The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 4, 2018, 05:36 PM   #1
Nunya53

Gun Show across State Line

Let's say I live in Arkansas and desire to travel to Tulsa this weekend for the Wannamacher Arms Show. Also, lets say I have a very low serial number Winchester M54 that I don't have much of an attachment to. Say I find a pre-64 Winchester 264 WM and both parties agree to some kind of trade and or cash.

Myself, I am a private individual. I'm fairly confident the other party would have to be an FFL???

Say I find a collector that absolutely must have this rifle due to it's 2 digit serial number. Can I sell it to him if he isn't an FFL?

Might be elementary questions, I know but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Jerry
Old April 4, 2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Pahoo

No, you can't go wrong going through an FFL

Quote:
Quote:
Say I find a collector that absolutely must have this rifle due to it's 2 digit serial number. Can I sell it to him if he isn't an FFL?
No you can't or should not, as you have have described. You need to go through an FFL. I once bought and beautiful Sako and after agreeing on the price, he requested that we do the transaction through an FFL and he was willing to pay the transfer fee. Not a problem and one o the few times that seller and buyer walked away, happy. ......

Be Legal and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 4, 2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya53 View Post
. . . .Myself, I am a private individual. I'm fairly confident the other party would have to be an FFL???

Might be elementary questions, I know but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Jerry
Yes, it is absolutely better safe than sorry. The bottom line on interstate firearms transactions, in terms of federal law is that all interstate firearms transfers (with the exceptions of bequests under a will and temporary sporting purpose loans) must go through an FFL.