The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 11, 2021, 04:52 PM   #26
ThomasT

I am impressed with your work. I like the Forest green style of camo pattern myself with bigger splotches. I need to find a beater gun to try this on. J bet if you did a YT video on your paint method you would have thousands of viewers watching.
Old November 11, 2021, 06:39 PM   #27
Ricklin

The best paint I have encountered for durability.

Polyurethane paint, the two part type that requires adding a catalyst. Sherwin-Williams if memory serves.

I have seen posted opinion online that the gun paints sold are just that, Polyurethane paint.
My advice would be spray outdoors, it's nasty stuff. We provided full hood remote air systems for the guys spraying it, it can and will kill ya.

Darn close to powder coating for durability, best paint I've ever worked with for providing a really hard durable finish that stands the test of time.

One of the big reasons for powder coating is no solvents flashing off. That is air pollution and is regulated.
Old November 14, 2021, 08:43 PM   #28
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
The best paint I have encountered for durability.

Polyurethane paint, the two part type that requires adding a catalyst. Sherwin-Williams if memory serves.

I have seen posted opinion online that the gun paints sold are just that, Polyurethane paint.
My advice would be spray outdoors, it's nasty stuff. We provided full hood remote air systems for the guys spraying it, it can and will kill ya.

Darn close to powder coating for durability, best paint I've ever worked with for providing a really hard durable finish that stands the test of time.

One of the big reasons for powder coating is no solvents flashing off. That is air pollution and is regulated.
Thanks for the tip. If this paint job wears too much I will just add a little here and there or strip it and spray again.

I tried this a second time earlier this week. Went for more of a desert pattern. Turned out alright. I used a textured outdoor paint as the base layer this time to add more grip.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old November 14, 2021, 08:45 PM   #29
kilotanker22

Here are a few photos of the second attempt.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old November 14, 2021, 08:46 PM   #30
kilotanker22

And two more
– St. Augustine
Old November 16, 2021, 08:57 AM   #31
stagpanther

Anything I paint is meant for field service--ergo I know it's going to bashed around. It doesn't matter how good the paint is--when crawling around in dense woods and rocks it's going to get nicked and dented. Outside of professional cerrokote treatment, I find Brownell's Aluma Hyde 2 is more than adequate for my paint jobs, especially when baked on at 200 degrees for 3.5 hours, which I think is a step above the polyurathane options (I've done lots of those too).
Old November 16, 2021, 02:46 PM   #32
kilotanker22

Mine will get beat up as well. This time of year I only shoot from a bench, but these rifles will be taken into the field eventually. The 6.5 Creedmoor is gonna be a primary hunting rifle for me. The 300 will be in the woods to some extent. The only place I have to shoot past 800 yards local to me, requires that I setup in the prone back in the woods a little ways and shoot across a field. Plus, painted rifles with scuffs, dings, and dents have character.
– St. Augustine
Old November 16, 2021, 03:35 PM   #33
stagpanther

There is such a thing as too good a cammo job--more than once I've put my rifle down in the woods and then had a hard time finding it.
Old November 16, 2021, 05:36 PM   #34
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
There is such a thing as too good a cammo job--more than once I've put my rifle down in the woods and then had a hard time finding it.
Haha, luckily, this has never happened to me
– St. Augustine
Old November 16, 2021, 06:06 PM   #35
Gas Bag

It looks great.