The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 16, 2019, 11:23 AM   #1
SRSTAdam51

My first S&W. 627 Performance Center

Picked this fine firearm up earlier this week. As you can tell by my background choices, I typically shoot cowboy action, mainly Taylor and Ruger single action 45 colts. However, I was in the market for a new fun range toy and home defense gun. I also wanted something with more capacity than my other wheel guns. Decided to go all in on this beauty. Best double action trigger I have ever felt. This gun has some TIGHT lock up and a butter smooth action. Definitely recommend checking one out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 16, 2019, 12:02 PM   #2
KyJim

Congratulations on the new revolver. Let us know how it shoots.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:06 PM   #3
JoeArizona

Beautiful gun! I'm sure its a shooter!
Old May 16, 2019, 01:06 PM   #4
dontcatchmany

I have had a 627 Pro Series for about 2 years...… actually have had it on my home office desk the last hour or so dry firing.

Mine is a fantastic shooter and I can not imagine a PC being better. But I am sure it is and believe you will be in an idyllic paradise shooting it.

Mine is a 4" and is very accurate.

Congratulations!
Old May 16, 2019, 01:39 PM   #5
ds-10-speed

I'm sure you will enjoy it, the Performance Center S&W's are a joy to shoot. I decided to try the SCSA dot division this year so I dusted mine off, put on a new grip, Raptor mount and a Burris FFIII. I bought it many years ago but haven't had much time to use it until now.

Old May 16, 2019, 08:54 PM   #6
SRSTAdam51

Thanks everyone, super impressed with it. Will be trying it out tomorrow and post a report!
Old May 17, 2019, 09:17 AM   #7
Dan-O

That’s a beaut!!
Old May 17, 2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Onward Allusion

Yeah, they're nice guns. Got the snub. Probably the most accurate snub I'd ever shot with full-house 357's. Lock-up is good but still nowhere as tight as a Colt. Of course, we're talking different designs. I might get the TRR8 instead of the 627 4" next. I like having the rails.
Old May 17, 2019, 09:45 PM   #9
gbran

My 627 PC is about the best revolver I've ever had

Trigger is better than butter. Same footprint and weight as my 1911, though it's a little wider, but not as much as you'd think. I conceal carry it 9 months of the year.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:52 PM   #10
AzShooter

I'm sure you are going to like it. I've had a number of Performance Center guns and have liked every one.

Your photographs are spectacular.
Old May 18, 2019, 05:03 PM   #11
dgludwig

Wait for it. I'm sure there's somebody lurking in the shadows just waiting for the right moment to inform us all that there's no such thing as a "Performance Center" at Smith & Wesson anymore. At least that's what I've come to expect every time this door is opened.

Beautiful gun, SRSTAdam51! Also, I love the looks of your revolvers, ds-10-speed, especially the one at the top.
Old May 18, 2019, 07:31 PM   #12
ds-10-speed

dgludwig,

Thanks for the comment but the two pictured are the same gun, top picture is how it came new and bottom has a new grip and dot sight. The muzzle front piece is interchangeable.
Old May 20, 2019, 08:11 AM   #13
Master Blaster

Quote:
Yeah, they're nice guns. Got the snub. Probably the most accurate snub I'd ever shot with full-house 357's. Lock-up is good but still nowhere as tight as a Colt. Of course, we're talking different designs. I might get the TRR8 instead of the 627 4" next. I like having the rails.
Lock up not as tight as a colt really....
I bought my PC 627 in 2009, since then it probably has had 5-6,000 rounds of ammo through it about 25% full power .357. It has No play, end shake or movement of any kind... For a Colt it would be time for a trip to the gunsmith.

The 627 PC is a great gun and well worth the price you will love it.

Last edited by Master Blaster; May 20, 2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 22, 2019, 09:32 PM   #14
SRSTAdam51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I'm sure you are going to like it. I've had a number of Performance Center guns and have liked every one.

Your photographs are spectacular.
Thanks, it was a rush job unfortunately! In the middle of a move so will get some really good ones of my entire collection over the next few months.

By the way, goodness this is a sweet shooter! LOVE IT.
Old May 23, 2019, 05:10 AM   #15
jetinteriorguy

I sure miss mine, unfortunately a momentary lapse in diligence and a double charge of Titegroup ended it's life. Luckily no one was hurt. No more Titegroup for me.
Old May 23, 2019, 06:09 AM   #16
Bulwyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
Lock up not as tight as a colt really....
I bought my PC 627 in 2009, since then it probably has had 5-6,000 rounds of ammo through it about 25% full power .357. It has No play, end shake or movement of any kind... For a Colt it would be time for a trip to the gunsmith.

The 627 PC is a great gun and well worth the price you will love it.
Really?? Lol I have my dads python, carried as a deputy sheriff.

Over 45,000 rounds, zero issues. Approximately, 65% magnum the rest 38 special

My first python, 38,754 total 14,730 magnum about 38% 24,024 special about 62% Zero issues, other than extensive wearing on dads gun from being carried they are as tight as my unfired pythons.

Calling the python action weak is just repeating bs from people that have no first hand knowledge. There is approximately 3 THREE, qualified colt python action gunsmith. Now, I love my S&W, I own a bunch, so I’m qualified to have an opinion without being a colt fanboy.

The s&w is a superior design in that it is simple, needs no real fitting, and any moron with a screwdriver can fiddle with it. The python has a beautiful design that actually tightens as trigger is pulled. I’m not saying better, but it’s pretty darn cool. But it requires very precise fitting. Talking to a colt gunsmith he said the vast majority of repairs he’s seen. They were either worked on by the owner, the smith the owner paid to wreck it or believe it or not, many were damaged by “flailing”. A idiotic cowboy movie invention. Hold a SAA trigger back while striking the hammer with opposing hand. Bob Munden used this trick. Guess what? It tore up guns. He had to design his own that could handle it. Many were damaged, in fact I bought a beautiful 4” chrome model in the mid 90’s, I paid a crazy low amount. And my dad saw the damage. Well, that one fires just fine.
Pythons aren’t worth the crazy prices. BUT, they will never be made again. Can’t be made actually. But sneering at a fine gun, and repeating such comments? Come on, I love my S&Ws, carry one daily. But I’ve seen so many 29s fail, it amazes me. I won’t carry on, but s&w has made many turds.

Sorry if I seem harsh. But calling colts action weak is balderdash. Most of our fellow gunmen tinker with their crap and don’t want to admit what they did.
Old May 23, 2019, 06:12 AM   #17
Bulwyf

Well, that 627, it’s inherently weak. That 8 round cylinder. That’s why they call it the hand mangler.

Sorry, couldn’t resist. I hope my point has been made.

My favorite 357 is my 5” 627. Perfect gun in my opinion.
Old June 15, 2019, 12:26 PM   #18
AreYaSerious

I bought mine 8 months ago and it's the only gun I have that I don't carry. Awesome gun, you will love it. Very accurate and smooth trigger.