The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 20, 2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Tom Servo
Staff

Puerto Rico Abolishes Carry Permits

This one utterly blindsided me. There's an organization called Ladies of the 2nd Amendment in Puerto Rico who brought a class-action suit challenging the permitting system there. They won, and the result? Residents may carry without needing to pursue a permit of any sort. Additionally, there is no longer a permit requirement for purchasing guns.

They had a couple of wins there in 2011, but I hadn't kept up.

EDIT: if anyone would like to do some translation (or knows someone who can), the original documents are here and here.

Last edited by Tom Servo; June 20, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old June 20, 2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Having just returned from a dive trip in PR, im glad for the change.

Our first night there, staying in the town of Louiza, on the north coast, i tried to take my family out for a local dinner. As we parked at a seafood restaurant, i got out of the car and literally stepped on 5 pieces of 45acp brass laying in the parking lot.

The restaurant was closed so we left, but i would have felt better if i had had my pistol tucked away on me that night

PR is not a third world country, but sometimes the folks there act like it.
Old June 20, 2015, 10:31 PM   #3
dakota.potts

I did some light translation the other day, but some key points I remember
-It's unconstitutional to require a person to be 21 to carry a firearm when 18 year olds are recruited to the PR national guard to carry "true assault rifles"
-The $100 tax is unconstitutional because it's never been shown that you can tax an inherent right
-Allowing a $120 day vetting process is unconstitutional because an average NCIC check takes 5 minutes and can determine the same thing
-Barring felons, the mentally ill, drug abusers, and domestic batterers from owning/carrying firearms is constitutional, but some of their specific restrictions are not as they used vague terms such as "history of violence"
-Requiring am affidavit affirming compliance with all laws is unconstitutional as it restricts protections against self-incrimination
-licenses to purchase a firearm is unconstitutional
-The militia consists of all people who would bear arms in defense of the country

I'm sure there were other much more interesting parts for people who understand Spanish better than myself