The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2001, 04:13 PM   #1
maxinquaye

How often do you have to clean pumps?

No, not the shoes, the shotgun
I have a Mossberg 590A1 and I take it to the range about once a month. I clean my pistols and rifles after every trip, but somehow feel it's ok to skimp on the shotgun - probably cause it's such a pain in the but to dis-assemble. How often do you folke break 'em down and give them a good scrub?
Old September 7, 2001, 07:49 PM   #2
rugerfreak

Embarassed to say----but I'm like you----never. Maybe if one of my pumps would start to fail me---otherwise no.
Old September 7, 2001, 07:58 PM   #3
Alex Szabo

I use a Mossberg 500A pump. I break it down after each use. I have found it to be easy to break down and reassemble. It is easier to work with as opposed to my semi's.

The only pain in the a$$ is the trigger assembly. I am always afraid of it falling apart and not being able to reassemble due to lack of full documentation [which almost happened a couple of times].

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759
Old September 7, 2001, 08:05 PM   #4
Kharn

I use a bore snake on my 870 before and after every range session, and then I put a few drops of CLP down into the action when I am done.

Kharn
Old September 7, 2001, 09:53 PM   #5
Coronach

You have to clean them?

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old September 7, 2001, 09:54 PM   #6
waltherpfive

I have a Winchester 1300 and find it is as easy to breakdown and clean as my handguns so I clean it after each trip to the range.
Old September 8, 2001, 01:26 AM   #7
Fatcat

I used to never clean my pump, either. But then one of these guys here showed me the light: Chances are, if you don't clean it at least semi-regularly, the time it's gonna start malfunctioning is when there is a BG in your living room.

My 870's so easy to disassemble that I enjoy cleaning it.
Old September 8, 2001, 07:07 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Licknpromise after each use, complete stripdown every 1000 rounds or each year.

A complete job takes maybe 30 minutes. Both my oldest 870 and Frankenstein have been drug in and out of saltmarshes, bogs, goose blinds and bramble thickets,used in downpours and fogs. Zero rust.

There's a lesson there(G)....
Old September 8, 2001, 08:49 AM   #9
KeithL

I'll clean the bore of my 870M after everyuse, then very light oil the action, and "Sheath" the exterior. Once a season (after waterfowling), I would pop the trigger group out, pour boiling water on it, & dry & re-oil. The shotgun was "used" when I got it in the late 60's...and still no rust.
Old September 8, 2001, 11:16 AM   #10
Captain Bligh

I clean my 870 after each time I use it. I can't stand dirty guns. I want them clean, well-lubed, and ready to go.

On the 870, generally I just clean the barrel and wipe out the breech. Only about once a year do I go all the way and pull out the bolt and drop the trigger assembly for a full-strip/full-clean.

It really is just as easy to clean, if not easier, than taking care of a pistol.

RJ
Old September 9, 2001, 09:17 PM   #11
JAMES L.SMITH

Always swabbed barrel&wiped down outside of gun after use,yearly-complete takedown clean-up.Bought a couple of military shotguns(old) Stevens520-30&Ithaca 37 both guns were clean,except mag. tube insides were ribbed and springs were very thin,no rust(packed lightly with greace). After clean-up both shoot good.
Old September 9, 2001, 11:13 PM   #12
Coronach

Here's a related question. I have seen much variance on which parts get lubed in the 870...which is also, I suppose, a sign of the gun's durability and reliability...they seem to work all oiled to [color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color] and almost dry as a bone.

So, when/if you clean them, what do you lube?

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old September 10, 2001, 06:12 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mike,when I take one down to clean it thoroughly, I use a light moly grease or the new Slip 2000 lube inside the receiver and bbl. Wipe on/wipe off, like the Karate Kid.

Last thing I do is apply one drop of Slip 200 or CLP to each action bar right where it enters the receiver and work it a few times. The outside gets the same treatment for rust prevention.
Old September 10, 2001, 09:35 AM   #14
Coronach

I usually apply a LIGHT layer of CLP to the interior parts (like from a moistened 12ga patch), making sure to get a drop or two on the areas where the action bars ride. I then usually add a drop to each action bar as you do, Dave (so they're probably getting double treatment, actually).

Its worked for me for 15 years (GOOD LORD, that long???), so I figured I was doing it right. I've just noticed SUBSTANTIAL variation in how its done.

Mike

PS Of course, back in the dim recesses of history it wasn't CLP, but the crude precursors thereof.

Old September 12, 2001, 08:11 PM   #15
blades67

I clean it every time I use it and I lube it with CLP.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old September 13, 2001, 07:55 AM   #16
KSFreeman

"How do you expect to kill any Communists with a dirty weapon, sailor?" Senior Chief Petty Officer Fredrick Larson

Clean your weapons after using them. Clean your weapons once a week whether you discharge them or not. Wipe down your carry guns everyday.
Old September 13, 2001, 06:07 PM   #17
mbott

Call me old school, but if I shoot it, I clean it.

--
Mike
Old September 17, 2001, 09:42 PM   #18
taco

I usually clean my sporting shotguns (Rem 870 and 1100) every 6 weeks or so (200-250 rounds) but I do wipe down the receiver and barrel and give a light coating of Rem oil after each outting.

My home defense shotguns get cleaned after every outting or every other month even if it wasn't used.
Old September 17, 2001, 10:37 PM   #19
Borf

just bought a Winchester 1300 20 ga used last week. Also shot my first 3 rounds of skeet ever with it this past weekend. Think I'm addicted As I was saying though, I got it home and took it apart. I doubt the original owner had every cleaned it. I could shake the bolt by hand and *gobs* of crub fell off... kinda like a powder residue & grunge jelly of some kind. Took me nearly an hour to clean the receiver parts... but I noticed no difficulty in operating it before my cleaning... I'm betting it could have gone a lot longer without cleaning!

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old September 17, 2001, 11:29 PM   #20
Alex Szabo

Typically...

Borf,

I would simply pay particular attention to a detailed cleaning [with a careful breakdown] in order to remove the apparent factory shipping greases as well as all powder residues.

You should be good to go after that. Good hunting!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759
Old September 18, 2001, 12:54 AM   #21
UK2TX

I went dove hunting with some good old boys in Iredell, Tx last weekend and one of the chaps had a Remington which had not been stripped and cleaned since new ( 23 years )!

I, however, strip and clean my firearms after every trip.

Regards,

UK2TX
Old September 18, 2001, 08:36 AM   #22
Correia

You guys might want to do a search for the thread where I cleaned my Dad's 870. Purchased in the 1950s, used really hard, and never cleaned! It still worked fine. Though he was surprised by how much smoother the action was. Those things never stop!
Old September 18, 2001, 10:46 AM   #23
Lightsped

I have a 590A1 too. While I ALWAYS clean my handguns after each use, I have not cleaned my 590A1 yet. Although the 590A1 has only been fired about 15 times.

Anyways, what all is involved in cleaning my shotgun? I know how to remove the barrel, but I have no knowledge in removing any other neccesary parts that need cleaning....
Old September 18, 2001, 02:03 PM   #24
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lightsped....

It's been decades since I took down a 500, so the best I can do for you is to recommend getting the manual from Mossberg and following the TD procedures.

Once it's apart, use Hoppe's,etc, to remove grunge,dry it, relube with a good product like CLP, and put it together again.