The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 23, 2017, 02:50 AM   #1
Texas Reb

10g

Just out of curiosity.

Would a modern day, break open single shot 10g make a good Muzzleloader?
Old November 23, 2017, 08:03 AM   #2
Hawg

I guess it would if you cut the barrel off behind the choke but why? If you want to shoot bp out of it just load some shells with it and keep the choke just don't use plastic wads.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:55 AM   #3
Texas Reb

Understand. It was curiosity. I figured it would, but wanted to ask.
Old November 23, 2017, 09:01 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Sure. Simply thread the breech and make a screw in plug firing 209 primers. But I surely wouldn't do that to my fully functional Iver Johnsons. Doing so would be a sacrilege. Well maybe not to a NEF or H&R.
I think 10ga. is equal to a 78 cal if not mistaken? "Now that would make a dandy brush buster and likely to fall mature trees in its way.
Old November 23, 2017, 09:14 AM   #5
AlaBusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I guess it would if you cut the barrel off behind the choke but why? If you want to shoot bp out of it just load some shells with it and keep the choke just don't use plastic wads.
Or could cut some rifling in the choke area. Would be like a screw in rifled choke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2017, 11:06 AM   #6
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I have no problems with loading my full choked muzzle loading trap guns. I use two nitro cards that I have wetted a little so they are more flexible, also that helps clean the bore as I reload. Start them in edgewise bending them slightly to get them through the choke, once you get past the choke, the ramrod will straighten them out and push them on the powder charge.

To clean a full choked muzzle loader with a fixed choke, I use a jag that's smaller than the gauge and use three or four cleaning patches stacked on top of each other. This will squeeze enough to get through the choke yet still expand to wipe the bore. I use a 16 gauge jag in my twelve and a 10 gauge jag in my eight gauge for cleaning.

Last edited by B.L.E.; November 23, 2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old November 23, 2017, 01:00 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Or could cut some rifling in the choke area. Would be like a screw in rifled choke.
Shotgun barrels are pretty thin to be rifling them plus the rifling would play havoc with shot.

Quote:
To clean a full choked muzzle loader with a fixed choke, I use a jag that's smaller than the gauge and use three or four cleaning patches stacked on top of each other. This will squeeze enough to get through the choke yet still expand to wipe the bore. I use a 16 gauge jag in my twelve and a 10 gauge jag in my eight gauge for cleaning.
I would just use bore mops. That's all I use to clean my muzzle loaders anyway.
Old November 25, 2017, 10:54 PM   #8
EphraimKibbey

Be careful about altering a gun to do something it was never intended to do unless you are a qualified and experienced gunsmith.
Back when I was young, bored and very foolish, I bought an old nitro twist rabbit ear double barrel shotgun for almost nothing from Bannermans.
I had the idea of converting it to percussion for deer hunting because I believed some article I read which said they were safe for black powder.
I did basically what has been mentioned:
I replaced the firing pins with nipples and drilled and tapped the breech so that I could screw vented breech plugs back into the frame with a screwdriver bit on the end of a cleaning rod which I assumed locked the breech.
I now had what I thought was a pretty cool double slug muzzleloader after a lot of work but not much money.
I took it to the range and loaded it up.
I pulled back both the hammers and took aim at the target.
I pulled the first trigger and a great roar followed with flame and smoke all around.
The gun had doubled and since I had the second hammer back, its chamber had gone off both forward and back.
Luckily I have always worn glasses so I still have both my eyes but I also have a number of little blue/black specks in my cheeks below where the glasses' rims ended their protection.
And luckily the barrels held up to the double ignition so I still have all of my fingers.
Since then, I have read that the twist barrel technology was not fool proof especially if the barrel shows any rust as a flaw in the manufacture can be catastrophic.
It seems that you could find an old percussion 10 gauge shotgun but then you would not have a project nor that scary moment when you first pull its trigger.
Good Luck and stay safe!!!!

Last edited by EphraimKibbey; November 25, 2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old November 26, 2017, 08:49 PM   #9
deerslayer303

Gunadapters.com makes a 209 adapter to put in place of the shell. I have one and I shoot black powder out of my H&R Topper 12ga Full choke. Powder, wadding, shot, wadding. It shoots surprisingly well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old November 26, 2017, 09:20 PM   #10
Texas Reb

Pretty slick. I wonder how often the rubber rings need replaced?
Old November 26, 2017, 09:26 PM   #11
B.L.E.

Heck, I can pick up bucket loads of 209 primer adapters at the skeet range. Just punch out the old 209 primer, stick in a new one, powder, wads, shot, thin card wad, and then stick it in a break open single shot and shoot it.
You can load a bunch of them in advance at home.
Old November 26, 2017, 09:31 PM   #12
deerslayer303

I haven't had to replace mine yet. I've had it 3 years. I just keep lube on the oring. Beez and tallow. Works great. I use wax paper for wadding like the manuf. Does in the video. It's a shower of confetti when fired LOL. But the gun patterns pretty darn good. As good as any shot shell

Old November 26, 2017, 09:34 PM   #13
deerslayer303

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.L.E. View Post
Heck, I can pick up bucket loads of 209 primer adapters at the skeet range. Just punch out the old 209 primer, stick in a new one, powder, wads, shot, thin card wad, and then stick it in a break open single shot and shoot it.
You can load a bunch of them in advance at home.
Of course, and I started to do just that after seeing a few vids on youtube about it. A high brass she'll would be ideal. But when I found out about the adapter it's so much easier. On an H&R shotgun you kinda have to use your thumb to keep the ejector from slinging your adapter out when opening the breech.