The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2011, 02:48 PM   #101
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I would suggest shooting cast from the 308. The 300 win mag is a huge case and could pose some problems getting lower charge weights of powders to burn consistently. It may require dacron filler and IMHO that is just a pain in the butt.

PLUS, as you already know, cast rifle bullets are GENERALLY shot at lower velocities than jacketed. I would wager to bet you are looking for something around the 2000-2200 FPS range?

Find out what your bore slugs at and then let me know. Unfortunately it will probably slug at .308, and I don't have a .309 sizer die. BUT, I do have a .308 and .314. .308 would probably work just fine in a .308 bore. Let me know!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old November 27, 2011, 04:08 PM   #102
grubbylabs

I will see what I can do about slugging the bores. My Lyman book as loads for the 300 win so I thought I would give it a try.

The only soft lead I have is 54 cal so I will have to see what I can do to get something down that small.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old April 11, 2012, 02:45 PM   #103
Rangefinder

Quote:
So what do you guys think. Maybe call it the bullet swap section? Make it kinda like a PIF section?
WOW, I've been slacking a bit--didn't even catch this until now!

Yes, I'm all for it. I'm gonna have to go back and update my mold selection one of these days.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:58 AM   #104
Mike / Tx

Getting the ball rolling again???

Well this has more or less just been sitting here with little to no activity. Right now, I know I have seen several of us who are pouring up some decent HP's from various newer molds and designs.

It was proposed in the last post that this might be sort of a "Pay it Forward" or "Bullet Swap" type thread. So what say you folks, would any of you guys be willing to do a little swapping around, here or there?

I know there are several who are looking at the newer MP molds but either cannot or really don't want to drop the hammer on them due to price.

I have several MP molds in different calibers and designs ranging from 357 through 452.

I also have an assortment of Lee RFN molds in 357, 41, 44, and 452, with some being GC types as well.

I don't have the lube sizer, or any amount of GC's that I could dispose of, but don't mind swapping out some alloy for some bullets here or there.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:46 PM   #105
m&p45acp10+1

I do not have hollow points. I do have some Hollow Base .459 Round Nose Flat Points for .45-70 Gov't. They will also work for reduced loads in .450 Marlin, .458 Win Mag, and .458 Wby. Mag. They are standard lube grove type. Would be sent unlubed (or I will lube them with LLA which is how I use them.). They drop at about .460 They feed, and shoot great in my Marlin 1895.

I have some others as well.

All are Lee molds.

.41 Mag 210 grain Tumble Lube SWC I will

.358 Tuble Lube 158 Grain SWC

.452 Semi Wad Cutter non tuble lube standard type lube groove

All would be as cast. I do not have lubrisizer as of yet. I use Lee Liquid Allox on all of my cast bullets.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:42 AM   #106
snuffy

Lete "get er done!"

Mike, I think this is a great idea. Kind of a "pay it forward".

I don't sell cast boolits. Or ammo loaded with them. I sometimes trade something for them, but most times I just give them away.

I have 4 of Miha's excellent brass molds. 3 of them make hollowpoint boolits, the 4th makes a close copy of the H&G 45 #68 200 SWC.

1 is a 45 ACP 200 rn-hp., with 2 of the HP's round and penta point.

2 is a 44 mag 240gr. plain base [Lyman 640 nose profile] with all three HP designs, small hp, large hp and the penta point hp.

3 is the H&G #68 200 SWC design. This boolit is NOT a HP, but CAN BE very accurate.

4 is the monster "grand canyon" 700 grain gas check for the 500 S&W magnum. It's also available with 3 HP designs, they vary lighter than 700 grains when cast in HP. The pins can be turned around to cast a solid boolit that does indeed weigh 700 grains.

I also have multiple molds for 45 acp. 9mm, 357 mag, 30 cal rifle, 8mm mauser, light boolits in 30 cal. handgun. And 2 .22 cal rifle. One in 7mm too. As well as many round ball molds, 2 lee key drive slug molds, several 45 cal rifle molds, and some I've probably forgot to mention.

I would certainly be able to send anybody some of these, enough to load some in a load work-up, then enough as well for a full box. 100 boolits should do that for most applications.

I would only expect re-payment for the shipping to your address. If you would feel lead to trade something or reimburse for my time, that's up to you.

This is busy time around here. Spring is planting/garden time. I'm also basically lazy! But being retired, time is abundant. I also may already have some boolits already cast and ready to load. I could slip a box in a flat rate shipper, get it in the mail. What I'm saying is; don't expect them overnight.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 13, 2013, 07:03 PM   #107
millerwb

Snuffy, PM sent.
Old June 13, 2013, 07:45 PM   #108
armsmaster270

I'll play, sighn me up please.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:29 PM   #109
snuffy

Quote:
Snuffy, PM sent.
Did you get them?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 28, 2013, 05:15 PM   #110
Old 454

As a new caster these would come in handy, please sihn me up also

Thank you for the oppertunity!
Old June 29, 2013, 07:47 AM   #111
Mike / Tx

As mentioned above I have several molds and am hoping to have my 4500 sizer set up and running this weekend, but also have the Lee sizers in various calibers as well.

If your interested in something particular to try out before going all in on a mold shoot me a PM as well and we'll work out the details.

I'm not selling any amount of cast or loaded bullets, but can do a swap or trade out for shipping.
Old June 30, 2013, 05:15 PM   #112
snuffy

Quote:
I'll play, sign me up please.
Quote:
As a new caster these would come in handy, please sign me up also

Thank you for the opportunity!
Okay, here's how it works. PM me or the others that have said they will send out some of their boolits for a trial run in your guns.

Here's the info I need.

1. caliber. That's the diameter of the bullet you need, and the weight you'd like to try.

2. Size you need. That's IF you have slugged your barrel, then I can say if I can size .001 - .002 bigger than your slug dimension. If you don't know what your barrel measures, then I will size to the standard for the caliber.

3. Do you need them sized at all? How about which lube you may want. I can change lubes, but it's a mess to do it with the Lyman 45's I have. Both are loaded right now with Lars red carnuba, it works great. I can also use the Recluse 45-45-10, and Lee Liquid Alox. I also have some speed green made by the bullshop.

Basically a simple request as to do I have a mold for your caliber? if I do, I may have to make some before I can send them.

I haven't counted lately, but a guess is I have over 50 molds, so there's a good chance I have what you need. The special group buy molds are VERY difficult to get. Sometimes the wait is 2 years. One I'm in on started in Nov. 2011, still not scheduled by Miha in Slovenia.

Sooooo if you want the hollow point bullets simply to try out, no problem. On the other hand, Lee makes most of the boolit molds I use. So you could try a bullet weight made by lee in your guns before getting one for yourself.

Old July 3, 2013, 10:40 AM   #113
TXGunNut

I'm in. I have quite a few moulds and if I have bullets cast up I'll be happy to send you a sample if you'll just start a thread stating that you want to try a cast bullet for XYZ cartridge in ABC bullet weight, diameter or whatever. If I don't have it hopefully someone else will. Researching a suitable bullet mould is one thing, actually getting to test drive a few bullets is quite another. My lube options are limited to LLA and SPG because they work for me, haven't seen the need for others...yet.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.