The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2000, 04:07 PM   #1
bullet44

Can anyone tell me about the lee pro 1000,
want to use it to load 9mm/45auto/How good
are they, will it turn out a good product.?

------------------
Old March 5, 2000, 04:48 PM   #2
Mikie

I eased into reloading by buying a Dillon SDB(40SW) that I paid $250 for. Eventually I wanted to reload 45 also so I bought a Lee Pro 1000 that I paid $130. The Lee does a good enough job. It is more prone to hangups/stoppages than the SDB but it was cheaper. It does turn out good rounds but you need to watch a few things: 1) ensure the powder charge return chain is tight when the handle is all the way up. This ensures a full powder charge. It loosened up on me once and I produced some squib loads which I caught before producing too many. 2)The bullet seat and crimp is accomplished in one station which makes it a little trickier to adjust but once it's set it does fine. 3) You need to develop a feel for when it's working smoothly since unusual resistance gives warning that something is wrong this saves you from crushing a shell that isn't feeding into the resizer properly or that a primer isn't going to seat correctly.

------------------