The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Jeffm004

Finishing 9mm, switching to .40 on 650 - return to 9mm planning

I'd really like to leave the powder dump and powder check set where it is but I do not have duplicates of that. Any tricks to marking or recording a setting for getting things back when I return to 9mm. I may try taking some measurements with a micrometer.

I have never switch calibers on it, I'll be checking Utube next but if you have any other suggestions?
Old February 4, 2017, 10:12 AM   #2
nhyrum

I don't know about Dillon, but a lot of companies sell micrometers for their powder drops, that would give you a good indicator of where you were on multiple loads. Of course, verify and fine tune before loading.

Again, I don't have a Dillon, so I don't know, but it's a pretty common thing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old February 4, 2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Jeffm004

Taking a break, need to seat .001 deeper but done. Somewhere here I read about swapping out the powder bar, I have several spares and did that. The powder warning tube attached to the tool head is the same as the powder dump tube, I know I have those and will order just the rod and keep it set for .40, basically one head, two dump tubes left behind and each head has a unique rod, and powder bar.

I went very slow and found it mostly very easy with little to no frustration.
Old February 4, 2017, 01:00 PM   #4
lee n. field

What powder measure?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 5, 2017, 12:23 PM   #5
BigJimP

I think you'll find that buying the quick change kit ..is worth your money...so you have a separate tool head for .40 S&W and 9mm....both with dies installed and powder measures and powder check dies installed in each tool head.

I tend to load calibers in large volumes ( 40 boxes or so at a time ) / then just pull from my loaded inventory for range trips ....so switching calibers is not that big a deal ...

--- and while you could use one tool head ...switch dies, etc.../ I don't. But tips, if you want to do that ...no, not really. Just take your time and get everything adjusted properly... ( it might be a little easier, if you use the same powder for 9mm and .40 S&W ...like Hodgdon TiteGroup .../ you will find there is some overlap of the min and max for each caliber using TiteGroup, depending on which bullet you choose for each caliber ).

TiteGroup works well in both calibers for me ...9mm 115 gr FMJ / and 165 or 180 gr FMJ bullet in .40 S&W.