The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 4, 2012, 10:06 AM   #1
spearman

Drum mag for SKS

What are your thoughts/experiences with 75 rd drum mags for sks?
Old November 4, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2
2damnold4this

I had one once. It was heavy but it worked and you sure could shoot a lot. Using a bipod helped.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3
MrGoodwrench

I would worry about heating up the barrel. My Yugo gets pretty hot using the factory fixed mag and stripper clips. I can imagine the results after burning through a drum mag.

To be clear, I've never used a drum mag for an SK, but I have used lots of other aftermarket magazines with very poor results. The only mags I found that would function correctly were the Tapco 20rd detachables. All the rest had frequent failure to feed and eject problems. After trying just about every option out there, I returned it to its factory furniture.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4
srfisher3

I think the coolness factor outways the practicality, but who cares? Drum Mags are awesome!!! I've had some slight feed problems with mine and I agree the weight is pretty extreme.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Rifleman1952

I have a Chinese Norinco SKS manufactured in 1964. I tried a few different aftermarket 30 round mags and had a lot of FTF problems. Switched back to the original 10 rounder and have not had one issue since. I've read many similar accounts from other SKS owners.