The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 5, 2020, 03:52 PM   #26
jmr40

When I hear that phrase I consider it hyperbole, never to be taken literally. We use phrases like that in our normal everyday conversation all the time and no one gets uptight about it.

I may refer to one of my grandkids as "sharp as a tack". Or "fast as lightning". No, they aren't literally as fast as lightning, but people get the idea.

If someone were to say "Sub MOA, all day long" I take it to mean they have a very accurate rifle. No more, no less.

Winston Churchill
Old April 5, 2020, 03:58 PM   #27
Sharkbite

“All day long”....

Rapid fire or time to cool? Cleaned at any point? Round count for the day? 24 hour day or just a cpl hours of range time? Different shooters or the same guy getting flinchy after the first couple dozen shots?
Old April 5, 2020, 04:37 PM   #28
MarkCO

It no longer means anything because people use it as hyperbole, or to make themselves feel good about lying on the internet.

In another forum, some guy claimed he was putting 9 pellets of 00 buck into 9" at 50 yards with every shot. No, he was not, but the internet is rarely about facts anymore. To some degree, TFL is better than the internet in general, so IMHO, a valid discussion to at least get people to think about being accurate.
Old April 5, 2020, 10:37 PM   #29
Colorado Redneck

Target shooting has its purpose but seldom do I go to the rifle range and hammer away through 50 rounds. Never, in fact. A couple of 204 Ruger rifles I had would shoot 5 rounds into itty bitty groups. After a load is worked up and tried at 300 yards from the bench, its used for prairie rats . Infinitely more enjoyable to me. As age keeps limiting various things like stamina and dedication and eyesight and concentration the size of groups has sorta loosened up. But, nothing like a June day with blue skies, green grasslands, sunshine and guns. I envy those that can buckle down and concentrate on performing good shooting techniques for a sustained period of time.
Old April 6, 2020, 07:34 AM   #30
DMK

I'm just happy when I can get better than 3 MOA all day long. That's me, not the guns. If you ever see me posting an MOA group, it was a fluke.

So many things to practice, not enough time for the range.
Old April 7, 2020, 12:28 PM   #31
HJ857

I really don't think I could do it for 24 hours straight...
Old April 7, 2020, 07:11 PM   #32
laytonj1

But... all day long implies daylight hours. Otherwise it would be all day and night long.

It appears a bunch of you folks are stuck at home with nothing to do.

Jim
Old April 7, 2020, 08:19 PM   #33
OneFreeTexan

Jim,,,,That is probably the greatest comment I have ever seen on the internet.
Old April 7, 2020, 08:33 PM   #34
Scorch

I have built many rifles that would put 20-30 (maybe more) rounds into a 1" square on a sight-in target at 100 yds. But your typical rifle? Not often. 5-10 shots maybe, but fouling and heat take a toll pretty fast with factory barrels. But aftermarket premium barrels can shoot pretty darn well for extended shot strings if they are properly stress-relieved and have a good smooth bore. Varmint and target shooters routinely shoot lots of rounds without cleaning with little degrading of accuracy.

And yes, the shooters often start shooting inconsistently faster than the gun does.
Old April 8, 2020, 12:17 AM   #35
HJ857

Does it matter if it's daylight savings time?
Old April 9, 2020, 10:51 AM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
Does it matter if it's daylight savings time?
Good question. Also what the moon cycle is or leap year?

Where I shoot it is almost always windy so if I wait around enough for things to get just right--and I'm up to it--I will eventually find a load that is capable of sub MOA at 100yds for most of my rifles. But I view that as "when things are just right at an ideal distance," and that's a far cry from "all day long"--a term I've never used. I'd love to see a video of someone actually shoot sub-MOA all day long.
Old April 9, 2020, 02:50 PM   #37
Grizzly2

Fun read. Back in the 60's Dad spent alot of time with a Rem 40x in .222 with a Unertl scope. He also spent alot of time shooting wood chucks back then. One day he came home all excited. He'd put 5 rounds at 100 yards into a hole the size of a cigarette. He sent his target off to Sierra to be measured and they told him that if done in competition it would have been some sort of record. It was very accurate for him. I was a teenager at the time without his dedication and I shot 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" inch groups with it.

Today I have a Colt Competition AR-15 that was sold with a 100 yard 5 shot .383" target down a tunnel. Nice to have but so far I've not taken the time to get the most out of it. If I do get the time, I'd love to see what I can wring out of that rifle. If not, I'll pass it on to someone else to try.

Grandpa scan 5.jpg
Old April 9, 2020, 03:02 PM   #38
Grizzly2

I've not gone through many accurate rifles but I did once have a TC 14" Contender in 7mm TCU that was given a nice trigger job and a 4x scope mounted professionally. With it at 100 yards it would shoot many a cloverleaf even while fire forming brass. At 200 I kept one target that went 1 5/8". I had all the confidence in the world in that set up and shot a nice score with it at the Masters Pistol tournament back in 1978. It certainly would shoot sub moa for me and I've considered it the most accurate firearm I've worked with so far. All day long? yea, right.
Old April 10, 2020, 11:32 AM   #39
HJ857

I'm reminded of a self help website from years ago called "I CAN see humor on the internet all day long - and so can YOU!"

It was just $19.99 for a subscription and came with a bonus DVD. Highly recommended.
Old April 12, 2020, 07:49 PM   #40
thallub

On a good day i can shoot several five shot sub one inch groups at 125 yards. But my "good days" are becoming increasingly infrequent. The same could happen to you at age 81.
Old April 12, 2020, 07:54 PM   #41
stagpanther

Quote:
The same could happen to you at age 81.
My hat is off to you sir.
Old April 14, 2020, 08:53 AM   #42
Road_Clam

"sub moa all day long" is just an inexperienced brag claim. When i read this claim, I just roll my eyes an move along to the next " i shot this cloverleaf group at 100 yds" claim. Let me observe you shoot sub moa all day long at 600 yds like the Palma guys actually do, and now you have my admiration.
Old September 20, 2021, 10:18 AM   #43
Bart B.

The NRA smallbore 50 yard prone with scope record is 205 shots in one MOA. Each bullet touched the .391 inch X ring.

Palma matches are shot at 8, 9, and 10 hundred yards using metallic sights and one feels good if they shoot inside 2 MOA.

Search the 'net for bench rest match results and note most competitors shoot sub MOA all the time.

Last edited by Bart B.; September 20, 2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old September 20, 2021, 11:08 AM   #44
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I've heard and read this quote a thousand times over decades--my question is has such a rifle ever truly existed? Seems impossible to me.
<< has such a rifle ever truly existed? >>

LOL, not in my hands, I am accuracy handicapped.
Old September 20, 2021, 02:02 PM   #45
44 AMP
Staff

I take the phrase "all day long" to mean one can do it on demand, anytime during the day, not that one can do it for 8hrs straight (or 24 if you're on that clock).
Old September 20, 2021, 02:19 PM   #46
Jim Watson

I guess you could reasonably expect a real benchrest rifle having demonstrated in the "teens" to shoot under a MOA all the time.
Old September 20, 2021, 06:54 PM   #47
BornFighting88

Like a welder looks up Welding filth (not immune), this is shooters filth. Those tight groups and the hits on golf balls. Can’t get myself to leave the page.
Old September 21, 2021, 08:01 PM   #48
Road_Clam

NONE of my precision rifles are sub MOA "all day long". Why not ? Because I always have days where i litterally have documented sending 4 shots totalling .27 MOA at 200 meters, and come back a month later with the exact same load per my data and could barely hold 1.5 MOA at the same 200 meters. It's the fine variables decision making that i'm simply not fully mastered yet. (probably never will either). Hopefully as I move closer to retirement I will have better time opportunities to further persue correcting my shooting deficiencies.
Old September 22, 2021, 12:35 PM   #49
thallub

Quote:
It no longer means anything because people use it as hyperbole, or to make themselves feel good about lying on the internet.
The worst liars are on muzzleloader boards. On one muzzleloader board nearly everyone except myself routinely makes a "ragged hole" at 100 yards, some do it offhand.
Old September 22, 2021, 01:25 PM   #50
Bart B.

Berger, Sierra and Lapua match bullets all test under half MOA through 200 yards.

Sierra used to sell their most accurate 30 caliber match bullets in 1000 per box. They still had the sizing lube on them: they tested under one fourth MOA.

The smallbore 50 yard prone record is 205 shots under half an inch shot in one match.

A national highpower champion testing Lapua bullets shot several dozen inside 2 inches at 600 yards with his Winchester 70 based rifle.

Last edited by Bart B.; September 22, 2021 at 01:54 PM.