The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 21, 2021, 10:00 AM   #1
zukiphile

Attaching rail to a free float tube

I am asking here because I am not handy, and if I am thinking about this incorrectly someone here might warn me off.

I have a rifle with a simple aluminum free float tube. No picatinny, no holes. I like it, but want to add, a QD sling swivel cup and small piece of rail for a bipod. My plan involves taping and marking the tube for little holes through which a bolt can be inserted with a nut on the other side.

My question: What should I use on the flat back of a QD cup or picatinny rail to allow it to sit solidly on a two inch tube?

Should I just stuff some JB weld under them? If I can find someone to drop some lead solder on the side not touching the tube, is that any better?

What would you use?
Old June 21, 2021, 10:45 AM   #2
10-96

This may just be goofy enough to work, but for no more rail space than what you're looking for, I would look at a Savage Weaver style 2-peice scope base set. The Savage receiver is round, and the bases will be contoured on the bottom.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 21, 2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Nathan

I wonder if you could find one of these in the wild?

LINK

Actually, this looks ready to go....LINK
Old June 21, 2021, 11:07 AM   #4
10-96

Also, I did a search on Amarzon for "Picatinny Rail Curved Base" I came up with a few results.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 21, 2021, 12:15 PM   #5
zukiphile

Using two piece rifle ring mounts is very clever.

The Hogue ring turned up in my research. It's neat and reversible, and had me thinking that a big hose clamp might work for the few times I'd want to use a bipod. The Atlas piece is as nice as all their offerings, and seems priced like an Atlas item.

All this still leaves me with the same problem for the QD cup. I've a bag of Uncle Mikes QD Swivel Cups from Brownells. https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...prod40266.aspx I've used them on MLok handguards before, but MLok is a flat surface. I'm imagining that pulling on the cup orthogonally would stress the little bolt holding it on.

I remember using wood putty on something years ago. I recall it being very hard once it dried.