The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 30, 2016, 10:36 AM   #101
Lohman446

In this situation neither. I do not blend in with the current crowd that well. I am going to try to sneak out of the crowd before it is noticed that I am out of place. I can chant a bit on my way out if need be. A non-concealable firearm would really make me stand out.

You know that thread about drug groups by the border - Engage or evade. I see engagement as the last thing I would even consider in the violent protest situation (and even then in the described situation it might prove meaningless for me) and will do everything I can to help my chances of evading.
Old September 30, 2016, 10:57 AM   #102
armedleo

Whatever your decision(s) regarding this now very real potential threat, you first must determine your own comfort zone.

Do you feel prepared to abandon your car and flee on foot?

If not, are you prepared to stand your ground?

If surrounded, will you "come out with your hands up" and play to the mercy of the mob?

While I agree there are no hard and fast rules here and we must be able to think quickly and react as best we can to get to safety or create our own zone of safety. But if I may, if you are inclined to surrender or flee on foot (as if you will outrun them!) and hope for mercy, please leave your firearm at home. Otherwise it will either be used against you or we'll just have another gun on the street to facilitate further mayhem. Just sayin'.
Old September 30, 2016, 11:06 AM   #103
Glenn E. Meyer

If we start discussing what long gun to use in the Alamo last stand - we are starting to get into kill them all fantasies.

Let's not go there.
Old September 30, 2016, 11:23 AM   #104
briandg

Your ar may wind up in the hands of rioters. Bad idea all around. my two cents.
Where would you keep it? trunk? behind the seat?
Old September 30, 2016, 11:30 AM   #105
armedleo

Haven't thought it out enough. But what made me think about rifle or shotgun was the earlier mention of a "bug out bag."

While I certainly am prepared to kill in order to save my life or the life of a loved one, please do not misinterpret my meaning. Show of force is always the desired course of action.

I would refer you to the Rodney King riots in which mayhem and looting were the order of the day and the cops were nowhere to be found - that is except for the ones who just stood by and watched the looting. But the Koreans were sure to display from the rooftops of their businesses their long guns. And not a shot was fired as the rioters turned on heel and went elsewhere. That was my reference point.
Old September 30, 2016, 11:35 AM   #106
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, we don't do bug out, SHTF threads.

I think this has run its course. Good info has been posted.

Thus - to the angry mob - closed.