The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2009, 05:32 PM   #1
nguynu2401

box store v.s. gun smith quality

I am still on the hunt for a new shot gun and have had some great feed back on earlier threads. but still in the deciding mode. I have bought guns from both gander mountain before and a local gun shot. I realize that we all want to give the "little guy" the business, but sometime it is just to have for them to price the way the bitg stores do.

so enough rambling, is there a difference in quality from the Gander mountain gun and the same exact model that would be purchased from a "mom and pop " type dealer. I have heard both ways. any help from a dealer who is watching would be great.
Old September 16, 2009, 05:35 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

NO... With the exception of some store only guns... Like the 10/22 walmart sold. But the exact "part number" of the gun will vary I reckon...
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 05:43 PM   #3
nguynu2401

As far the quality though, I have heard from gun dealers that when remington makes a gun (or whatever type of manufacturer) they say that it does not go through the same type of quality assurance, because they are getting pumped out of the plant quicker, and the small gun dealer, the gun goes through a more stringent QA
Old September 16, 2009, 06:07 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not true... Most all guns are ordered thru a distributor so the factory has no clue whether mom and pop shop ordered it or G-Mountain... Hardly any mass produced gun models are sold factory to dealer directly. Walmart and my local shops buy from the exact same book dialing the same number to the same distributor
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 06:21 PM   #5
BigJimP

+1 what HogDogs said ....

they're all the same - unless its a model specifically made for the store.

Now, if you are dealing with a distributor that may have more than 1 gun of a specific model / you may be able to look at the stock on 2 or 3 guns and pick the one you want. There may be a difference in the wood appearance on the guns / no 2 pieces of walnut are the same.... but that's probably only an issue when you get into guns over $2,000.
Old September 16, 2009, 06:58 PM   #6
GeauxTide

+2 Hogdogs

The SERVICE you get is the difference from a dealer. They will typically discount a rifle, scope, covers, sling, case, ammo "package" and mount, sight in or bore sight your rifle for free. Here in BHM, mounting and sighting is a $30-40 value. The other issue is WARRANTY. Dealer will represent you to the manufacturer and the BB may give you their phone number.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:03 PM   #7
nguynu2401

my buddy purchased an 11-87 a couple years ago at Dicks sporting goods, he had some issued with it, they were unable to fix it due to no gun smith on site, but they did send the gun back to remington no charge, but you definetly get the petter service at the smaller shops.

Thanks for all the help,
Old September 16, 2009, 07:12 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yer welcome anytime!!!
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 07:17 PM   #9
Dragon55

The 2 or 3 % I might have to pay extra for a gun from my gunshop is so worth it. He calls me by my first name when I come in, lives next door to his shop, and is also a skilled smith.
Defining quality to me would have to include service as a huge part of the definition.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:35 PM   #10
A/C Guy

If it is in stock, then buy it from which ever invested in the inventory for you to see it and try it. I don't think anyone should go to store A and try something, then go online and buy it. Give the business to the guy or company that offered the service of stocking the product for you to try. Same applies to going across town, telling them you want the gun you saw at the other store and ask them to beat the price. In the long run, we all lose. Eventually, store A goes broke and then we are stuck with store B and he doesn't stock squat.

If it is a special order because no one stocks it, then choose according to who gives the better service.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:47 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Along that same line... My local store did not have the Ruger MKIII .22/45 in stock and told me the price and I could come put a deposit and they would order it.

I called the shop 30 miles away, told them I was thinking of getting it from "Bud's" online but preferred to see "MY GUN" before plopping my money down... well they didn't have it in the store but took my number to call me back with their best price after verifying price with distributor... Well they callme back and quoted me a price just $20 or less higher than Bud's. The next day (saturday) they called and told me the gun was in... I said "I am sorry but I didn't confirm for you to order." They informed me that it was fine and they wanted it in for me to look at or for the next guy either way they were okay with it...
I ran up looked at it and paid them right then... went the extra mile to actually "sell" their product...
Brent
Old September 17, 2009, 10:46 AM   #12
BigJimP

I will always buy from my local gun shop / or special order thru my local gun shop ( who happens to primarily be a pawn shop ).

He's always treated me well - and when he can - he makes me a deal / when he can't, I pay what he needs. In the long run, I get better deals - especially on used guns that come in.
Old September 17, 2009, 11:26 PM   #13
olddrum1

Yes and no on the small mom and pop stores. Is there a difference in guns that go out to these stores, let me just say there is a difference in the store.
Old September 17, 2009, 11:52 PM   #14
teeroux

Yeah there is a difference you will get skinned worse by Gander Mnt. than a local dealer or at least in my experience.
Old September 18, 2009, 08:11 AM   #15
CajunBass

I don't see Gander Mountain beat anybody's price very often. If they do you KNOW "the other guy" is priced too high.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 18, 2009, 11:35 AM   #16
oneounceload

Maybe someone needs to forward these type of comments to GM so they can see how poorly they're really thought of......