The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 2021, 02:04 PM   #26
Rob228

Quote:
Do you really think every shot fired is a rifle snapped to the shoulder ? Scopes,stocks,people all are different,there is no law of where a scope needs mounted . Take short range BR for example,some of those scopes are mounted high enough so the shooter's head does not even touch the scope, and the list goes on .
I am pretty sure he was trying to get the point of proper fit across. I typically go with the lowest rings possible and then use moleskin or a leather cheek pad to ensure that when I shoulder the rifle the scope is exactly where I want it to be in relation to my eye and face.

I would hope that the shooter's head isn't touching the scope.
Old October 28, 2021, 02:16 PM   #27
Maxwell Haus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228 View Post
I am pretty sure he was trying to get the point of proper fit across. I typically go with the lowest rings possible and then use moleskin or a leather cheek pad to ensure that when I shoulder the rifle the scope is exactly where I want it to be in relation to my eye and face.

I would hope that the shooter's head isn't touching the scope.
Let me fix that for you ,I meant head not touching stock . Nice touch of sarcasm .

I read his message much different than you , more like an "my way is the only way" . Very similar to what you just wrote . This may be hard to fathom for some but we all have our own way of determining what the right scope rings are for a given application . Look at the difference between an F-Class and Short Range BR rig. Ever try free-recoil ? No hugging the stock in that.

Last edited by Maxwell Haus; October 28, 2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old October 28, 2021, 03:12 PM   #28
HiBC

Quote:
I read his message much different than you , more like an "my way is the only way" . Very similar to what you just wrote . This may be hard to fathom for some but we all have our own way of determining what the right scope rings are for a given application . Look at the difference between an F-Class and Short Range BR rig. Ever try free-recoil ? No hugging the stock in that.
Today 03:04 PM
What if the OP wrote his question differently than you read it?I'm not knocking short range bench rest. Enjoy!

But its not the center of the universe and if the OP was asking for free recoil scope setup he might have specified.Maybe,by the time someone is into bench rest competition and free recoil shooting they don't ask ring height questions.

I assumed this Ruger is for general hunting purposes.

Sometimes a shooter has the luxury to get all settled and adjusted to a bench rest position when hunting. More often,Not.

Focusing on answering the OP, Max, I stand by being able to shoulder the rifle,eyes closed,and being able to open my eyes to full field.

Actually, if you have to wobble your head around to find the scope field,you might improve your scores wth a little scope mounting help. Good Luck,Max!!
Old October 30, 2021, 08:52 AM   #29
old roper

Here chart with rings need for Hawkeye.

http://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/refer...ring_chart.pdf
NRA Life Member