The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 25, 2011, 11:45 AM   #1
chadstrickland

ruger mk3 trouble

OK folks.

I just got a ruger mk3 and while I was trying to disassemble it I continued to run into problems. First off the mainspring pin thingy didn't want to come out but a little work with a punch and its free.

Then the bolt absolutely refused to come out like the yahoo on YouTube and the manual showed me.

I finally knocked out several pins and wiggled the bolt assembly out only to find the receiver stuck..I mean stuck to the frame and before I start beating on it is there anything I should know.

Merry Christmas
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old December 25, 2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Fleet

The receiver is supposed to be stuck to the frame. Put a towel on your workbench and then give the muzzle a good whack with a soft faced hammer while holding the grip.
Old December 25, 2011, 02:36 PM   #3
sigcurious

if you got to rugers website they have a good video on the field strip. The only part they forget to mention is that it will take some whacking with a plastic mallet. But they do go through the steps well.

edit: http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html under techtips
Old December 25, 2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Don P

Just remember that when all else fails get a BIGGER SMACKER, I just love using Smackers and the bigger the better. If the part breaks then it needed replacing anyway. Stay with it and at some point you will get the hang of field stripping for cleaning
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 25, 2011, 07:26 PM   #5
dunerjeff

Those Ruger are notorious for a tight fit.Bigger mallots are the common resolution.They sure are nice pistols though.I have a MKII.
Old December 25, 2011, 07:29 PM   #6
jimbob86

same as shooting the thing:

Take it apart and put it back together a few thousand times, and not only will you get better at it, but it will loosen up a bit.
Old December 26, 2011, 07:33 PM   #7
chadstrickland

Lol I only had a small soft face hammer. It didn't work out. Ill let you know the results when I purchase a bigger one
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..