The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 16, 2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Getting antsy are yaw?

My football team lost their game. After watching the team players leave the field for the last time. I was reeling with displeasure. What a bunch of BUMS!! I needed a pick-me-up gents. And quick!! Somehow yesterday I couldn't think of anything else that could do it for me other than. Yes Sir I grabbed my percussion 45 cal T/C Hawken and headed out onto the back yard deck determined to take it apart, clean, and checked out every little detail I could find hoping to change my mind-set and get some relief from the stress I now had. Fast forward half hour later: A drop of CLP here and there for function. The final slide of its wedge key back into its slot. Oh that rifle of mine is in perfect condition for this years coming deer hunt now. All three classifications it met after my close scrutiny. Yup!! form, fit, & function. {Not once did that disappointing game enter my mind while I was cleaning my rifle.} Relief from all that stress. Yes Sir it was gone. I was cured.
Now I'm starting to think I'm a Hypochondriac. A whole new affliction got a hold of me while out there on the deck. Fresh air, the smell and sight of leaves starting their turning to color. The sound of a distant chainsaw under load, probably cutting fire wood. Anyone else suffering with those same symptoms of wanting to be out in the woods this time of year. Are you too ->Getting Antsy?
Old September 16, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2
ChasingWhitetail91

Im ready for hunting season the day after hunting season. As for football i'm a Pats fan, so no complaints from me yet
Old September 16, 2013, 08:16 AM   #3
shortwave

You bet, S.S.

Last week got the Seneca with the 36cal. bbl. out and did the same as you. Final inspection for this past weekend planned squirrel hunt. Then Thursday of last week, screwed my knee up again foolin with the dog.
Ended up sitting most of the weekend with leg elevated icing/heating knee and watching my team get beat as well.

Now I'm more antsy then ever. Bet I get out this week if I gotta crawl through the woods.
Old September 16, 2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Sorry to hear your not quite up to par there shortwave. Hopefully those old knee tendons & surrounding muscles heal up quickly.
FWIW those squirrels will wait for yaw. No doubt about that.
Old September 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #5
shortwave

Thanks for the kind words... especially the 'old' knee...part.

Kinda have a personal vendetta with the squirrels and raccoons this year as they have succeded in literally stripping all the fruit tree's in the yard as well as hit the garden with a vengance.

Just couldn't wait to get out this past weekend to get a few squirrels with the bp to see how fruit and sweet corn fed squirrel tasted.

With the knee screw up, am currently investigating the possibilty of the squirrels/coons enlistment of the dog as an accomplice to foil my plans of an all out assault on them. I'll take no prisoners if I find out this has happened.
'Waterboarding' is currently taking place.

I will however get out this week and send some smoke up from the deck with a few different sidelocks in preparation for this upcoming deer season.

Can't wait!
Old September 16, 2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Doyle

I missed opening day of archery here because the wife insisted on getting tickets for the FSU home opener. I'm looking forward to this Saturday.
Old September 17, 2013, 12:19 PM   #7
sc928porsche

I have my rifle cleaned, oiled, sighted in, and in the case. I sent out a box of 50 reloads to my brother in law ahead of time so that there isnt any problem of transportation. I have my out of state licence and tags. All my gear is packed and the plane tickets are in hand. Season opens on the 28th and I will leave on the 26th.
Old September 17, 2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Bullcamp82834

It's "Y'ALL" sure shot.

Are you a Yankee or something?
Old September 17, 2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Antsy?

I'm getting nervous!

To much to do to get ready, not enough time to do it.
Old September 17, 2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If I may ask. Where are your headed off too there sc928porsche?
You fellows down in Alabama got such a big game (limit) I even wish I lived down there during your deer season.
Old September 18, 2013, 06:59 AM   #11
cornbush

I've had a twitchy trigger finger for weeks......... Leaving in a little over two weeks for an elk hunt with my brothers that should run 9 or 10 days
Old September 18, 2013, 07:19 AM   #12
Saltydog235

First sit out I forgot my boots but I got grocery store feet and hunted in flip flops anyway, heck I was already down there. Saw a fawn.

Second sit I saw some more sookies and a fawn.

Sunday afternoon the Bills beat the Panthers and I blew a doe's brains out and 120yds. The Panthers are in for a long year, looks like the deer might be too.
Old September 18, 2013, 08:33 AM   #13
globemaster3

Ugh! I wish I could go there mentally, but the USAF for the second year in a row put the kibosh on the deer season for me! Last year, Afghanistan. This year, a move with 4 months of training involved. Grumble grumble!

At least I am PCSing to somewhere with reportedly good hunting and fishing!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old September 18, 2013, 09:12 AM   #14
kraigwy

I'm antsy, yes. Gonna be a busy next two weeks.

I have some reloading to do. Last two days of the month I'm running our clubs sight in days for out of state hunters, closing the range at 5 PM on the 30th. I'll have the truck loaded then head out antelope hunting (its close by but I like camping on the prairie. Season opens Oct 1st.

Both wife and I have tags, got to hurry and fill them, get them cooled, cut up and in the freezer then beat feet to the Big Horns because my elk season starts the 1st also.

Looking forward to using my Vintage Sniper rifle (M1903A4) for elk this year.

I can wait on deer for the second season across the highway which starts Nov 1st.. Gonna fill two tags, one with my muzzle loader, the other with my USGI '98 30-40 Krag.

Added to the fact I only have 12 days left, we just bought a new boat and wife wants to get it in the water a few days for some fishing before hunting season.

Have to skip some matches I wanted to shoot, hunting season snuck up on me too quick this year.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 18, 2013, 09:36 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

globemaster3:
Thank you for your long term service. I truly hope that new PCS meets your expectations. Take care, S/S
Old September 18, 2013, 10:25 AM   #16
BumbleBug

antsy? You bet!

This year my brother & I went together & bought a new meat grinder & sausage stuffer - both "commercial size".

Is that confidence or what?

...bug
Old September 18, 2013, 12:07 PM   #17
shortwave

Quote:
globemaster3:
Thank you for your long term service.
Amen to that Sure Shot.

Because of you, globemaster3(and those like you) I get to enjoy the privilege's in this country. Again, Thank You.
Old September 19, 2013, 06:54 AM   #18
globemaster3

Thanks guys, for appreciating the service. I didn't intend to hijack the thread, just a moment where I thought about the opportunities I had lined up for this year that went down the tube with orders caught me in a weak moment and I wanted to rant. Rant over. Now more antsyness! Better times await once I get through the training and get my family settled. Not to mention this will be the retirement swan song!

Personally, I want to see Kraig's results with the Krag (pun intended) as well as the 1903A4!

Now we just need Brian to resurrect the "Live, from the stand!" for the 2013-2014 season!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."