The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2021, 05:00 AM   #1
Alan0354

10mm vs .40 rounds

I am thinking about buying a semi that shoots either 10mm or .40 round. I want to know more about those rounds

1) Which is more popular?
2) Which is more expensive?
3) Which one is easier to buy during this time?
4) I know everyone has different opinion, which guns is the best in these two calibers? I live in Kalifornia.

Thanks

Last edited by Alan0354; February 20, 2021 at 05:13 AM.
Old February 20, 2021, 05:25 AM   #2
TruthTellers

1) .40, but 10mm is kind of in a resurgence the past few years.
2) 10mm
3) 10mm
4) 10mm

Used .40's were going for under 400 just over a year ago, but the nice thing about 10mm's is that, 1911's not included, they can shoot .40 without issue. The 10mm Glocks are most well known for being able to shoot .40 in them and the recoil is like a .380.

If you can pick up a Glock 20SF or 29SF, get it. I do suggest you get the Short Frames tho, the grips on the standard models can be pretty large and uncomfortable.
Old February 20, 2021, 08:00 AM   #3
JDBerg

Only the Gen3 Glocks are listed on the CA DOJ Roster which dictates what guns are available for sale to non-LEO’s. P2P deals for non-roster guns are scarce and super expensive, Glocks in general were scarce when I moved away from SoCal in December. Your best bet is probably a G-22. You can check the marketplace at calguns.net, I didn’t find much the last time I checked.
Old February 20, 2021, 08:32 AM   #4
CDW4ME

If I was stuck with a 10 round limit, 10mm options designed for 10 rounds or less (Don't know about CA availability)
Glock 29SF or a 1911 (Colt, Kimber, Ruger all offer 10mm)
Glock 29 or 1911 is easily concealed under a loose fit shirt.

In before the incorrect blanket generalization that 10mm overpenetrates, mythbusted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Q6bEMJHpY
Old February 20, 2021, 09:40 AM   #5
JustJake

Quote:
If I was stuck with a 10 round limit, 10mm options designed for 10 rounds or less (Don't know about CA availability)
Glock 29SF or a 1911 (Colt, Kimber, Ruger all offer 10mm)
Glock 29 or 1911 is easily concealed under a loose fit shirt.
Not only that, but the 10mm Glock platform allows you to use of an aftermarket "drop-in" barrel in .40S&W to shoot that round, ... and if desired, barrels are also available in .357Sig and 9x25 Dillon.

So that's ONE gun (e.g., G29, G20, or G40) that's capable of shooting FOUR different cartridges. Nothing else is needed except the spare barrels.

As far as I know, CA hasn't yet banned () the use of aftermarket barrels to do caliber swaps on particular gun-platforms, like a Glock, or an AR (that you already own) where you can swap in different uppers, like going from 5.56 ----> to 300BLK.

Last edited by JustJake; February 20, 2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old February 20, 2021, 10:52 AM   #6
jmr40

I'd say a G29 is your answer if you want 10mm. I had a G20 for years and liked it but added a G29 a few years ago and liked it so much better that the G20 never got used so I sold it.

I can use 10 round G29 magazines or the 15 round G20 mags in mine so I have the versatility of a small gun, or the capacity of the larger gun. For me there was no difference in accuracy and the 50 fps or so from the shorter barrel was never a concern.

You CAN buy extra barrels for it and shoot other cartridges but I've always shot 40 S&W in both of mine with the 10mm barrel. Accuracy and POI were the same either way as was reliability.

If I planned to shoot mostly 40 S&W through it I might have gotten another barrel. But before things got crazy I was able to find 10mm ammo just as easily as 40 S&W and at the same price. I saw no advantage to shooting 40's, but it was nice to know I could.

If you don't need the extra power of 10mm there are a lot of good 40 options including a G23. The G23 is a tad thinner than the G29, but length and height are pretty much the same.

Some of the hotter 40 loads are pretty good. Buffalo Bore and DoubleTap offer some 200 gr loads at about 1100 fps from the 40 S&W. Of course the same load is 1300 fps from 10mm. Other than those specialty loads there is a lot of overlap between 40 and 10mm in most commercial loads. And unless you want it for large predator protection 40 S&W is more than adequate. Probably adequate for large predator protection.

Winston Churchill
Old February 20, 2021, 11:04 AM   #7
RickB

Quote:
1) .40, but 10mm is kind of in a resurgence the past few years.
2) 10mm
3) 10mm
4) 10mm
That's about right.
.40 will be a very popular round, for a very long time, but it has dropped off the last few years, at the same time 10 has risen, but I'll bet there are ten times as many .40s in circulation.
Old February 20, 2021, 11:08 AM   #8
HighValleyRanch

Last time I was at the local rural hardware store that still sells ammo, 10mm was still on the shelf, but all the other major calibers were gone long time ago.

But during normal times, .40 will be easier to find in CA.
Old February 20, 2021, 12:19 PM   #9
wild cat mccane

Almost all major factory made 10mm is loaded at exactly 40 FPS.
Old February 20, 2021, 12:41 PM   #10
rc

10 requires a larger gun and is typically loaded about like 40 or maybe 100fps more in most factory ammo. 10 ammo can be had that is much hotter but that's not typical range ammo. As a handloaders cartridge the 10mm offers a lot more performance. Availability of 10mm ammo is greater than 40 now because it's been less popular. Long term the 40 is the better choice for a novice.

A 10mm 1911 is a better choice than a 40 because it is designed to have a 45ACP length and 40 is designed to have 9mm length overall to fit in existing gun models so 10 isn't an option in a browning hi power or small framed EAA..

In guns with shorter mag wells, the 40 is the only option. A 40 can still offer blazing speeds when loaded with 135 and 155 grain bullets but due to powder capacity can't push a 180 much past factory speeds. In a 10mm you can push the 180s to 1300ish fps and if you want to shoot 200s, the 10mm is the only option and can get you to around 1200fps.

Both are good cartridges but which is better for you depends on what you are looking for in terms of performance and which model gun you desire.
Old February 20, 2021, 01:04 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Some people found the 10mm too powerful to handle. S&W engineers came out with the 40 S&W as a compromise. Bigger than a nine, less power than a ten. It swept among law enforcement over existing calibres.

See the first post though for answers to your question. As to which is more available, I dunno. I don't see anything on the shelves anymore; but then again, I haven't looked in months.
Old February 20, 2021, 01:09 PM   #12
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I am thinking about buying a semi that shoots either 10mm or .40 round. I want to know more about those rounds

4) I know everyone has different opinion, which guns is the best in these two calibers? I live in Kalifornia.

Thanks
1) .40
2) 10mm
3) not sure
4) personal preference

Ok, My personal opinion. Was issued a G22, full sized 40 for about 5 years with my agency. Never got to shoot or handle a 10mm. I don't like 40. I prefer a 9mm or 45acp. To me 40 had more snap. The recoil was more abrupt and the muzzle rose more. Now with that being said, it is FAR from difficult to control, I just personally am not a fan and will choose something else.

As for 10mm. I think it is a very cool cartridge and I really need to find a way to shoot one. I am anticipating recoil in the 357-44mag range. There are several problems I see with 10mm. Most factory loads (underwood not included) are watered down because recoil can be stout. The ammo is generally more expensive than 40 and on par with 45 from what I have seen. and lastly the frame is wider. I have large hands so its would not be a huge issue for me, but it is a larger frame size.

Other Pros for 10mm. You can get drop in barrels for .40, .357sig, and 9x25dillon (10mm necked down to 9mm, the big brother to the 357 sig which is a 40 necked down to 9mm)

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 20, 2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old February 20, 2021, 01:12 PM   #13
rc

I think how a gun handles depends more on the gun design than cartridge. Light frame glocks are going to be more snappy than all steel CZ or EAA platforms. A 5 inch 1911 in 45 is less snappy than a 4.25 inch commander in 45.
Old February 20, 2021, 02:05 PM   #14
Sanch

4V50 Gary,

Quote:
Some people found the 10mm too powerful to handle. S&W engineers came out with the 40 S&W as a compromise. Bigger than a nine, less power than a ten. It swept among law enforcement over existing calibres.
This has to be the biggest and most often repeated myth on gun forums.

I will guarantee you that the .40 S&W was not a compromise round.

For law enforcement use, the 10MM produced diminishing returns. Its added velocity did absolutely nothing to increase law enforcement efficacy.

The .40 S&W is going nowhere. The 10MM is losing market share.

I'd much rather have a 1911-A1 with 230 grain Fed HST LE .45 ACP +P ammo than any 10MM for any application to include mean critter defense to include griz.

The 10MM requiem was officiated by Colonel Jeff Cooper. He was the father of factory production 10MM handguns. Within a few years, he returned to a 1911-A1 .45 ACP.
Old February 20, 2021, 02:13 PM   #15
shurshot

"This has to be the biggest and most often repeated myth on gun forums."(Sanch), in response to; ("Some people found the 10mm too powerful to handle. S&W engineers came out with the 40 S&W as a compromise. Bigger than a nine, less power than a ten. It swept among law enforcement over existing calibres".)

?? Your opinion, or fact Sanch?

4V50 Gary, is correct.
FBI and other LEO agencies have this procedure they call "Yearly qualifications", and when an equal opportunity abiding State or Federal agency has officers with small hands... who cannot handle the recoil of a certain caliber / weapon, be it the 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 Magnum, etc., they adopt a smaller caliber. Most agency's currently issue 9mm's and have seen improved qualification scores. That's not opinion or internet myth, but fact.

Last edited by shurshot; February 20, 2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old February 20, 2021, 06:42 PM   #16
Ruger45LC

The reason for the .40 was not that they couldn't handle the recoil of the 10mm, the guns in 10mm were simply large and cumbersome and the .40 was an option to give the same ballistics but in a 9mm sized gun. To this day, that's one of the better selling points of the .40 over the 10mm, smaller guns.
Old February 20, 2021, 06:46 PM   #17
Ruger45LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm
As for 10mm. I think it is a very cool cartridge and I really need to find a way to shoot one. I am anticipating recoil in the 357-44mag range. There are several problems I see with 10mm. Most factory loads (underwood not included) are watered down because recoil can be stout. The ammo is generally more expensive than 40 and on par with 45 from what I have seen. and lastly the frame is wider. I have large hands so its would not be a huge issue for me, but it is a larger frame size.
Recoil in 10mm isn't bad at all, frankly to me it feels about the same as the .40, maybe a little less at times because the guns are usually larger which tames it a bit. Maybe similar to a 357 but less than a 44 for sure.
Old February 20, 2021, 07:24 PM   #18
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanch
4V50 Gary,

Quote:
This has to be the biggest and most often repeated myth on gun forums.

I will guarantee you that the .40 S&W was not a compromise round.

For law enforcement use, the 10MM produced diminishing returns. Its added velocity did absolutely nothing to increase law enforcement efficacy.

The .40 S&W is going nowhere. The 10MM is losing market share.

I'd much rather have a 1911-A1 with 230 grain Fed HST LE .45 ACP +P ammo than any 10MM for any application to include mean critter defense to include griz.

The 10MM requiem was officiated by Colonel Jeff Cooper. He was the father of factory production 10MM handguns. Within a few years, he returned to a 1911-A1 .45 ACP.
Paul Evancoe's article, and many others, supports 4V50 Gary's assertion...

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=3519

Alan0354, my opinion pretty much lines up with TruthTeller's, with the exception of the Glocks. I don't disagree with that opinion. I just don't have enough experience with Glocks to honestly give you an assessment.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 20, 2021, 07:47 PM   #19
Marco Califo

Longshot powder seems to be optimized for 40 S&W and 10mm. The difference between the two with 180 grain bullets is between 100 and 200 fps. The 40 S&W has proven itself and gained most LEO market share.
Regarding Glocks, I have a G23 that is an excellent service pistol. I bought a G30 compact 45 ACP. The G29 10mm barrel from Glock will fit the G30 (Glock does not recommend this as fitment is not 100%), and people do that conversion. I bought the 10mm barrell and set of 10mm magazines. Have not shot them yet. The G23 is smaller and less thick to hold. I think the G23 is a better service sidearm, and can be concealed nearly as easily as my G26 with Pierce magazine extension.
Old February 20, 2021, 08:44 PM   #20
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
"This has to be the biggest and most often repeated myth on gun forums."(Sanch), in response to; ("Some people found the 10mm too powerful to handle. S&W engineers came out with the 40 S&W as a compromise. Bigger than a nine, less power than a ten. It swept among law enforcement over existing calibres".)

?? Your opinion, or fact Sanch?

4V50 Gary, is correct.
FBI and other LEO agencies have this procedure they call "Yearly qualifications", and when an equal opportunity abiding State or Federal agency has officers with small hands... who cannot handle the recoil of a certain caliber / weapon, be it the 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 Magnum, etc., they adopt a smaller caliber. Most agency's currently issue 9mm's and have seen improved qualification scores. That's not opinion or internet myth, but fact.
When you only shoot once per year to qualify, yeah, your not going to be used to stout recoil, its gonna be hard to qualify.... some even fail to qualify using 9mm under these circumstances.... I have personally witnessed it. Last in-service we were given 4 opportunities to qualify, and had to pass at least 2 of them. Of the 10 or so Deputies at the range, at least 3 that I know of failed to qualify, I think It was 4, but I cant say for sure. That is with G17s, at a max of 15yds....

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 20, 2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old February 20, 2021, 09:09 PM   #21
Nanuk

Buy a 10mm and you can shoot 40's in it.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 20, 2021, 09:14 PM   #22
dogtown tom

Quote:
Sanch.... The 10MM is losing market share.
Not around here. And I'm pretty sure not anywhere else in the US either. The number of 10mm pistols I transfer is up ten fold from 2009.

Where did you get this idea?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 20, 2021, 10:44 PM   #23
Ruger45LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo
Longshot powder seems to be optimized for 40 S&W and 10mm. The difference between the two with 180 grain bullets is between 100 and 200 fps. The 40 S&W has proven itself and gained most LEO market share.
Regarding Glocks, I have a G23 that is an excellent service pistol. I bought a G30 compact 45 ACP. The G29 10mm barrel from Glock will fit the G30 (Glock does not recommend this as fitment is not 100%), and people do that conversion. I bought the 10mm barrell and set of 10mm magazines. Have not shot them yet. The G23 is smaller and less thick to hold. I think the G23 is a better service sidearm, and can be concealed nearly as easily as my G26 with Pierce magazine extension.
You're right about Longshot being nearly perfect for both .40 and 10mm, I've used it quite a bit each. For what it's worth, I've ran warmer .40 and 10mm handloads through both the G23 and G29 and in all honesty there's maybe a 75fps difference between them, got around 1225 in a G23 and nearly 1300 fps (180gr ea.). The 10mm is cool no doubt but it's not really way better than the .40, and depending on how one defines "better", maybe it's worse.
Old February 20, 2021, 11:53 PM   #24
Forte S+W

.40 S&W

10mm Auto

Depends on where you live and what's trendy there.

Depends on what role you have in mind. For general purposes, .40 S&W is better. For special purposes, such as wilderness defense, 10mm Auto has the edge.

As my username suggests, I'm a fan of .40 S&W. In my honest opinion, 10mm Auto is overrated. It's expensive, most factory loaded ammo is loaded to FBI Specs, (meaning it's literally just .40 S&W in a longer case) it's "awesome power" is only marginally higher than .357 Magnum, (the only .41 Magnum loads it approaches are the watered down loads in Remington's reloading manual) and for a cartridge which is supposedly making a comeback, nobody is making any new firearms chambered specifically for it, leaving you with an amount of options which can literally be counted on both hands.
So ultimately, it's a special purpose cartridge with a cult following of diehard fans.

As near as I can figure, reports of its comeback have been greatly exaggerated, and in my honest opinion were nothing more than a poorly executed attempt at viral marketing by diehard fans within the industry of firearms journalism who attempted to use the declining popularity of .40 S&W as a springboard to promote the 10mm Auto which wasn't really successful at all. Fans will angrily disagree, but the fact of the matter is that nobody is actually making any new firearms designed specifically for the cartridge, just half-hearted rechamberings of .45 ACP pistols which have been around for many years.

If you like 10mm Auto and want a 10mm Pistol, then by all means scratch that itch by getting one, but don't buy into all the hype and rush out to buy a 10mm Auto based on unsubstantiated reports of a comeback which has supposedly been happening since 2016 yet hasn't really gone anywhere unless you count a handful of companies offering a 1911 chambered in 10mm, Glock making a new variation of the Glock 20, or Springfield Armory rechambering the XD45 for 10mm.
Old February 21, 2021, 06:44 AM   #25
shurshot

"That is with G17s, at a max of 15yds...."(Shadow9mm)

15 yard qualification? Most LEO's qualify at 20 to 25 yards. Max range is 20 to 25 anyhow. Many of the shots are closer, 3, 7 or 15 yards, but extend out to 25. At 15 yards, a slingshot would work.
Closed Thread