The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 9, 2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Uncle Ben

Why only run a bore brush from chamber to muzzle?

I've been wondering what the reason is for the recommendation of only running a bore brush from the chamber end of the barrel out to the muzzle end...

Why would you not want to run your brush in from the muzzle end? I know it would be a lot easier, especially when you want to avoid having to remove the barrel for cleaning.

Thanks for your input.
Old March 9, 2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Baphomet

Generally speaking it's much easier to damage the crown when cleaning from muzzle to chamber.

That being said, a recommendation is exactly what it is.
Old March 9, 2010, 05:32 PM   #3
gkdir

You also deposit all the junk from the barrel into the chamber/magazine/action area.
Old March 9, 2010, 05:33 PM   #4
golfballshootr

+1 Baphomet

Easier to damage the crown going from the muzzle. If you want to go that way, get good rod guides.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Straightshooter629

It is possible to cause damage to the chamber/breech area when the rod clears the barrell and buts up against the chamber/breech area. On the other hand, when the rod clears the muzzle end, there's nothing there to smash into.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:47 PM   #6
SigP6Carry

I've always generally done it from both ends. I'm a touch new to the finer nuances of gun ownership, and have never heard that. Have yet to mess up my crown or chamber/magazine. Don't know what to tell you.
Old March 9, 2010, 11:00 PM   #7
Ricebrnr

Because minor damage to the chamber area generally with have little to no affect on accuracy or reliability.

Damage to the crown can reduce accuracy.

So if you must cause wear and tear better to do it from the end that is less affected.
Old March 9, 2010, 11:04 PM   #8
SigP6Carry

Edit: nevermind, I thought of it backwards. My bad! Muzzle to chamber works for revolver owners! My bad!
Old March 9, 2010, 11:08 PM   #9
Ricebrnr

lol, might I suggest a bore snake, either way?
Old March 9, 2010, 11:22 PM   #10
Lavid2002

Rice....Thats why the make bore guides. : )

Its not ....which end do I wana screw up?

Its, left clean from the chamber side to keep solvent out of the action, use a bore guide to protect the lands and chamber, clean in the same direction of the bullet, etc...

P.S. What u drivin dude?
Old March 9, 2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Ricebrnr

heh well I have heard of that reasoning but I remembered mine first since on my Cz 75B and my AR 15 I can pretty much just take the barrels out or off of the action so no solvent worries there!

I used to ride 2 wheeled riceburners. Nothing exotic and pretty much not after my first was born. Sure do miss it though. But that's for the best I can only afford one expensive hobby at a time.
Old March 9, 2010, 11:30 PM   #12
Lavid2002

Oh only dirtbikes no cars?

: )
Old March 10, 2010, 12:22 AM   #13
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
It is possible to cause damage to the chamber/breech area when the rod clears the barrell and buts up against the chamber/breech area. On the other hand, when the rod clears the muzzle end, there's nothing there to smash into.
I dont think so...I doubt that something designed to contain a small explosion over and over again would be damaged by being banged into by a plastic piece or metal rod...
Old March 10, 2010, 04:53 AM   #14
Powderman

Friend, believe it.

I have seen revolvers that had serious burrs raised on the firing pin opening/port/hole, because someone kept ramming a brush end into it. Didn't take too long, either.

I have seen other revolvers that had divots literally dug out of the muzzle. This was from a gentleman who was a bit to diligent with a metal rod and JB Bore Compound.

I have seen the accuracy from a fine rifle go to crap--I mean, the rifle would do no better than 1.5 inch groups--from improper cleaning, from the BREECH.

It can and does happen. Get a good bore guide and a coated rod.
Old March 10, 2010, 08:37 AM   #15
fineredmist

I have several rifles that cannot be cleaned from the breech and to reduce bore crud from being deposited into the action I simply insert a fired case into the chamber and close the action. I use a brass cone type rod guide to prevent the rod from sliding on the crown. Cases are usually larger in diamenter than the bore so the bore brush will "turn around" and you can pull it back. I set the rifle up so the muzzle is lower than the breech to allow excess liquid to flow out and not into the action. If you are concerned about damaging the recoil shield of a revolver just put a empty case the approriate chamber and clean away. Works for me.