The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 9, 2016, 02:16 PM   #26
manta49

Quote:
Here we go again Mantra. This thread is not about how much safer you are in the UK with your enlightened gun laws. It is about a sworn officer using a gun when physically attacked. Your superior attitude is consistent though...
Put it in context i was replying to the post bellow, i have already posted on the original post on the the police officer, i read my post again i caint see where i said the UK was safer than America just pointing out a difference. Maybe you should read it again. PS But now that you have brought it up you are certainly less likely to get shot, fact not my opinion. That effects how the police deal with incidents like the one in the original post, i caint rembember an incident of a police officer shooting someone they were trying to restrain here, other options would be used first gas or taser.

Quote:
The number of people who have died as a result of empty hand force is minuscule in comparison to the number of people who have survived a "fist fight" without serious injury. Just speaking for myself, I am not going to consider a fist fight to be life threatening unless dire circumstances develop. That criteria is not set in stone and I will base the existence of "dire" circumstances on my life experience.

Last edited by manta49; October 9, 2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old October 9, 2016, 03:06 PM   #27
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
If they did their would be shootings every night at bar throwing out time.
If you mix carrying guns with drinking alcohol I can well imagine there would be. My personal view is don't drink and drive and don't drink and carry.
Old October 9, 2016, 05:03 PM   #28
pnac

Why do I get the impression that some of you guys never read the article? This was not a simple fist fight! How about some support for the officers that are trying to do their jobs and are catching flack from both sides?

The article is about being afraid to do what you're trained to do because of negative media coverage and crap from PC suck-up brass. She got herself badly beaten and two other officers hurt and it could have been much worse.

From the article, emphasis mine:

Quote:
On Wednesday morning, police responded to a car crash at Roosevelt and Cicero on the city's West Side where officers encountered a man that police allege was violent and under the influence of drugs.

Three officers were hospitalized in the incident. One officer who was severely beaten told Supt. Johnson she was afraid for her life and afraid to use lethal force with all of the attention on the police department's previous actions and fatal incidents.

"She thought she was going to die. She knew that she should shoot this guy, but she chose not to, because she didn't want her family or the department to have to go through the scrutiny the next day on national news," Supt. Johnson said.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old October 9, 2016, 05:43 PM   #29
Old Bill Dibble

Quote:
i caint rembember an incident of a police officer shooting someone they were trying to restrain here, other options would be used first gas or taser.
I guess you are not familiar with PCP. Typically Tasers and chemical sprays are of little use.

Quote:
But now that you have brought it up you are certainly less likely to get shot, fact not my opinion.
This is completely true. Much less chance of being shot or anything unusual happening to you at all. Consider that drug usage rates in the US are 1/3 to 1/100th of the UK this is not surprising in the least.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old October 9, 2016, 06:02 PM   #30
pax

Not seeing any Tactics or Training in this thread anymore, though it did look hopeful for a bit there. Closed as off topic.

pax
Closed Thread