The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 29, 2018, 08:33 PM   #51
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
The ACLU has weighed into support the NRA. There's a post and a copy of the brief at: https://reason.com/volokh/2018/08/26...against-ny-gov. The ACLU is supporting the NRA strictly on First Amendment grounds.
Some of the regional ACLUs support the Second Amendment. The National ACLUs position is hypocritical, especially since Heller.

If this were a strictly 2nd Amendment issue, the ACLU wouldn't lift a finger. However, they are ferocious when it comes to defending the rest of the Constitution. Since this is a First Amendment / abuse of government power issue, they are front and center. They sided with the NRA when the Obama administration wanted to make being on a secret "terrorist" list grounds for a NICS denial.
Old August 29, 2018, 08:56 PM   #52
KyJim

Quote:
But didn't the ACLU side with the gun folk during the social security debacle where they tried to have a bunch of people put on the 'no buy list'?
They did.
Old August 30, 2018, 07:54 AM   #53
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
If this were a strictly 2nd Amendment issue, the ACLU wouldn't lift a finger. However, they are ferocious when it comes to defending the rest of the Constitution.
I’m not sure I’d agree with that; but in any case the ACLU is reconsidering its defense of the First Amendment due to pressure from donors. For example:

“The backlash has already spurred other ACLU chapters to declare that they don’t believe free-speech protections apply to events like the one in Charlottesville, and led the ACLU’s national director, Anthony Romero, to declare the group will no longer defend the right to protest when the protesters want to carry guns.” - https://www.vox.com/2017/8/20/161678...harlottesville
Old August 30, 2018, 09:20 AM   #54
zukiphile

This reminds me of the words attributed to Gandhi, “There goes my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
I’m not sure I’d agree with that; but in any case the ACLU is reconsidering its defense of the First Amendment due to pressure from donors. For example:

“The backlash has already spurred other ACLU chapters to declare that they don’t believe free-speech protections apply to events like the one in Charlottesville, and led the ACLU’s national director, Anthony Romero, to declare the group will no longer defend the right to protest when the protesters want to carry guns.” - https://www.vox.com/2017/8/20/161678...harlottesville
If only the ACLU had a history of claiming broad 1st Am. protections, especially for the odious. The ACLU is self governing and free to chase the desires of its membership, but this is like the NRA rethinking whether it considers the 2d Am to describe an individually held right.
Old September 1, 2018, 04:24 AM   #55
publius42

Quote:
But didn't the ACLU side with the gun folk during the social security debacle where they tried to have a bunch of people put on the 'no buy list'?
Two different issues there.

On the SS one, the claim was that people who did not manage their own financial affairs shouldn't have guns. The ACLU supported the NRA position.

On the "no fly/no buy" list, the claim was that people who are on a secret list for secret reasons shouldn't have guns. The ACLU again supported the NRA position.

And now this. I'm starting to think buying the ACLU was one of the NRA's smartest investments. Or something.
Old December 16, 2018, 02:24 PM   #56
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I have just deleted 24 posts (including a post I made) as being off topic.

Any further "Russia Connection" related post in this thread is off topic. The thread is about the lawsuit against New York.
Old December 17, 2018, 09:56 AM   #57
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by publius42 View Post
Two different issues there.

On the SS one, the claim was that people who did not manage their own financial affairs shouldn't have guns. The ACLU supported the NRA position.

On the "no fly/no buy" list, the claim was that people who are on a secret list for secret reasons shouldn't have guns. The ACLU again supported the NRA position.

And now this. I'm starting to think buying the ACLU was one of the NRA's smartest investments. Or something.
The ACLU won't lift a finger to defend the Second Amendment, at least at the national level. However, they are ferocious in defending the other amendments. So while they won't defend the Second directly, they will jump in if other amendments are involved. They don't like secret lists, declaring broad classes of people outside constitutional protection or commercial blackmail.

Tags
finance , new york , nra