The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 22, 2007, 04:12 AM   #1
mjrodney

Closed threads - Biting commentary by staff

I have been part of the Firing Line for just about a year now, as I have been on a number of sites of this type. I find that I spend most of my time here, though, as I like how this board is structured.

During this time, however, I have noticed a disturbing pattern generated by at least one member of the staff, when this particular staff member chooses to close a thread.

This staff member frequently closes a thread with either a last personal opinion on the topic (as if his opinion is the only one that counts), or worse, a scathing, derogatory remark that steps well outside the bounds of civility. Highly disparaging remarks that exceed the "severity" of the supposed violation of the rules.

Remarks such as, "If you can't act like an adult, get the hell off TFL and stay off. Plain. Simple. Be gone."

I purposely searched a few of the other boards, such as The High Road, the 1911 Forum, The Ruger Forum, The S&W Forum and the M1911 Org Forum and reviewed a number of closed posts for staff commentary when they chose to close a given thread.

In almost no case did I find insulting personal commentary presented prior to closing the thread. Instead, the staff member briefly and succinctly offered the reason the thread was closed without any added commentary or personal opinion. And this is as it should be.

In any case, this type of biting commentary on the Firing Line is non-discriminatory, in that it offends not only the intended "target", but also those who find such an attitude regretable. It will serve only to drive contributors to "be gone", and it will change active contributors to a discussion to become "Lurkers", folks who eat up computer bandwidth on the Firing Line, but who never sign in or contribute to the discussion.

I would suggest that, if the Firing Line wishes to limit its contributing base to the new firearm owner, to the arm chair gang banger, or the like, it should continue to permit these disparaging remarks. Kids are resistant to parental commentary.

We "adults", however would rather "be gone".
Old February 22, 2007, 08:31 AM   #2
johnbt

I haven't seen any highly disparaging remarks. Blunt and to the point maybe, but not disparaging.

John
Old February 22, 2007, 08:37 AM   #3
stephen426

I've gotten pm'ed before when I got in a "heated debate turned ugly", but I deserved it. On the thread, the mod just told us to keep it civil or that the thread would be shut down. Consider pm'ing the moderator directly and linking his post and your original post on this thread. Mods have bad days too.
Old February 22, 2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Crosshair

I have seen a few threads where the mod expresses their opinion on the subject when closing that I WANTED to respond to, but could not because the thread was closed. I agree in that when closing a thread they should simply give the reason for closing and not inject opinion and other comments into posts.
Old February 22, 2007, 12:10 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Take it up with the individual moderator via private message.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.