The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2017, 05:28 PM   #1
lunger

Confession

My name is Lunger and I bought a Tristar O/U.I know all the horror stories about budget Turkish O/U's.But seeing them at local shop for sub $400 I had to try a 12 gauge with 28" barrels. It just seemed to fit me just right.

I've tried it on some hand thrown clays and I like it. Only 60 shots but no issues yet.It has a 5 year warranty. Barrels seem well regulated for what it is.

Let me say I am a 60 year old guy. Was an obsessed bow hunter. Never had time for small game. Recent back problems have limited my ability to draw a bow. So this year I have time.

Before you flame me too bad,I don't shoot competition and have no plans to. I know it is no Parrazzi. I also know it won't stand up to thousands of rounds per year. I also have other pumps and semi's.

I probably won't put a hundred a year through it.For the occasional Upland hunter I think you could do worse . And besides if I scratch it or gets it rained on it won't keep me up at night.

So fire away if you must . I can take it
Old September 17, 2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Have fun with your new gun---it should last a long while if you're planning on using it like that
-------Metallica
Old September 17, 2017, 09:38 PM   #3
osbornk

I suspect it will be shooting well long after you are gone.
Old September 18, 2017, 10:22 AM   #4
GarandTd

If it works as intended and you like it...fire away, fire away.

I rock a sub $200 20g pump and like it just fine.
Old September 18, 2017, 05:16 PM   #5
lunger

Thanks Guys, I was expecting to hear any thing less than a Browning or a Barretta is junk and will fall apart in your hands.
Old September 18, 2017, 05:23 PM   #6
FITASC

That could very well happen, or it might not. It's one of those guns. But for what you describe, it should be OK.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 18, 2017, 10:59 PM   #7
BigJimP

If "regulation" on barrels is good -- and "POI" is where you look meaning it "fits" ...then you will probably be ok.

As far as parts ..or service..if you need them, not sure .../...but I hope it works for you !

......but yes, for a long term gun, in O/U's especially - both Browning & Beretta give you the most gun for your money ( not Perazzi, in my opinion ).
Old September 19, 2017, 04:43 AM   #8
Tony Z

I must also confess to the ownership of a Savage/Stevens 555, in 28 ga. Guns points, feels and shoots well! I'll be lucky to shoot a box out of it this fall.

With that said, I cut my teeth on a Fox side by side and would love to find one in 20 ga. at a gun show over the next few years.
Old September 19, 2017, 07:53 AM   #9
FITASC

Look on www.gunsinternational.com under the Fox section
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 19, 2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunger View Post
Thanks Guys, I was expecting to hear any thing less than a Browning or a Barretta is junk and will fall apart in your hands.
That is a bad habit with a lot of gun owner's. Doesn't matter if it's a rifle, handgun or shotgun, there are a lot that try to save you from a mistake. Problem with that is the majority of them never owned or even tried the product they are condemning!
Old September 19, 2017, 01:28 PM   #11
BigJimP

You're right...and its the internet...so we all understand the input may be less than legitimate...

But some of us, that have shot a lot of clay targets - for many years.... see a lot of turkish, etc entry level over unders on the clay fields at local clubs from new shooters...that have all kinds of problems...with terrible barrel regulation ...and parts breaking even after only a few hundred shells.

Buyers just need to be aware...and shop the used gun stores in your area...see what mfg's of O/U's are holding their value ...and what isn't.../ make their own judgements.

Good O/U's ...that will last 3 or 4 generations...and handle 500,000 shells ...are not hard to find...in the Beretta and Browning lineup of guns...at a fair price in my view - new and used.
Old September 19, 2017, 01:39 PM   #12
FITASC

To add to Jim's comments, many a new shooter would better off buying a used top tier semi auto versus a new lower tier over-under. Semis from Beretta, Browning, Remington, among others, are excellent guns, well made, and should run a long time for equal or less money.
Old September 19, 2017, 03:42 PM   #13
lunger

Can't argue with the quality and value of the upper end O/U's. And I would love to own one. But they are out of reach for most casual shooters.
Old September 19, 2017, 04:07 PM   #14
FITASC

Why a good semi is often the better value.
Old September 19, 2017, 07:37 PM   #15
Virginian

Quote:
To add to Jim's comments, many a new shooter would better off buying a used top tier semi auto versus a new lower tier over-under. Semis from Beretta, Browning, Remington, among others, are excellent guns, well made, and should run a long time for equal or less money.
To me this is the great truth. You do not need an O/U, and a good semi beats a poor O/U every time.
Old September 19, 2017, 07:42 PM   #16
Blindstitch

Have you thought about using a crossbow? I know it isn't the same but it's still bowhunting.
Old September 19, 2017, 11:40 PM   #17
BigJimP

I agree that a good semi auto ..is a smarter choice for an all around gun on a budget....over the lower end O/U's....

But I still hope this gun works our for the OP.
Old September 20, 2017, 02:55 AM   #18
lunger

I have considered a crossbow even though still hoping I get to where I can draw a bow again.

Would need some time to practice with one so this season is out either way .
Old September 20, 2017, 06:32 AM   #19
Siggy-06

The turks know how to make a decent firearm for sure.
Old September 20, 2017, 03:03 PM   #20
FITASC

And like the US and Spain and other places, they build the quality to the price point the retailer wants.
Old September 20, 2017, 11:34 PM   #21
BigJimP

But in general, in my view, no - the Turks don't know how to make decent guns. That is most of the problem.....
Old September 21, 2017, 06:55 AM   #22
jaguarxk120

It is still what FITASC has said, they build to a price point.

Many complain about the electrics on English cars, but the mfgr. says
it will build to any quality level the customer wants!

The same go's for Turkish guns, many high end guns are/were made in Turkey,
S&W, Kimber, Webley & Scott, Dickenson, and others.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; September 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old September 21, 2017, 11:09 AM   #23
FITASC

Besides those mentioned, don't be surprised to find that some of England's best guns have parts made there, as well as Spain, Italy, etc. As far as the Brits are concerned, it is who put the final file stroke on the gun that claims where it was made.......