The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 2, 2016, 08:23 PM   #1
DaSquariusGreen

SA/DA or Striker for learning

I am just about to get my first handgun. I did shoot a bit when I was younger, with my father, but only rifles and shotguns for target and skeet. I am looking for a pistol that I can shoot a lot, and build fundamentals/good skills that will later be transferrable to any handgun. I've heard some anecdotes each way: Simpler and more consistent/ better for beginners - Striker. More reliable/"if you master this everything else is easy"/striker habits are hard to break - SA/DA. Any consensus here?

FWIW I've tried a few different kinds of range rental, and none of them jumped out at me (of course this was not after any kind of long term use)
Old October 2, 2016, 08:30 PM   #2
TXAZ

Welcome. Keep trying guns for the grip and feel / balance first.
They're all different but often similar.
SA / DA gives you more flexibility as some see it.
But SA / DA vs striker is less important than what feels right.

Go to a range, talk to people, many will let you squeeze a few off.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 2, 2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Snyper

Try as many different types as possible and go with the one that feels right to you.

There are no practical advantages of one over the other, no matter what people will say.

With practice and time you will be able to shoot them all equally well.
Old October 2, 2016, 09:32 PM   #4
Radny97

I like the SA/DA for learning better because you can dry fire practice at home. Not so much with striker fired.
Old October 3, 2016, 07:20 AM   #5
Roland Thunder

I personally can shoot a striker fired double action gun better than a SA/DA. In fact, I sold my Sig 626 for that reason, I never could shoot it very well. I've tried other DA/SA guns with the same result.

That's just me personally, others may have different results.
Old October 3, 2016, 08:07 AM   #6
g.willikers

It seems most everyone wants to start with a conversation about "what should I buy."
They would be better off if they start with where they could learn to shoot a pistol.
Kind of like when you learned to drive a car or ride a motorcycle.
First learn how, then buy something.
The better you know how to shoot, the less the type of gun really matters.
Old October 3, 2016, 09:13 AM   #7
straightshooterjake

All firearms involve tradeoffs. Striker fired handguns and DA/SA handguns are both widely popular, and many people find one or both of these designs very favorable. But to make a recommendation for you, I would need to know more about your intended uses for the pistol. Will this gun be for range use, carry, or home defense?

Generally, I recommend striker fired guns to most people for most purposes. But the best choice for you will really depend on your specific needs.

The advice to choose a gun that fits you well is also good advice.
Old October 3, 2016, 09:26 AM   #8
K_Mac

I don't think it matters. As g.willikers said, learn how to shoot, get a little experience with both types, and then decide.

Quote:
I like the SA/DA for learning better because you can dry fire practice at home. Not so much with striker fired.
This is simply not true. I have dry fired my EDC striker fired pistol thousands of times. I think dry firing is a fine way of learning and maintaining trigger skills. Buy what you like best.
Old October 3, 2016, 07:21 PM   #9
TheGunGeek

If you start with and master a DA/SA pistol, it's easy to then transition to another platform should you choose to do so in the future. This will really teach you good trigger discipline, hence it's my recommendation.
Old October 3, 2016, 09:30 PM   #10
Darkstar888

I agree more can be gained learning a DA/SA in general. But the striker fired system is simpler to learn with its consistent trigger pull and simplicity of operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 3, 2016, 11:37 PM   #11
Radny97

K_Mac maybe I should have stated it more clearly. Striker fired dry fire practice entails racking the slide, re-attain your grip, one click, release grip, rack slide, re-grip, one click, etc. -- Not very effective practice.
SA/DA you draw and set your grip. And begin clicking away at various targets, all the while pulling through the DA trigger pull for each. WAY better dry fire practice.
So yes I suppose you can dry fire practice a striker fired gun but you won't learn as quickly and might develop some bad habits too.
DA/SA dry fire gets you much more valuable dry fire practice.
Old October 3, 2016, 11:50 PM   #12
jaytothekizzay

Try out a CZ 75... thank me later

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old October 4, 2016, 09:25 AM   #13
g.willikers

^^^
The CZ 75 and other similar models are an excellent choice.
They can be used DA/SA or SA only, cocked and locked, which gives a trigger more like a striker.
Kind of the best of both in one gun.
They also have an excellent shape and point-ability.
Even 1911 gurus give them high marks.
Old October 4, 2016, 11:45 AM   #14
deadcoyote

I will preface this by saying this is a heavily subjective opinion: I started out in LE when we all used .357 magnum revolvers. I am of the opinion if you learn to shoot well with the heavy DA trigger of a revolver it is pretty easy to transition to any other platform of handgun. I recognize this is specific to my history, and I also acknowledge that a lot of young recruits today have also never handled firearms, so that's a big factor too.
Old October 4, 2016, 12:18 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

The CZ 75 doesn't fit short hands. Been crying about that for 30 some years. They were in Canada long before they got Stateside.
As mentioned, the thing fitting your hand is more important than how it works.
However, the difference between types is kind of like the difference between a proper standard transmission and a girly automatic. Same thing but different. You have to adjust to how you make that particular type work. Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of difference what you start with. Go try a bunch on for size and buy the one that speaks to you.
"...recruits today have also never handled firearms..." Most have never seen a real firearm prior to training. Lot of 'em don't like firearms and never practice either.
Old October 4, 2016, 09:38 PM   #16
Radny97

deadcoyote has it right in my experience
Old October 4, 2016, 10:12 PM   #17
K_Mac

I see no real benefit of learning with a double action trigger if you don't like the long, heavier pull. If after trying DA/SA and striker fired, you decide to go with a strker fired pistol there is no need to deal with DA. Sure, there is merit in being proficient with both, but use what you like.
Old October 5, 2016, 12:23 AM   #18
DeusComedis

Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, is a pure SA hammer fired considered a bad option for this (having to flip the safety on an eventual self-defense guns being a liability). I'm not just talking 1911s, I've seen P226s, M9/92s, CZs, etc in SAO.
Old October 5, 2016, 01:25 AM   #19
Snyper

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, is a pure SA hammer fired considered a bad option for this (having to flip the safety on an eventual self-defense guns being a liability). I'm not just talking 1911s, I've seen P226s, M9/92s, CZs, etc in SAO.
Many still carry single actions.
They just aren't as popular as they once were.

Having to use a safety isn't a "liability" once you learn to do it without thinking about it.
Old October 5, 2016, 09:52 AM   #20
K_Mac

Quote:
It is not a bad option, with training, practice, and experience. Which is exactly the same answer I would give for DAO or striker fired guns.
Old October 5, 2016, 01:38 PM   #21
Darkstar888

How bout both at the same time. The Walther P99 and P99c are a unique DA/SA striker fired design with a decocker. What an amazing firearm that is. Great trigger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 5, 2016, 03:30 PM   #22
Don P

As stated, striker fired consistent trigger pull time after time. DA/SA will give you a long trigger pull on the first round and then shortened up after that and you can dry fire both types of guns
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 6, 2016, 06:09 AM   #23
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
If you start with and master a DA/SA pistol, it's easy to then transition to another platform should you choose to do so in the future. This will really teach you good trigger discipline, hence it's my recommendation.
^ This. The DA/SA might be "more complicated" but that's because it involves more than one mode. Getting good with it means getting good with more than one mode. It also means getting fluent between modes. That could certainly lend itself to versatility and could help you to prepare for a wider selection of guns in the future.
Old October 6, 2016, 10:03 AM   #24
briandg

Offhand, I'd suggest that you choose what you intend to use and start there.

Personally, I think that starting with a DA trigger is a good idea, and it can't hurt to work with a DA handgun forever. You can probably get a striker fired for a little less than a similar quality DA.