The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 28, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1
MagnumWill

Rifles with 15 rounds or less... :/

I really wish I wasn't compelled to make this thread. Being in CO, come July our selection of available rifles will be somewhat hindered. What I wanted to do was make somewhat of an all-inclusive list of what can be purchased without violating the new magazine limit of 15 rounds, which means a rifle that has a magazine in production that is fifteen rounds or less. I want this to be a guide for those not fortunate enough to pick up the rifle they wanted before the law goes into effect.

For example- any AR-15 and AK. 5,10 round mags available.
AR-10. 5, 10 round mags available.
M1 Carbine. 15 round mags available.

Ones that would NO LONGER be legal:
Any Thompson-based M1A1, I believe there are no 15-round mags.
FN PS90, since no 5.7 15 round magazines.

I have no knowledge of G3/CETME/PTR, or FALs, etc. what could you add to the "safe" list? (Until we overturn it, that is :fingers crossed

Last edited by MagnumWill; April 28, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old April 28, 2013, 09:25 PM   #2
FrosSsT

Your selection of rifles will not be hindered by magazine capacity. Simply have whatever magazines shipped to a FFL and have them or a smith do the work to make them 15 rounds. That is what I have to do since I live in NJ.
Old April 28, 2013, 11:52 PM   #3
tahunua001

the problem that they are going to have is enforcement. since there is no longer any chance of a federal ban happening any time soon, no manufacturer is going to stop making the high capacity magazines and none will start giving date stamps or marking M&P use only for their high cap mags.

as colorado can not confiscate existing magazines or penalize anyone for owning magazines manufactured prior to the ban it is therefore legal to possess any non date stamped magazine(which is almost all of them) or magazine stamped prior to the law.

so it would be just as simple to take a drive up to wyoming(or other bordering state) and buy high capacity magazines with cash and state officials would never be able to prove that you are illegally possessing a high capacity magazine.
Old April 29, 2013, 07:12 AM   #4
MagnumWill

Oh, I am very well aware of that, tahunua- heck, a few friends and I were thinking about getting a PO box in Laramie or Cheyenne that we can periodically check . But I must plead the 5th...

What I'm concerned about is when new guns are introduced after that particular time that have proprietary magazine styles, so if it's over 30 rounds, if questioned about it there's no way to refute that it's preban. For me, I'm happy as a clam with my selection. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about this. I dig the smith idea...
Old April 29, 2013, 07:19 AM   #5
jmr40

Manufacturers WILL produce magazines that meet the requirements and ship them to the affected states. Just give them a little time to gear up and expect higher prices. Ruger even makes 5 round 10-22 magazines for the states that limit capacity to 5.

http://shopruger.com/10_22-Black-Pla...uctinfo/90041/
Old April 29, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6
chadio

SKS ( w/ 10 rnd fixed mag and stripper clips)

Although some will claim it's archaic and / or inaccurate, don't knock it 'till you try it
Old April 29, 2013, 02:58 PM   #7
tahunua001

I suppose that would throw a monkeywrench in your plans. as long as it's a flat bottom magazine you could always make your own mag plug to limit the capacity of a factory high cap, I've done similar with my shotgun to make the capacity legal for waterfowl.
Old April 29, 2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Ben Dover

Buy your magazines out of state and keep quiet about it,

It was my impression that large capacity magazines were banned from sale or transfer, not possession.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old April 29, 2013, 07:25 PM   #9

This is the same situation we all faced during the so-called "Assult Weapons Ban"

It was illegal to sell NEW "high capacity" magazines (standard capacity magazines manufactured after the ban took effect), but it was legal to possess, own, buy, or sell "Pre-Ban Magazines". You could still own, use, buy, or sell a 100 round drum as long as it was made prior to the ban.

Very few magazines were marked in any way to determine when they were made. There were magazines marked "LE Only", but even these were legal if they were manufactured before the ban (which there was no way to prove or disprove since no date was stamped on it).

As always, it was a poorly thought out, unenforceable law. The only effect it had was to dramatically increase the cost of "pre-ban" magazines (which you had no idea when you were buying them, if they were truely legal or not). Again, it was perfectly legal to buy them and no way to determine when they were made (at least no practical way, I am sure the manufacturers might be able to determine this from any serial numbers or something, but no way for law enforcement to easily determine it's date of manufacture).

FWIW: it was the same with the rifles. There were a number of evil features that were permissible. If you had more than that number of evil features (detachable magazine, bayonet lug, flash suppressor..........) how could it be determined if you owned this rifle prior to the ban, or if these features were in place prior to the ban ? You couldn't. I did hear of a guy getting busted for selling a LE Only marked AR15 at a gun show, but that is the ONE case I ever heard of where someone was charged with making an illegal transaction during the ban.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Justice06RR

I do not know the extent of the new CO law, and I feel bad for you guys in those commie states like NY/NJ/CA etc.

SKS, Ruger 10/22, even AR/AK's should be ok as long as you have the 10rd mags. If you can buy up all the 30rd mags now, thats what I would do.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Geoff7

Quote:
since there is no longer any chance of a federal ban happening any time soon, no manufacturer is going to stop making the high capacity magazines and none will start giving date stamps or marking M&P use only for their high cap mags.
Unfortunately, I know at least two large magazine manufacturers who currently date stamp all their mags: Magpul and D&H. I wonder if the military requires date stamps, and that's why these manufacturers do it on their magazines. My CMI and Glock magazines do not have date stamps (that I can find, anyway).

Quote:
If you can buy up all the 30rd mags now, thats what I would do.
This is my approach.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:14 AM   #12
kraigwy

Quote:
Rifles with 15 rounds or less... :/
M1 Garand
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 2, 2013, 09:02 AM   #13
deepcreek

I have a feeling some gun stores will be selling lots of mags in Laramie and Cheyenne.

hmmm..? wonder how much rent and a few shipments of mags could be?
Old May 2, 2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Fishbed77

This is a law that has "civil disobedience" written all over it.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:57 PM   #15
mrvco

There is no law against grinding the date code off a mag.

When you buy a new gun from an FFL that normally ships with a standard capacity mag in excess of 15 rounds, you'll get the California 10-rounder instead... At least while this "law" is in effect.

Vote 2014
Old May 2, 2013, 11:09 PM   #16
MagnumWill

We'll just see how it plays out. I hope we can reverse it come 2014-2015, but I hope manufacturers will have some sympathy- I would love to have an MPX in .40, but it will almost certainly incriminate that it was purchased post-ban.

Man, I really need to get back into revolvers...
Old May 3, 2013, 12:46 AM   #17
amx4080

I'm also from Colorado, and these new laws have me pretty P.O.'ed. Just touchy-feely garbage that won't do anything to make the world a "safer" place and will waste tax payer's money to attempt to enforce.

Here's the text of the "mag ban bill" on Kommierado: http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cli...le=1224_01.pdf

It might have made somebody feel good to do this, but totally unenforceable. Tonight on the local news here in the Denver area (ch. 7) they ran a story that Weld county is refusing to honor the ban. Maybe the whole state hasn't been neutered yet.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:14 AM   #18
jaughtman

Mr Stuart beat me to it.........

Maybe this is the chance/excuse you have always looked for to buy a Garand!

J
Old May 4, 2013, 09:12 PM   #19
Boomer58cal

My bro lives in California so he could only have 10rd. I had a box of scrap flex rod peaces laying around from years of making muzzleloader ram rods and made limiters. I just used a screw and proper length of rod up through the bottom plate.

Boomer
Old May 7, 2013, 06:08 AM   #20
shaunpain

If you want to take it all the way to capacity, then get a M1 Carbine and be done with it. Only suitable self defense rifle I can think of at exactly 15 rounds.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:57 PM   #21
foghorn25

MagnumWill

Being from CT, I feel your pain. But I believe JMR40 is right. Manufacturers will produce magazines specific to certain state's requirements. I was surprised when I just picked up my Mini 14 it came with a 10 round mag, coincidentally, the maximum now allowed by CT law. Ruger's website says it comes with a 5 or 20 so I can only assume (if anyone knows differently, correct me) that they retooled specifically for CT. At least it seems that way.

It came with 2 and I bought a 3rd.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:04 PM   #22
Que

Quote:
Ones that would NO LONGER be legal:
Any Thompson-based M1A1, I believe there are no 15-round mags.
FN PS90, since no 5.7 15 round magazines.
Not correct. FN makes 10 round mags for the PS90. Hope that is good news.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:03 PM   #23
MagnumWill

All right! Thanks Que.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:55 AM   #24
Metal god

MagnumWill Do you have a link to the new law so we can look at the wording ?

Do you know if there is a grandfather clause in the law ?

Is there a constructive possession clause in the law ?

That would matter . as well as if you can just block a mag so it only excepts 15rds

Here in CA there is a ten round limit . We have to block them so you can only put ten rounds in them . Here is the funny part . You can own all the parts of a 30rd mag you just can't assemble it as one . A guy in CA can order a 30rd mag from out of state and as long as it is taken apart before it crosses state lines it's considered a repair kit . Many places will disassemble them before they ship . I might add there is a bill in the state legislature right now that will make it illegal to own a mag that even looks like it can hold more then 10 rounds .

Anyways , If there "IS" a grandfather clause and "NO" constructive possession clause . I would think the law would be very hard to enforce .

Last edited by Metal god; May 8, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old May 8, 2013, 07:12 AM   #25
MagnumWill

I know for a fact that they are grandfathered. It's ENTIRELY unenforceable. Heck, I learned a couple months ago that standard capacity mags are banned in Denver already. I'm under the impression no one knows that in Denver (whoops )

Let me dig up the bill, and I'll post it...