The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 22, 2018, 12:11 PM   #1
MomInNY

Sights for Picatinny rail on Buck Mark Field Target

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are colored or fiber optic sights available that fit on the Picatinny rail of a Buck Mark Field Target? I would prefer front and rear dots. New to shooting, and also middle-aged, so I am having difficulty trying to aim using the factory sights at an indoor range, shooting at black splatter targets. Thanks

Last edited by MomInNY; February 22, 2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: More specific
Old February 22, 2018, 01:25 PM   #2
weblance

First off... WELCOME !! I dont know of anything other than the sights that are available for AR type weapons, such as Magpul, or Troy.

The rail on your Buckmark is designed for an optic. Something small like a Burris Fast Fire III or Sig Romeo 5 would be what I would use.
Old February 22, 2018, 02:36 PM   #3
MomInNY

Thank you, I will check them out. All the “guys” I talked to about getting an optic told me it was “cheating.” A friend of mine had this gun with an optic, and it was the first gun I ever shot. I was hitting everything I aimed at, from 100 yards away. I really enjoyed myself! My cousin has this pistol, and it is what I use when he takes me to the range.
Old February 22, 2018, 03:04 PM   #4
MomInNY

Should I get the one with 3 MOA, or 8MOA red dot?
Old February 22, 2018, 04:28 PM   #5
weblance

I think most people prefer the smaller dots, 3MOA. I do. The 8MOA is quite large, and only offers the advantage of being better for speed shooting. The 3MOA will be better for precise shooting. If your shooting cans, or clay targets at 50 yards, the 3moa will cover 1 1/2" which is about perfect for those size targets. The 8moa will cover 4" and that could be a miss at those smaller targets. Factor in the instability of offhand shooting a pistol, and an 8moa dot is easier to miss a small target with.
Old February 22, 2018, 04:34 PM   #6
MomInNY

Thanks again. : )