which will expire soon. Then I feel it is meant to be. So I was looking for a reliable handgun which is big enough for my hand and decently cost efficient on ammos and I don’t need to put much effort on modification or upgrade. I am not a big fan of the grip of Glock 17 and I understand nothing is perfect. I have no need for concealed carry so safety or size doesn’t bother me.
Old April 3, 2018, 08:13 PM   #37
chadio

Have you had a chance to fire an alloy-framed, hammer-fired 'service pistol' such as the Beretta M9 / 92fs, or the SIG Sauer P226?
Old April 4, 2018, 11:08 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

I'm gonna buck the trend here, and say, for your first pistol, get a .22!!

semi or relvolver, I don't care which, but start with a .22LR.

Doesn't have to be the first pistol you own, but ought to be the first one you get experience with. If those have to be the same thing, so be it.

Forget, for now, personal defense, concealed carry, stopping power, and all the rest of the things we rant about so much here. First step, LEARN TO SHOOT.

NOTHING will be better for that, than a .22LR. Recoil is very light, report is low, and ammo cost is the lowest that there is.

Walk before you run, learn to drive on back roads and in small towns before hitting the big city and the freeways. Don't start out with a formula 1 race car, or an 18 wheeler.

After you have learned, and practiced the basics, THEN you can consider moving up to something more powerful. When that time comes, you can sell or trade the .22 to finance the 9mm or whatever it is that floats your boat. But, start with a .22. You won't regret it.
Old April 7, 2018, 01:41 PM   #39
kenny53

My first carry gun was a Glock 19. Bought back in the late 90's, no generation back then. Great gun then and great gun now. There are so many choices it can drive you crazy. So maybe I can muddy the waters a little more. Ever think about getting a 7 shot 357 Mag? Plenty of power and you can shoot 38's as well. Rent one you may like it.
Old April 7, 2018, 01:54 PM   #40
TruthTellers

If I were limited to 10 rounds and getting my first handgun, I'd get a Glock 20 Gen 4. If you're a big dude, you'll be able to handle 10mm Auto just fine, but if you're wanting to spend as little money as possible in ammo, 9mm can't be beat and you'd be better off with a Glock 19. No reason to have all that extra size in the grip for 10 rounds.

If you're not opposed to it, look at used Glock 23's on gunbroker. Same size as the 19, but in .40 and you can convert it to 9mm with a simple barrel change. I've been thinking of doing this myself, but I don't have a use for the G19 size pistols. Your situation is different than mine tho.
Old April 7, 2018, 02:13 PM   #41
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
My first carry gun was a Glock 19. Bought back in the late 90's, no generation back then.
There were already 2 generations by then, gen 1 and gen 2.
The gen 3 started in 1998.
(Gen 1 glock 19's are extrememly rare but they did exist)
Old April 9, 2018, 12:39 PM   #42
vba

OP, the Glock 17 is a great first handgun. Don't know why some people are pushing Shield, Glock 19 and other smaller guns. The OP said he is a "big dude" therefore, he should be able to grip the G17 nicely.

I would also suggest the Glock 34 which is the same frame as the Glock 17 but with longer slide/barrel, lighter trigger and adjustable sights. This gun would be great for home defense and the range.
Old April 17, 2018, 08:15 PM   #43
Buckeye!

A 17 is a great choice ... Light recoil .. accurate.. Inexpensive practice ammo .. Great selection of self defense ammo ..
I own a Vickers tactical Glock 17 .. I have a safe full of pistols ... This 17 is my home defense pistol .. My wife also shoots it well ..

Last edited by Buckeye!; April 17, 2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old April 18, 2018, 08:56 AM   #44
retlaw

I am not a gun expert like I'm sure many of you are, I own several guns but I'd say my trigger control has never been great simply because I never payed attention. Recently I started trying to learn this craft instead of just owning a gun and I recently bought a G17 gen 5. The trigger in my inexpert hands is very good compared to some of the other guns I own so I'd say the trigger has probably improved since the gen 4 because if the trigger were bad I'd not be able to shoot this gun well, and I shoot it better than any other guns I own.
Old April 18, 2018, 06:38 PM   #45
rodfac

Great choice...or a G19...get some instruction from a first rate outfit...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 18, 2018, 06:41 PM   #46
rodfac

Great choice...or a G19...get some instruction from a first rate outfit...and if you plan to use in for defense, on the hip or on the night stand, change out the issued sights for Glocks version of tritium night sights...cheap if you do it when you buy the gun initially. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 18, 2018, 09:07 PM   #47
Adizzle19

Just a point on hollow points in NJ: as another poster said they are verboten, but Hornady Critical Defense is perfectly fine and actually a pretty good choice regardless of restriction.
Old April 20, 2018, 11:42 AM   #48
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Limited to 10 rounds, I (personally) would look into a 1911 or Browning Hi Power.
I'll assume you mean a 9mm 1911 (I have two), and they're great shooters. But there's this:

• Most of them are heavy (exception for aluminum frames).
• They're absolutely convoluted to field-strip and reassemble compared to a modern gun.
• A good one is expensive, maybe twice as much as a Glock.

I agree that a 10-round mag mates well with a narrow single-stack grip, but I'd never start anyone off with a 1911. My first handgun was a Glock 19, for what that's worth. A Glock 17 (or one of its direct competitors, like an S&W M&P9 or a SIG P320) would be great, smart choices that the original poster is very unlikely to regret.
Old April 21, 2018, 10:52 AM   #49
JDBerg

I’ve had my Gen3 Glock 17 since 2009, I got it when the GSSF indoor league started at an LGR when I lived back east, and we were having too much fun when the non-Glockers complained to the owner of the place and that was the end of the league.

While there isn’t anything man-made that can be called “perfection”, there also isn’t anything wrong with these guns that about 12K rounds of live-fire practice can’t fix-LOL! This one has a Hogue grip sleeve and a Grip Force Adapter and I’ve had the striker engagements polished a while back, and I like the GL9 Magpul mags for the 17 (and the 19).

The best defensive & competitive shooters I personally know have a least a 17 & a 19 sitting in their safes, when they are not carrying them, training with them, or competing with them. The Glock 17 works for me, and if it works or doesn’t work for somebody else, that’s OK also.

Last edited by JDBerg; April 21, 2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old April 21, 2018, 09:08 PM   #50
makarov

Glock 17's are a great choice if you don't intend to try to conceal carry. If youhave a shooting range available where you can rent guns try out a few other guns. Some of my favorites in 9mm are:

CZ 85 Combat (if they don't have one rent a CZ-75). These are all-steel guns and are very accurate and have a great DA/SA trigger. If you aren't comfortable with DA pistols or safeties stick with the Glock. If they don't have a CZ rent a Browning Hi-Power 9mm as others have mentioned.

1911 in 9mm. Try a .45 ACP too if you haven't shot that round and you are a big guy, you might like it. It is not snappy and recoil is more of a solid "push". Since you are limited to 10 rounds anyway, might as well make them big rounds.... Again, this gun is a SA design. With a grip safety and slide safety. Pick the gun you shoot best and then learn how it works.

Glock 21 - .45 ACP Glock. One of my favorite guns. I am as accurate with it as I am with my 1911. Glock 19 if you like the grip size and like 9mm. Lots of cheap .40 Glock 22 trade-in's as well if you shoot, and find you like .40 S&W.

Personally, the gun I keep locked up next to my bed is the Glock 21. If I want to go to the range I like the 1911 or the CZ-85. Or buy a shotgun....