The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 27, 2019, 06:41 PM   #126
stephen426

Soooo... Not to throw a monkey wrench into the equation, but if someone is at contact distance, do you actually try and draw your weapon, or do you grapple for the gun? I know it would be based on your attacker's distance from you, your own physical capabilities and training, and your attacker's perceived physical capabilities.

Frankly, I think drawing on a drawn gun is going to be a losing proposition even if you are a very fast draw. If someone got close enough to me with a drawn weapon, I would most likely comply and look for an opportunity. Be careful not to project your intentions by sizing them up. If I was to resist, I'd go for the throat (literally). You can't breath, it's going to be hard to fight. Follow it up with eye gouges and elbows. If the opportunity doesn't present itself, comply until there is a chance or until compliance no longer seems the safest option.
Old March 27, 2019, 08:25 PM   #127
Jack Ryan

In a way guns are kinda like karate. The best way to prevent getting shot is "don't be there" where they are shooting.
Old March 27, 2019, 10:17 PM   #128
Leaf

Quote:
In this circumstance that you describe ( close enough to practically slap) and considering that a drawn weapon typically moves upward , I could be mistaken but you are seemingly suggesting that a person forego the near universal target zone and continue upward to what seems to be considered a "better" target zone.
No, fireforged. Only suggesting you better move on up to the head quickly if you don’t want to be a corpse laying there alongside your assailant.

Quote:
There is a lot of thanking and honoring going on here over the death of forum members from not following your advice. I guess we should be thankful for your oracle like abilities.
You sir, tunnelrat, are quite welcome.

Quote:
The idea of the "headshot" being this instant kill is probably overblown.
Indeed, Lohman. But not more overblown then the assumption that chest shots are going go immediately stop your assailant.

Quote:
Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you
make your second shot perfect.
Right on, Aarond. You nailed it.

Quote:
But any one can pick up Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, Massad Ayoob, Andy Stanford, Charles Askins, Ken Hackathorn, Farnham, Applegate and Sykes and many others, and read what they emphasize and what they did/ and do, and taught. These are the old timers I was thinking of.
So tupac, it would probably surprise you if you found out that in the scenario I’ve described they would agree with me? You wouldn’t, like, poop your britches over such a revelation and take the walk of shame, would you?

Quote:
Soooo... Not to throw a monkey wrench into the equation, but if someone is at contact distance, do you actually try and draw your weapon, or do you grapple for the gun? I know it would be based on your attacker's distance from you, your own physical capabilities and training, and your attacker's perceived physical capabilities.
That is an EXCELLENT question, Stephen. And it is only one that can generally be answered at the time of the attack. My response is to immediately deflect with my free hand and start going to work with my firearm. Or to start going to work with my firearm and in that scenario I’m probably going to be going first for the brain because I know I HAVE TO or I’m almost certainly dead.

Quote:
In a way guns are kinda like karate. The best way to prevent getting shot is "don't be there" where they are shooting.
And another right on, Jack. You also nailed it.
Old March 27, 2019, 10:25 PM   #129
Leaf

If I can save the life of only one inexperienced, untrained, firearms enthusiast, then my work here it is all worth it. (Wink, wink). Cheers!
Old March 27, 2019, 11:07 PM   #130
JohnKSa
Staff

I think this one has wound down to repetition and having to try too hard to be civil...