The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 29, 2018, 08:45 PM   #1
StainedClassKing

Ultra-close encounters: are revolvers better?

I'll be turning 21 in a few months and plan on getting my first handgun. I don't have all that much experience, so whatever I may make no sense, but I have a question. A question about a specific situation.

Say an assailant is either pushing you up against a wall, the hood of your car, or something like that. You're super close, belly to belly even, and he has a knife, his fist, or something of that nature right next to your face. You draw your gun with a shaky hand, and pull the trigger.

Given how close you are, there's the chance that as you draw, you might be pushing against his body or jacket. In the case of a semi-auto pistol, wouldn't this push back the slide and put the gun out of battery? I've heard this could be a potential problem, but I'm looking for a more concrete answers. If your grip is a bit shaky, and you push the muzzle against some kind of surface, would your auto be rendered useless unless you voluntarily pull it away from him?

Also, which would be a more likely situation: an assailant trying to grab the cylinder in order to disable your revolver, or grabbing the slide?

Last edited by StainedClassKing; January 29, 2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old January 29, 2018, 09:05 PM   #2
tallball

It's almost like trolling. I own many semiautos and like them a lot. But if it's a situation of pushing and grabbing and rolling around, I will take a revolver 11 times out of 10.
Old January 29, 2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Model12Win

I think a snub nose INTERNAL HAMMER is about the best "GITOFFAME" gun extant.

Last edited by Spats McGee; January 30, 2018 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Removing asterisks, member evading language filter
Old January 29, 2018, 09:14 PM   #4
BigJimP

No, they're not better...it is possible to grab & stop cylinder from rotating as well....

Limited experience ...is a good reason to get some training...in both revolvers and semiautos.

Don't be in too big a hurry to buy your first gun...take some time/ shoot as many guns as you can / find some good local classes.

I have - and like both - for many reasons ...but in most cases I would rather have the semi auto
Old January 29, 2018, 10:27 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Know the law, take a decent training course or just use common sense and don't overblow the scenarios. Getting away from reality leads to the "what if I am attacked by twenty thousand zombies in the middle of Main Street ..." nonsense.

Jim
Old January 30, 2018, 01:59 AM   #6
Viper225

The less well trained that you are, the better off you are with a revolver. My advice would be to start off with a Ruger SP101 or a K Frame S&W snub, and do not worry about buying a used one. As you get training, and more experience you can pretty much get your money back trading it for something else. When you decide on your preferred method of carry, get a quality holster, either Inside the Waste Band or a strong side belt holster.
The situation mentioned above can be problematic. With a muzzle contact belly to belly situation you will more than likely get a semiauto to fire once. You have a very good chance of getting clothing, etc in contact with the slide causing a jam when firing. Also a loose grip will cause most polymer frame semiauto's to short cycle and jam. A revolver will have a much better chance of firing more than one shot if needed.

Bob R
Old January 30, 2018, 04:49 AM   #7
tallball

What Viper said. ^^^^

The "semiautomatic vs. revolver" conversation has been posted 40 billion times here, and will be posted 40 billion more times. They both have advantages. The situation the OP is describing is one of the revolver's advantages.

I have three of each as carry pieces. I carry my Glock 43 more than anything lately. But in a "pummeling and grappling" scenario I would very, very much prefer to have a hammerless revolver.
Old January 30, 2018, 05:09 AM   #8
Venom1956

Sounds like fantasy.

If your attacker has a knife to your face and you try and draw your probably getting a knife to the face. I doubt make and model will do much difference. If by some miracle you do either will probably function.

Let's just be real here in real life good guys don't always win.

Ive seen some very hard to watch video of good men losing fights from my friends that were police officers. Guns don't always mean you'll be victorious.

I think you should read and learn as much as you can before jumping into something like cc. Lots of here grew up around guns but it sounds to me like you are just learning. Lot of good advice here on tfl. Keep an open mind.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 30, 2018, 06:29 AM   #9
HistoryJunky

IMO if you are a new shooter I would pick a semi-auto over a revolver. Most of the DA triggers on revolvers are fairly heavy in comparison to a lot of semi autos. This means you're going to have a harder time hitting what you're aiming at.

That being said, if you decide to go with a revolver there are still plenty of trade ins at affordable prices.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old January 30, 2018, 07:17 AM   #10
dano1200r

Since it's your 1st gun, and you have little experience, I lll give you my free advice, worth every penny.
1st, take a class. Read what Venom said.
2nd, never sell your 1st gun.
3rd, A 442 will save you as well as a Mark 23 in the situation you describe.
4, practice, learn, and get a good holster.
Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old January 30, 2018, 07:22 AM   #11
Lohman446

If your assailant is in that superior of a position and you are going to free and dedicate one hand to drawing and firing a pistol of any type you are already betting against the odds. You are turning 21... this type of situation should not be happening to you.
Old January 30, 2018, 07:59 AM   #12
GeauxTide

Quote:
Know the law, take a decent training course or just use common sense and don't overblow the scenarios. Getting away from reality leads to the "what if I am attacked by twenty thousand zombies in the middle of Main Street ..." nonsense.
Thank you James. Right on. Take a course and become efficient with your weapon to the tune of 2k rounds. If there is a gun club that offers Tactical courses, take them.
Old January 30, 2018, 09:32 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Like James said, 10,000 ninjas can spoil even the best self defense plan.

Get some training, shoot some guns and find what you are comfortable with. No gun is going to be 100% reliable in every situation you can think up.
Old January 30, 2018, 09:34 AM   #14
Screwball

Ultra-close encounters: are revolvers better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post
IMO if you are a new shooter I would pick a semi-auto over a revolver. Most of the DA triggers on revolvers are fairly heavy in comparison to a lot of semi autos. This means you're going to have a harder time hitting what you're aiming at.
My LCP has a longer pull than my 642-1, and a little heavy. It is why people need to train on their carry guns... both live and dry fire practice.

In regards to the original post, I doubt you’d see any difference in accuracy at belly distances. Besides, when you are all amped up from being in a defensive situation (where your life is on the line), you really aren’t going to notice differences in trigger pull weight. Might not even notice recoil.

Even at further distances, pull weight does not necessarily equate to accuracy. Proficiency and training speak to that more.

For the original scenario, it likely won’t be a position a normal person will get themselves into. Situational awareness goes a long way.
Old January 30, 2018, 10:22 AM   #15
jmr40

If they are close enough to get a semi-auto out of battery they are close enough that the cylinder won't rotate on a revolver, or clothing can get between the hammer and firing pin on a revolver preventing it from firing.

There is no advantage to either in this scenario.

Winston Churchill
Old January 30, 2018, 10:42 AM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Your best defense is not to have the problem in the first place. Don't let strangers get that close to you.

Pay attention. Put the cell phone down. Do not walk and text, never wear headphones in public, keep your head up and looking around. Don't even walk and talk on a cell phone. The distraction is too great and you will attract the worst kind of attention. See the other guy first.

If a stranger approaches and gets too close, tell them in a "commanding voice" to "that's far enough, do not come any closer. What can I do for you?"

Put your weak hand out open, palm in a "stop" signal. Keep your strong hand in your front pocket or read around your waist. It's better if you gun is actually where you are reaching. The more professional you look, the more like a cop you'll seem, and he's been arrested before.....

You could fire a semi ago into his thighs.....less chance of getting out of battery and it'll ruin his day.

Carry whatever gun you can shoot best, conceal, and afford. .38 Special and 9mm Luger are minimum calibers.

Exercise, get into shape, learn some basic grappling moves. Prepare to fight dirty if you have to. Gouge out eyes, bite his face, rip off an ear.

After public school "fighting" takes on a whole new meaning and only the foolish want to fight.....these types end up in prison or dead.

Know your laws. Avoid trouble. Don't drink or do drugs. If you can, carry pepper spray. It will give you something to use other than killing the guy. It's best to save up a few thousand for a defense attorney. Even cheaper to avoid the problem in the first place.

Read Massad Ayoob's book DEADLY FORCE: UNDERSTANDING YOUR RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE. In fact, read that first before doing anything else suggested on this thread.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; January 30, 2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old January 30, 2018, 12:00 PM   #17
pete2

The revolver is always better but it won't shoot 18 or 20 times.
Old January 30, 2018, 12:01 PM   #18
Don P

Quote:
I'll be turning 21 in a few months and plan on getting my first handgun. I don't have all that much experience,
Get training

Quote:
The less well trained that you are, the better off you are with a revolver
Better off with neither

Quote:
Know the law, take a decent training course
Again obtain training and practice
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 30, 2018, 02:09 PM   #19
RickB

Auto pistols with "full length recoil spring guide rods" that extend to the end of the slide are less likely to be pushed out of battery.
Some consider that an advantage - the gun not easily pushed out of battery inadvertently - while others prefer to be able to perform loading and reloading functions by pushing the slide against the edge of a solid object to rack it, and the full-length guide rod prevents that.
Of course, there are alternate techniques for one-handed racking of a gun that does have the full-length rod.

I would not choose a self-defense weapon based on a single what-if scenario.
Old January 30, 2018, 04:42 PM   #20
UncleEd

(quote) The revolver is always better but it won't shoot 18 or 20 times. (unquote)

But at rough and tumble distances, probably only need 14 or 15 shots.
Old January 30, 2018, 05:28 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
And I would recommend the revolver, for some of the same reasons.
Old January 30, 2018, 06:08 PM   #22
nanney1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
Since it's your 1st gun, and you have little experience, I lll give you my free advice, worth every penny.
1st, take a class. Read what Venom said.
2nd, never sell your 1st gun.
3rd, A 442 will save you as well as a Mark 23 in the situation you describe.
4, practice, learn, and get a good holster.
Good luck.

Why should you never sell your first gun? Just wondering?
Old January 30, 2018, 09:21 PM   #23
Kvon2

Instead of not answering your question and telling you to get training, I'll give you my opinion.

It is entirely possible for a semi auto to go out of battery because it was pushed in to your target too hard. In a situation where an attacker is close or maybe on top of you a revolver could be an advantage over a semi auto.

If this is of importance to you, or if revolvers just interest you, a revolver will serve you well.
Old January 30, 2018, 09:40 PM   #24
dano1200r

Regret.

Old January 30, 2018, 11:53 PM   #25
Water-Man

Double action snubnose revolver.