The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 5, 2008, 03:03 PM   #1
SiggySan

When buying a used firearm...

What do you look for when buying a used handgun to determine it's condition? Some signs of wear are obvious but are there any subtle things that people look for? I'm in the market for a CZ 40p, which will almost certainly be used, and I'd like to be able to buy one without firing it and be able to be reasonably confident in it's condition.
Old September 5, 2008, 03:15 PM   #2
BigJimP

Take the slide off - check the barrel and inside the slide. General cleanliness is important to me - if its not clean, I pass. If its not generally clean - you can bet he didn't keep the firing pin clean, under the grips may be a lot of grime, etc. It never ceases to amaze me how some people don't take care of their guns.

Wear on the external parts of the barrel - are they normal or excessive - indicating owner did not keep it lubed properly. Where barrel travels - is there wear on the slide. How does the ramp area look - any excessive wear.

Operate the safeties - do they prevent it from firing. If it has a hammer - can you push the hammer and make it release - indicating an amateur trigger job. Dry fire it - if its a center fire caliber / or use a snap cap - whatever the owner wants to do - and see how trigger feels, slack, wobble, does it release crisply .... how does it reset?

Are the mags clean or are they full of grit ...

general condition - scratches, etc / know what the gun came with for original equipment - Night sights, 2 mags, optional grips, whatever .... Did the owner add anything to the gun. The original box isn't important to me - but to some it is - so ask if they have it . High end guns will come with a test fire target from the mfg - but that would be very unusual for a CZ. But you might ask if the owner supplied a "sample target" labeled for distance, type of ammo, date, etc.

Biggest thing - find a dealer you can trust. If you're buying it from a private party - I would not buy it from someone I didn't know / or someone that I couldn't verify his character - or from someone I couldn't get any references on ( does he have a CCW permit as an example in your state ?) .....the gun might be stolen .. Most gun collectors - that are selling guns - will have no trouble giving you a couple of references.