The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 19, 2021, 08:52 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Do gun prices seem to be going down?

I'm starting to see guns that were selling for hundreds more than what they were during normal times start to creep back down to 2019 levels. Is it just me or are others noticing prices on guns normalize?
Old September 20, 2021, 02:24 AM   #2
Carl the Floor Walker

Interesting, perhaps gun sales are keeping in line with Biden's "Steady" decline in poll numbers.
Old September 20, 2021, 06:06 AM   #3
eflyguy

I purchased two "popular" firearms from two different local brick-and-mortar establishments in the past year at way less than "MSRP".

I know and accept many seem willing to pay inflated prices, and many places are willing to charge them.

I'll just keep doing business with the ones that don't gouge their customers - and doing a little calling around before I buy.
Old September 20, 2021, 06:59 AM   #4
Geezerbiker

I've been following the price of AR parts and most of them have gone down. Many barrels are still out of stock and most of the better quality ones are hard to find.

Tony
Old September 20, 2021, 08:02 AM   #5
gaseousclay

It ebbs and flows. Winchester 94's are still selling for higher than usual prices, but that's because it's still very hard to find the Miroku 94's and the older variants are becoming more scarce imo.

With that said, a week or so ago Brownells had a decent sale on the Geissele Super Duty rifle, so some firearms are seeing price fluctuations. The big box retailers, or at least some of them, have managed to keep the prices at suggest msrp or slightly below. Places like Scheels has had competitive pricing on firearms
Old September 20, 2021, 10:52 AM   #6
Logs

Guns don't seem to be selling as fast as they were. The shops I check in with keep running sales, but they still have the inventory. Ammo is still very limited. I was in a Walmart Saturday that had Fusion 30-30 ammo and they now only allow one box of anything per person. I was also wanting a few boxes of Steel loads, but was happy to get the 30-30. This Walmart had about a dozen long guns in stock.
Old September 21, 2021, 09:28 PM   #7
sfwusc

Yes. Firearms seem to be coming down. Ammo is still pricey but not what it was in panic times. Primers and powder are still Mia other than flashes in the pan.
Old September 22, 2021, 10:44 PM   #8
Metal god

Yep , not only that . There are guns available to buy . Went to a LGS a year ago and maybe there was 15 total guns to buy . Last week went to same store and there were at least 50 maybe 75 to pick from . None at "good" prices but a few at almost tolerable prices . Example I bought my PX4 Storm about 6 months before covid for $419 on sale ( in CA that's a good deal they averaged around $500-ish at the time ) They are $599 right now and available . So not a good price here but "almost" buyable .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 23, 2021, 09:40 AM   #9
reddog81

Gun prices are definitely returning to a more normal level. I saw a LGS with a used Springfield Hellcat for $399 the other day. I was shocked. I looked online and the new ones can now be had for about $100 under MSRP. Not too long ago a used one would be close to new MSRP.

I visited my local Scheels last weekend and the shelves were about 90% full and a couple guns even had sale tags on them. Back in February the shelves were about 10% full. Supply is catching up. I have a feeling there will be some reasonable black Friday sales again this year.
Old September 23, 2021, 11:18 AM   #10
Porsche911

The gun stores around here are at 50% of normal inventories (new and used).

I'd say demand is still strong just not as strong as a year ago.
Old September 25, 2021, 05:43 AM   #11
bamaranger

trip

Just completed a vacation trip (2500 mi) through various states, stopped in multiple stores selling ammo and firearms in MI, PA, VA and TN. I was left with the distinct impression that firearm prices were still high. However, there seemed to be a wide variety of firearms available.

Nobody had primers except one shop in TN that had 3000 at & 75.00 per 1000. I bought a couple of 100 ct boxes of sporting/hunting bullets and a 1lb can of powder, and my impression was that some components were available.