The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2012, 08:33 AM   #51
Bart B.

I think there's a dimensional issue at hand. If a factory round chambers easily and your handloads don't, there's a dimensional difference. Only 1 or 2 thousandths in the right place will cause this problem. So you need something to measure your reloads to at least 1/1000ths inch.

One thing's a good micrometer or caliper graduated in thousandths.

The other's a case headspace gauge to measure the distance from the case head to the case shoulder's reference point. RCBS Precision Mic or Hornady's case headspace tool are good choices.

Do you have these and if not, are you willing to buy them? Otherwise, it's gonna be very difficult to get the problem resolved by on-line chit-chat in reloading forums based on your visual observations.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:57 AM   #52
DASHZNT

I have calipers.. I have headspace guage. Please read earlier posts, I have all necessary tools.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:09 PM   #53
hounddawg

so have you tried chambering a resized case with no bullet or primer yet?
Old November 26, 2012, 12:11 PM   #54
DASHZNT

Again.. thats all Ive been doing since the first post! I cannot get a resized piece of brass to allow the bolt to close!!
Old November 26, 2012, 01:15 PM   #55
Jimro

Remove your resizing die from the shell plate.

Disassemble and clean. Inspect the insides with a strong light after you clean.

Reassemble.

Place back in the shell plate until it touches, then only a 1/4 more rotation.

Take a once fired brass. Lube it outside, and inside the neck. Resize it. See if it chambers.

Your chamber is a series of two cones (body and shoulder) that feed into a cylinder (the neck area) which feeds into another cone (the throat). Since you are getting resistance at the very last part of chambering that tells me that you are getting interference either at the shoulder or the front of the chamber. Since factory ammo feeds, it is unlikely the interference is in the neck region.

This means that either your dies are out of spec for the shoulder, or they have a buildup of something that is pushing the shoulder out of spec.

Jimro
Old November 26, 2012, 02:23 PM   #56
DASHZNT

Ok Everyone who still is watching this thread and has tried to help out.. I cannot thank you enough for your assistance.

I called Dillon Precision today and they resolved the issue in a mattrr of minutes! They walked me through each step and tweaked the machine so that after each step we insured it was locked down. I only had to go a half turn past the touching of the shell plate and then the center resizing and decapping pin needed adjustment as well, it needed to protrudd jusg a quarter inch or so from the bottom of the die. Such a minor thing messed caused so much headache. Enclosed is a picture of a successful dummy round for refernce.

Again, I am very thankful for your help, I learned alot. And I am also very thankful to Dillon Precision for their very patient and thorough customer service. Their product truly are the best and they stand behind it 150%. Needless to say, im a customer for life!!

DASHZNT

Last edited by DASHZNT; November 26, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:11 PM   #57
cw308

Glade it's over for you, Have fun & Be Safe . Chris
Old November 26, 2012, 04:20 PM   #58
DASHZNT

Thank You... I will.

DASHZNT
Old November 27, 2012, 12:53 PM   #59
ripnbst

Glad you got it figured out.

Last edited by ripnbst; November 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 04:31 PM   #60
tobnpr

Wish I had seen your post earlier....

Despite what the die manufacturer's say- screwing down the sizing die until it "touches" the shellplate- that often doesn't provide any- or enough- shoulder bump.

I had a similar issue when I first started reloading. Posted on the 'Hide, and most guys were telling me to send the die back to Hornady for grinding. I'll add that I had a Hornady Headspace Gauge (which you need to get if you don't have one, it's the only way to know how much bump you're getting compared to your fireformed cases) so I KNEW I wasn't getting the shoulders bumped back.

Finally someone posted as I'm doing, saying "been there, done that", and to go 1/2 turn PAST contact with shellplate to take all slack out of the press and get firm contact with the die and shellplate.

Problem solved. Keep in mind that, as Bart said, we're only talking about a mere thousandth of an inch or two...and getting that press to cam over HARD is often the solution to the problem. Like I said, if you don't have the LNL headspace gauge, it's a must have. I don't know how anyone can reload without it.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:49 AM   #61
DASHZNT

Thanx Buddy.. I have the guage as well but I was reading it wrong to boot at the time. In doing this, I have a large batch of .223 that is off by 1 thousandth and now I dunno what to do. All signs point to pulling them and starting over.. Arrgh!!

DASHZNT
Old November 29, 2012, 10:38 PM   #62
DASHZNT

Well... I bought a hornady cam lock puller for the .223 rounds and all is well!!! That tool is amazing, I was able to pull the 900 rounds I made of .223 that were off on the headspace and resized and resat and crimped them progressively on my Dillon 550 in about 3-4 hours carefully.

If there is one thing I learned with the .308 issue, is headspace is hugely important and I will NEVER allow multiple rounds running through my press that are slightly off like that because that task could have been Hell without that tool!!!

DASHZNT