The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 25, 2008, 08:50 PM   #1
doctori

Off Limits Holster Carry

I am sort of new to CCW. I know you can not carry a handgun to places such as hospitals, banks, Post Offices etc.. My general mode of carry is a belt holster for my CCW. Can I legally and without drawing too much attention carry an empty holster into these places? My CCW will be locked in a vehicle until I return. It is a real hastle to try to undo a belt while sitting in a vehicle. I probably already know the answer but just want to confirm my thought.

Thanks
Old May 25, 2008, 08:55 PM   #2
tony pasley

You can wear an empty holster but it might be easier to get a paddle back.
Old May 25, 2008, 09:02 PM   #3
BamaBowtie

You should read YOUR state's laws closely and determine where you can and can not carry. I hear a lot of people say you can't carry in certain places such as banks. I have spoken with LEO and lawyers on this and banks are NOT federal property and you can carry unless your state specifically says not to carry in banks. As for your question, leave the gun in the car and keep the holster covered so you don't draw attention.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:47 PM   #4
mvpel

There's nowhere in New Hampshire off-limits under state law except courts.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old May 26, 2008, 12:28 AM   #5
chris in va

There was a post today about the students for concealed carry 'empty holster' protest in TX. TCC in Fort Worth apparently told him he couldn't walk around with an empty holster.

But in this case unless your state specifically prohibits it, an empty holster is no problem.
Old May 26, 2008, 09:26 AM   #6
doctori

Thanks for all of the great input. I live in the great state of Michigan. There is a lot of places that we can't carry such as banks, daycare centers, schools, Post Offices, theaters and list list goes on and on. I do have a paddle but the belt holster just seems more secure. I carry a glock 19. The belt holster draws the weapon closer and conceales better than the paddle. I did not think that an empty holster wasn't any more offensive than an empty cell phone holster. It's the contents that will get you in trouble
Old May 26, 2008, 09:46 AM   #7
DonR101395

Banks and theaters aren't on the MI prohibited list of places.
Old May 26, 2008, 11:01 AM   #8
JN01

If you are carrying your pistol concealed, then isn't the empty holster concealed as well? Who's going to know you have it on?

If you want to keep the gun in the holster when you remove it, another option might be IWB holsters with belt clips (my choice is a Don Hume in appendix position) or one with straps that snap onto the belt.
Old May 26, 2008, 11:23 AM   #9
jdc48160

Quote:
Banks and theaters aren't on the MI prohibited list of places.
In MI, it's entertainment facilities with seating capacity of over 2500 persons that you can't carry in. You've got to think about a movie theater. A single screen may not have that 2500 capacity, but you have to look at the overall capacity of the theater. All screen rooms at max capacity would probably be close to, if not over that 2500 number for any good sized theater.
Old May 26, 2008, 11:24 AM   #10
wyocarp

I have never heard of a law against wearing leather. It doesn't matter how it is shaped. I did have a policeman follow me into my son's school this past year. He noticed the print of my holster as he was directly behind me. He asked me if I was carrying a weapon. I told him I took it out and that it was just some leather. We had some further discussion but the holster wasn't a problem. We also had a campus protest of not being able to carry here at the University where students wore empty holsters.
Old May 26, 2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Keltyke

First, as some have suggested, verify where and where not you can carry in your state. Also note: most states have said a parking lot is "public ground" and thusly, you can carry in the lot of the restricted building. As far as I know, there are no laws restricting carrying an empty holster. To prevent misunderstandings. however, I'd pull my shirt or whatever off the holster so anyone can see it's empty.
Old May 26, 2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Dwight55

I don't mean to pick on you, doctori, . . . but this puts me in mind of a solution looking for a problem.

IF, . . . you are successfully carrying a handgun concealed, . . . what is the deal over carrying the empty holster equally concealed? You probably do not advertise the fact that you have a CHL, . . . why would you draw attention to the fact that you have left a perfectly good firearm and ammunition in your vehicle, while you putter around with an empty holster on your hip?

I wear several different holsters, . . . all of them are concealed, . . . and sometimes they are empty (mostly at jails, courts, sheriff's office, etc.), . . . and I just go about my business as per normal. No problemo!

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old May 27, 2008, 05:00 PM   #13
NavyLT

Also, regarding the Post Office, that has nothing to do with the state, it is a Federal Law. Also, possession of firearms on Post Office property is illegal according to the same Federal law. Therefore, if you are going to the post office, and, as you suggest, leave the gun in the car, make sure the car is not parked on Post Office property.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:24 AM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

I'd prefer a holster that I could easily remove and reattach. I've not had good luck with paddle holsters. However, the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is an IWB holster with snap straps. I've found it very easy, with a little practice, to discretely take it off and put it back on. In an OWB holster, I like the Milt Sparks Axiom. It has snap straps that affix it securely to you belt, and it pulls the gun in close to help concealment.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:02 AM   #15
JP Sarte

The "where can I carry question" is always a difficult question to answer because in all states the laws vary. For example in Kentucky where I have all my LEO experience, I can tell you that just because a business has a sign in the window stating you cannot carry does not make it illegal to carry there. What it does do is give the owner or manager of the business the right to ask you to leave. If you leave it is a non issue. If you do not leave then the legal violation is trespassing not a CCW violation.

Some states have passed CCW laws and within the laws are provisions that say things like "cannot carry into a police department" or "cannot carry in a court of law" etc. But these are all individual to each state.

I don't have to be a lawyer to answer your initial question about an empty holster. I have never in my life heard of it being illegal to carry an "empty" holster anywhere. It's just leather or plastic.

If a college or university attempts to ban "empty holster protests" that is a separate question of university rules and possibly free speech but has nothing to do with the commission of a crime.

As has been previously stated, you should have a complete understanding of your state's CCW law.

JP
Old May 28, 2008, 11:42 AM   #16
daveydoo

Agree with the last post. Universities and colleges are place to open minds and allow new teachings...as long as it fit the liberal lifestyle and propaganda. Never meet such a close minded bunch. If it does not fit there way it is wrong. They claim open and freedom but in reality they want a totalitarism form of gov't. It seems like we are moving in that direction sadly. Empty holster are a great protest as long as they are seen. but better if every armed American gather to the local universities and colleges and did the same. Or better everyone carry. Our forefather understood and together stop the overpowering rule.

It is time for Americans to stand up and say enough is enough. Goverment can not ensure safety without taking freedoms away. Reagan understood this by saying...Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. Or this one...The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' I do not need gov't to take care of me, only to allow the ability to rebuild myself serval time if need be.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:25 PM   #17
velobard

This probably isnt even necessary to say, but beware of carrying an empty IWB leather holster if it will risk flattening and deforming the leather. You'd kick yourself if your nice leather for messed up.
Old June 2, 2008, 04:21 PM   #18
snolden

Another point: If you are removing your gun from your holster, what about an ND? The purpose of the holster is to prevent the trigger from being pressed, no? IMHO, the safety side says to always keep the gun in the holster unless needed, unloading and unholstering as little as possible.

As soon as you remove the pistol from the holster, the odds of an ND go up tremendously. So my advice is to do what the above folks say: get a holster that allows easy removal, such as a paddle holster.