The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 6, 2018, 08:11 AM   #1
Goosebuster

CorBon DPX is there a downside to this ammo?

I have been reading and watching a lot of youtube videos about ammo and from what i have seen i am very impressed with the CorBon DPX. But you never know the motive or bias of the reviews you read & the videos you watch, so id like to hear some more opinions or real world experience. I got a box of the DPX for my .40 cal and thats what i've decided to use for my carry ammo. It cycles just fine and makes my gun a little lighter than the JHP im used to.
I have always considered the 9mm to be inferior (I no longer think that) so ive never owned one..... until this week. I bought my wife a new Glock 19 & bought myself an HK VP9. I feel like the CorBon DPX would be the best option for defense in the 9mm. Is there any reason i shouldn't think this? Does anyone have anything bad to say about the DPX?
Old April 6, 2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Siggy-06

Some people prefer 124-147 grain 9mm over the DPX's 95-115. Also the price is $27ish for a box of 20, which is pricey imo. I can get a box of hornandy critical defense for about $15 or federal HST for $19, and those come with 25 rounds, and perform excellent.

Other than higher price and lower weight, Corbon does make excellent ammunition. A lot of police officers carry it down here.
Old April 6, 2018, 10:18 AM   #3
Hal

IMH-E , you can't fool the natural order of things just so long until reality catches up.

Penetration depends on sectional density - the relationship of mass to the diameter of the projectile.

A higher sectional density can usually be counted on to deliver more penetration than a lower one.

The DPX, like pretty much all CorBon depends on lightweight bullets.

My fear is that, while it's tested to death, at some point it's going to fail & I'd hate that point to come after I'd squeezed the trigger.

Having said all that - - if I were to want/need/use an all copper hollow point, light for caliber, I'd pick a DPX without a second thought..

(and pray for the best)
Old April 8, 2018, 07:08 AM   #4
Chui

Try Federal HST 124 grain or Speer Gold Dot 147 grain (G2).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 8, 2018, 07:54 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

I am personally good friends with Pete Pi Jr.

I no longer recommend Corbon to anyone anymore.

Corbon was bought and the Pis' are no longer there. So we don't know what to expect from them. I also personally heard an unbiased way in which they were told to leave and I do not like it one bit.

The new Corbon that will be bigger and better is now getting started by Pete Jr. under the name Defiant Munitions.
Old April 8, 2018, 11:07 PM   #6
Water-Man

^^Not a very good reason to not recommend/or recommend the ammo.^^
Old April 8, 2018, 11:17 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

The DPX doesn't appeal to me.
Not enough mass. Too much hype.
WAAAY too expensive.

I like to run what I know will work; and I prefer a lead core that will expand nicely.
Having a more reasonable price point helps.
In 9mm, that be Speer Gold Dots.
I do prefer the 147 gr version, but ran across a pretty good deal on 50-round boxes of 124s a couple years back (sold as 'overrun' ammunition from a police contract). Performance between the weights is similar in official testing, and they're just as reliable in my pistols.

I'm good with it.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; April 9, 2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Wiped up a brain fart.
Old April 9, 2018, 07:10 PM   #8
JERRYS.

the only downside I've found is their price.
Old April 9, 2018, 07:24 PM   #9
JohnO

And availability.
Old April 9, 2018, 07:45 PM   #10
Goosebuster

Quote:
I like to run what I know will work; and I prefer a lead core that will expand nicely.
@FrankenMauser, have you ever shot the DPX? You get more consistent expansion (double original size) with 100% weight retention with the solid copper bullet. Expansion is one of the primary benefits of the DPX.

If you look at the all the test that have been done on the corbon DPX, it either outperforms or performs as well as all of the bullets that have been mentioned so far. I agree about the weight of the bullet being concerning, i would much rather the DPX be a higher grain. However, the test i've seen show the DPX performing very well and so far i cant find any reason not to trust them. The test i am referencing were all done based on the FBI protocol for ammunition.
Does anyone have anything bad to say about the bullet that is based off of personal experience or knowledge of the bullet?
Old April 9, 2018, 10:43 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
@FrankenMauser, have you ever shot the DPX? You get more consistent expansion (double original size) with 100% weight retention with the solid copper bullet. Expansion is one of the primary benefits of the DPX.
I have fired a box (purchased on clearance). Neither 9mm that I tested it in liked the ammo.
I didn't do any terminal performance testing.

Expansion is good, but the DPX's penetration is not "deep", as CorBon advertises it to be.
Nearly all tests I've looked up have the bullet only penetrating about 12", with a few that punch through already-damaged ballistic gel to just 14".
That's the FBI mininum. If a person wants to consider the FBI standards for judging ammunition, why get happy about something that barely makes the cut?

Even the FBI doesn't want the DPX load. They went for the 147 gr Gold Dot G2 after testing modern loads, and announcing a return to 9mm; and selected Hornady Critical Duty 175 gr for use in .40 S&W until those pistols are phased out.
Old April 9, 2018, 10:56 PM   #12
Goosebuster

This seems to be the best testing ive found. Id like to see more so if you have links please share. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/