The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 13, 2002, 12:49 AM   #1
striker3

Any Active Duty Miltary that own NFA?

I was just wondering if their were any AD out there that own NFA, what would you do if you got transferred to a state that does not allow NFA? Is there any provision that would allow you to take them with you or must you sell or store them? Is this not a real possibility? Also one other question, could I register and store a NFA weapon at my home of record while I am stationed somewhere else?
I am asking because I am AD USMC and would like to start an NFA collection, but I've still got 17 more years before I can retire.
Old August 13, 2002, 02:45 AM   #2
Hkmp5sd

I was stationed aboard a submarine, so possession was not a problem. While I didn't know of anyone having an NFA at the time, we could store our personal firearms in the small arms locker of the ship and take them out when we wanted to shoot.

It will most likely be up to your command whether or not to allow storage of the weapons at your duty station. BTW, you must get prior approval from ATF on SOME NFA weapons before taking them across state lines. Kinda a weird law. Machineguns require permission, but suppressors do not.

If you own NFA weapons and can not carry them with you to your duty station, you may place them in storage with a friend or relative at a location the weapon is legal. It must be secured in a case/safe that only you have the key to. No one at the residence can be able to access the firearm while you're gone. You then write to the ATF and inform them of the location where your weapons are being stored. It's also a good idea to leave a copy of your forms with whoever owns the house, in case something happens (ie theft, fire, etc.).

NRA Life Member
Old August 13, 2002, 08:32 AM   #3
MrPink

HKMP5SD,

ALL NFA DD, MG, SBS and SBRs transported out of the home state require prior approval on a form 5320.20 (refer to instructions on the back side of the form).

This does not apply to suppressors.

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"
Old August 13, 2002, 05:55 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

psp,

Yep. Also does not apply to AOW's, hence "...prior approval from ATF on SOME NFA weapons..."

NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2002, 11:53 AM   #5
MrPink

AOWs, oops, yes forgot about my pengun!

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"