The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 20, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1
wbdrey

A help with figuring out A Bauer 25 problem

I have acquired a stainless Bauer that appeared to be unused when I bought it. My problem is it won't pick up the next round in the magazine. I cleaned, oiled, hand cycled it a bunch of times; did this three times. When I work the slide it feels crunchy( best way I can describe it) at the end of the travel, like a bunching spring such. Should I try different ammo, currently have some american eagle, or take it to the smithy to figure out. Any suggestions?
Old March 21, 2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Roughedge

are you sure it the correct magazine
Old March 22, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Superhouse 15

The "crunchy" spring is normal for that design. Check out where the striker sits on the sear when it's disassembled and you'll see why. It does indeed sound like a mag issue
Old March 22, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am willing to make a small bet that the "crunchy" sound (not normal) is connected to the failure to pick up a round from the magazine. If the firing pin spring guide is missing and the spring kinks, or the firing pin spring and guide were lost (a common situation), and someone replaced the spring with the wrong kind, the result will be exactly what you have experienced as the slide won't come back far enough to pick up a round.

The Bauer is a copy of the Baby Browning (the later gun, not the 1906 model) and parts from the Browning should fit.

Jim
Old March 26, 2012, 07:18 AM   #5
wbdrey

Thank you for your responses. I will see if I can find less than a gillion dollar magazine. I might just for kicks get a spring set from Wolff for it and see what happens. I will update this when something happens.